What HAL does for the hearing handicapped

Sundagger

Ooops, that last post was a bit out of context. I meant to quote the post asking what type of HAs we are using...

About ASL, I have only learned how to sign letters, and that I learned from DH who knew ASL before we met. Funny we ended up together... I'm fortunate because he has a loud and deep voice, so I understand him perfectly. I'd love to go to an adult ASL class. We have several local schools for deaf children, but I don't think any of them offer classes for adults. I think I'll call and see if they know of any local offerings.

Does anyone know if "Signing Times" still being shown on public TV?

I began with in-the-ear aids, but my eventual need for amplification required me to go to the BTE model. In my case, after years of having to tell people that I couldn't hear well, I actually welcomed having something more obvious. An awful lot of people still don't see them despite my turning an ear towards them. The latest earmold compounds are much better than they used to be - they last longer, stay pliable longer, don't shrink as they harden. I really haven't looked into the open ear tubing and my audiologist hasn't mentioned it.

Our local community college has ASL courses - I'm looking into them now. I had thought of doing the online or DVD courses, but then I wouldn't get any feedback as to whether I'm forming the "words" correctly.

etoile - you may recall from the Disability board - doesn't RCI provide ASL terps as companions upon request? I know HAL doesn't - have you heard of any other lines that provide human assistance?

Actually, Sundagger, every line provides ASL terps! The ADA doesn't quite apply to cruise ships yet, but they all know that if one line provides them, all the deaf people will sail that line only, so they all provide them. I know Carnival, RCI, Celebrity, NCL, and Princess do, and especially since HAL is owned by Carnival, they would as well! (The daughter of a Carnival executive is also an interpreter, I met her once.) Those jobs are extremely competitive, everybody wants to interpret on the cruises, LOL! Sometimes they don't pay you in cash...they pay you in a free cruise at a later date...so you can see why they are popular! :D

Sundagger, thanks for your explanation of the Cap Tel Phone. It sounds like quite a process for someone calling you to go through? Not perhaps a family member or good friend, but just a question to a business or public entity. I remember how time-consuming the Relay Service was. Is the phone amplified like the Walker Clarity and can you use it just as a phone also?

Etoile, if you are in the deaf world as an interpreter, could you let me know the current attitude (if there even is one) to those of us who are late deafened and might want to be welcomed into their activities?

Sundagger, thanks for your explanation of the Cap Tel Phone. It sounds like quite a process for someone calling you to go through? Not perhaps a family member or good friend, but just a question to a business or public entity. I remember how time-consuming the Relay Service was. Is the phone amplified like the Walker Clarity and can you use it just as a phone also?

Etoile, if you are in the deaf world as an interpreter, could you let me know the current attitude (if there even is one) to those of us who are late deafened and might want to be welcomed into their activities?

Yes, the Captel has controls for volume (I think it's a 55db boost) and tone. It has a variety of functions that you can set up via the LCD screen, such as pre-programmed numbers and how many captioned conversations that it retains in memory. Of my 4 amplified phones, it is the best - even if it didn't have the captions.

The relay process for the captioning is awkward and I wouldn't use it for casual conversations (although I'm sure some people do), just for things like business' customer service conversations. Since there is a delay while the captioner repeats what the called person says, you have to tell the person you called to be patient while the captions scroll through, then you can respond to them.

etoile - I just emailed the Accomodation and Access department at HAL to see if they have interpreters on all ships and all cruises, or just when requested. I also asked if the terp can go on excursions if I were to pay.

etoile - I just emailed the Accomodation and Access department at HAL to see if they have interpreters on all ships and all cruises, or just when requested. I also asked if the terp can go on excursions if I were to pay.

Oh, it will definitely only be when requested, and you have to give at least 60 days' notice. But they should be available on all sailings if you allow that advance time. I've never heard of terps going on shore excursions, though...you might be able to arrange with one of them on the side, but don't quote me on that!

