Trays in Buffet?

joeaid

We recently returned from a near perfect cruise on the NCL Jewel with my kids, my husband and my parents. We all had a great time and we were all pleased with the ship, the ports and the service. One thing struck me as odd - there are no trays available at the buffet. It was inconvenient and annoying for me to get my kids meals at the buffet because they are too young to hold their own plates and select items themsleves so I would have to make a plate for one, bring it to the table, return make another bring it to the table and so on. had I had a tray, I would be able to get this done in one trip. We were all throwing around ideas as to why they don't have trays but I was wondering if anyone knows the "real" reason. Any ideas to satisfy my curiouslity?

From what I've been told, some people suspect the trays cannot be cleaned as well as dishes and might be a problem with the norovirus. I can see how that's a problem with kids. I actually saw a couple that had their own trays.

From what I've been told, some people suspect the trays cannot be cleaned as well as dishes and might be a problem with the norovirus. I can see how that's a problem with kids. I actually saw a couple that had their own trays.

while we were on the Gem last week, there were several crew members carrying trays and asking if you needed help. maybe someone with children could ask one of them for help. I think the new action stations don't require trays for adults but if you have several children, now that could be a problem. order room service and save the tray and bring it with you... that would work also.

We recently returned from a near perfect cruise on the NCL Jewel with my kids, my husband and my parents. We all had a great time and we were all pleased with the ship, the ports and the service. One thing struck me as odd - there are no trays available at the buffet. It was inconvenient and annoying for me to get my kids meals at the buffet because they are too young to hold their own plates and select items themsleves so I would have to make a plate for one, bring it to the table, return make another bring it to the table and so on. had I had a tray, I would be able to get this done in one trip. We were all throwing around ideas as to why they don't have trays but I was wondering if anyone knows the "real" reason. Any ideas to satisfy my curiouslity?

There have been many speculations on this topic here. Here is what I believe and it's only my opinion.

Aside from their convenience, trays are notorious as bacterial and viral playgrounds even after being washed. Ships that wish to control and prevent outbreaks of the Noro virus have found that less incidents occur when trays are not used.

Also, with action stations like on the Jewel, I think it's not quite as appropriate for trays sunce tghere are plates at every station.

the Jewel was the first ship we sailed without trays. Now, Princess has discontinued them as well. I am not sure why but there are several theories.

Nita

order room service and save the tray and bring it with you... that would work also.

Great idea! You could also "borrow" one that has been set outside in the hall. :D Of course you won't be able to eat in peace since everyone will be coming up to you asking where you got the tray.

Everyone keeps talking about germs but I bet the lack of trays is a way to keep people from making complete and utter pigs out of themselves. I have been astounded at the amount of food I have seen heaped on trays. The people who do this kind of thing also seem to only eat bits of all the crap they took and the rest gets thrown away. I've seen people walk away from more leftovers on their tray than I eat in two meals.

If people can only take one plate of food at a time maybe they'll choose better and won't grab everything in sight. I bet NCL has saved a fortune in wasted food by doing this and I don't blame them.

What do you do with the tray once you get your food to your table?

Leave it on your table, or dump it on the nearby empty table?

If you're like most, you dump it on the empty table.

And now you have occupied two tables vs one.

There's several good reasons for the cruise lines to drop trays. Preventing the spread of germs, reducing the waste of food, and increasing the number of empty tables available.

The new "action" style buffet lines aren't modeled after cafeteria lines from long ago, where you got all your food at once. You're supposed to get your food piecemeal, one serving at a time. It's far more efficient and cheaper for the cruise lines, therefore your fares should be lower.

While I understand how some people want to carry more food in fewer trips, I think overall the death of the tray is "good riddance". It really is something to dispose of as soon as you sit down, and is one more unnecessary item for the staff to sanitize.

Also, it has been speculated that trays increase the amount of food that people will take, because often the eyes are bigger than the stomach - leading to wasted food.

A number of high schools and colleges are also eliminating trays to keep kids from loading up and becoming overweight.

It also reduces food waste.

There are plenty of other ways to pick up the Noro virus. Think slots, handrails, serving utensils and the many others mentioned on these boards.

Archived