Barcelona Car Rental

Can someone please help me out with a car rental in Barcelona. We will be disembarking the Zuiderdam and want to rent a car to drive around the Costa del Sol for a week after the cruise. Does anyone know of an agency near the port that we could use? Or perhaps even an agency that would pick us up at the port. We really don't want to go out to the airport if we don't have to. Thanks in advance for any help.:)

There are also lots of consolidators in Spain that offer good prices. We used easycar.com. If you have never been to Spain also consider driving to Sevilla, Granada and Cordoba. The Costa del Sol is very commercialized and very British. You'll get a true flavor of Spain if you head away from the coast. Of course the beaches are great. If you are planning to be there in the summer the traffic and crowds are huge. We based in Marbella for two weeks but drove all over....Gibralter, Ronda, Nerja, Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba. Highways are super and well signed. Just remember it is not like the USA. Just because a highway has an exit at a particular location does not mean there will be a corresponding entry to return. It will be confusing and parking in many places is not easy. Either use a GPS or download from a site like Michelin or MapQuest Europe......And get an international license from AAA....Marty

Hi Marty,

I'm the one who was seeking advice on Granada a few days ago. Got that all squared away. We have a timeshare in Marbella so we are stopping for one night in Elche and one night in Granada on the way there from Barcelona. I've reserved a car with Avis. Their pick up location seems to be reasonably close to downtown Barcelona.

DH plans to get a European card for his GPS. Since I am the 'navigator' I will print out maps....the old fashioned way! DH has an international license as he is from Germany.

Thanks for the Costa del Sol information. I think our 9 days will fly by quickly.

Janelle

Hi Marty,

I'm the one who was seeking advice on Granada a few days ago. Got that all squared away. We have a timeshare in Marbella so we are stopping for one night in Elche and one night in Granada on the way there from Barcelona. I've reserved a car with Avis. Their pick up location seems to be reasonably close to downtown Barcelona.

DH plans to get a European card for his GPS. Since I am the 'navigator' I will print out maps....the old fashioned way! DH has an international license as he is from Germany.

Thanks for the Costa del Sol information. I think our 9 days will fly by quickly.

Janelle

Janelle....have a great time. As I said the highways in Spain were great and well signed. You have to be patient in many cities because streets are narrow, dead end, one way, terrible parking, etc. What I did before I left was to key in lots of places, to and from, on the Michelin site. I printed them and brought them along. A European GPS would be fantastic. I use a Garmin Nuvi here and I know they sell the SD card for Europe but it is expensive......I own timeshares in South Africa and often trade for TS's near Marbella. It is beautiful walking around olde town Marbella or strolling on the paseo. Enjoy....Marty

Since you are renting for more than 3 days you should definitely look into condolidators (another term for discounters) who actually front for major rental companies. We particularly like Autoeurope (or its sister company Kemwel) who will get you good rates through Europcar.

Hank

BCNlady,

Thanks, I bought my tickets online last week.

Do you know how far the downtown AVIS office, Corcega 293/295, is from the port in Barcelona?

Thank you, Janelle

I would say 20 cab ride, maximum 30 min.

Why don't you take a train (the new high speed train) Barcelona-Cordoba and you rent a car then? Even if we have good roads and good signals (frequently thinking in tourists) There are 900 boring Km Barcelona to Granada.

Archived