Oh, it will definitely only be when requested, and you have to give at least 60 days' notice. But they should be available on all sailings if you allow that advance time. I've never heard of terps going on shore excursions, though...you might be able to arrange with one of them on the side, but don't quote me on that!

(For anyone wondering if HAL answers emails - it took less than an hour for them to response to my questions about ASL interpreters.)

Yes, you are correct about HAL providing interpreters. It's a little more involved than just asking for one, though. The details are in a Confidential & Private communication (maybe due to ADA confidentiality requirements?), but I'll share them with anyone seriously interested in the details - sfj@thesundagger.com

Etoile, I don't mean to be in-your-face, but I would really appreciate your thoughts about the above question. I believe you mentioned in one of your posts something about if one learned ASL, one would have an opportunity to meet others who also signed. Am I misinterpreting your meaning?:confused:

Etoile - I am also interested in your answer re the deaf society accepting late deafened people into their midst. Since I am losing the hearing society I need to fit in somewhere - I miss all the camaraderie and fun that I used to have interacting with hearing people. Since I can't hear the conversations anymore I tend to withdraw from social life - too bad, but a fact of life.

Re the ASL - my Dh and I will keep at it because he is so tired of repeating everything several times and having to be right in my face before I can hear him - he is making more effort and will often sign when I can't hear. My DIL learned signing in college but doesn't seem interested in teaching our grandchildren to sign so they can communicate with me. when she signs for me she goes lightning fast and of course I can't get it. So she just stops.

There is a site on the net where they sign words for you in slow, medium or fast speed. It is very helpful. The site is http://asl.ms/

Oh, sorry I missed the question the first time!

The most important thing about being accepted into the Deaf community is having the right attitude. If you come in with the attitude of "yeah, I'm hard of hearing, but I'm only learning ASL because I have to" then you will probably get the cold shoulder from a lot of deaf people. If you express a genuine interest in getting to know them, they will be friendly back to you! One of the most important things is having shared experiences - for example, knowing what it's like to sit at the dinner table staring at your plate because you can't hear or can't follow the conversation. If you have the same experiences people in the Deaf community do - even if you started having those experiences later in life - then you already "get" it.

A great many people come to the Deaf community later in life. I would say that many deaf people think it's a wonderful thing when a late-deafened person realizes that they don't have to struggle with hearing people when they can communicate easily with deaf people. I'm not saying you are expected to give up your hearing friends! Just that most deaf people will be glad you recognize the difficulties of living in the hearing world, and they will be glad that you are interested in meeting them and learning from them.

Again, if you are grouchy about it - "I have to learn ASL because I can't hear and I can't read lips well, but I don't really WANT to" - then people will pick up on that. If you are just looking at trying out a new way of communicating that might make your life easier, you will be welcomed with open arms!

Golfette: Learning ASL will open you up to a new community, a place where you aren't always struggling to read lips or straining to hear people. When you meet people who sign, you will see how much easier it is! Nobody expects that you would be fluent in six months, it often takes several years to achieve fluency, but after one class (for a few weeks or a season) you would find that you are able to communicate with signing deaf people. It will definitely take you places!

Juanita: Sounds like your DIL simply wasn't patient! There's no reason to sign so fast that you can't catch it, she could have slowed down and helped you out rather than giving up on you.

Wow... Seeing how other HOH folks are adapting or not adapting to being HOH makes me feel like I've found a little community and I'm not alone anymore.

Oh yeah, it's very frustrating to be out to dinner with friends and not hear most of the conversation. The only people who have patience with me are my DH and my own family (his family is okay about it, but not as accommodating).

I know the social aspects of my life haven't ever really been all that strong, and that's simply because I can't participate 100% in conversations. I think that joining an adult ASL class would have quite an impact on my sociability. :) I seriously never thought about it since mostly I've been embarrassed by my hearing loss so don't really openly talk about it.

Thanks for starting this thread. Seriously, thank you.

Hi Dave,

Glad you can use your captioned phone at work. Where I worked until retirement last year had a very sophisticated phone system and the IT people wouldn't allow any non-company owned equipment to be attached through it. I got my Captel through a Federal/state program - it's technically a loaner. Did you have to purchase yours or was there a program to provide them where you are? (I understand that the program I was able to use no longer exists)

Wow, I'm loving has this thread grown. such GREAT knowledge to be shared by everyone. I'm learning so much.

Sundagger - Yes, my work paid for the Captel phone - they had no choice due to ADA. I work for one of the larger banks on Wall Street and i was very concerned about the security folks not allowing me to have it, but it was never an issue. I have the 2-line model and sometimes bring it home when i expect to be called after-hours for support. when home i find that it works just as well in the 1-line model. Yes, there's a delay but i can live with that. Their support told me that if the buffer starts falling behind that i can just hit any number on the big keypad and it will flush the buffer and bring me up to date instantly. I may miss some but at least i'll only be 5-7 seconds behind instead of 1.5 minutes (which has happened on long conference calls when i don't say anything). When getting numbers and important information I always make the person repeat it so that i can check the captioning person. If i see it come out two different ways i ask again until two of them match. ;)

Just one thing i noticed of your review; you had stated that to recieve a call the person calls the Relay number. that is not the way it works - at least not in NJ. They call me directly. Not sure if this is a state-to-state thing or not?

etoile - my sister signs even though she hears better than i do. She loves it but i never seem to have the time. Is signing something that can be learned casually or do you really have to keep at it? I think my DW would do it if she thought it would really help, but i just worry about my commitment.

As for the type of hearing aids; i started with the ITE's but as my hearing has gotten worse i can only use the BTE's because i need more horsepower than what the ITE's can offer. the ITE's use a smaller battery than the BTE's. Your aud will know best for your range of hearing loss but my (uneducated) guess would be that you'd be capable of wearing a open fit since you're only now noticing the hearing loss. go for the style! :D

Sundagger hit it right on the head when he said to go to an acredited aud, though. Anyone can sell hearing aids - and i mean ANYONE. My MIL went to Sears and bought a pair that have never worked correctly. Sure, they didn't cost as much, but they work about as well as her discounted price. I know we're not all on the same budget, but this is your hearing you're talking about. Only you can decide how much it's worth to you.

(i now step down from my soapbox)

Planetsis - thanks for the info on the Wydex Diva. my Phonak's are only a year old so i'm sure it will be a while before i replace them. actually, i've been told that i'm a candidate for a cochlear implant so i'm thinking about that being my next move if my hearing gets any worse.

from what i understand there's a hybrid cochlear implant that they're using now - still early in use. it doesn't render the inner ear inoperable so there is less risk if the operation is not a succes. if anyone has any more information or has heard/read any reviews i'd be more than receptive to hearing about it.

thanks again, everyone!

(geez, i'm long-winded!)

-Dave.

Wow, I'm loving has this thread grown. such GREAT knowledge to be shared by everyone. I'm learning so much.

Just one thing i noticed of your review; you had stated that to recieve a call the person calls the Relay number. that is not the way it works - at least not in NJ. They call me directly. Not sure if this is a state-to-state thing or not?

-Dave.

Dave - that's the difference between having one line and two. Here's what Captel says:

"With 1-Line CapTel: To get captions on your incoming calls, your caller must first dial the toll free number for the Captioning Service and then enter your phone number. You will get captions during any call that is placed through the captioning service. If your caller dials you directly, the call will not be captioned. "Call Me" cards that list the toll free captioning service number are included with the CapTel phone. You can give the "Call Me" cards to people who call frequently.

With 2-Line CapTel: If you are using 2-Line CapTel, you simply press the caption button at any point in a conversation to get captions. Your callers dial your number directly to reach you, they don't need to dial the captioning service first."

Does your phone have jacks in the front to plug an induction loop into? The manual shows them, but mine doesn't have them.

For everyone else - the Captel phones are expensive - I *heard* $400-500, but there are various programs - usually at state level to distribute them without cost. I think the Veteran's Administration also has a program, and there might be one for federal employees. As Dave said, your employer might furnish you one under the ADA "reasonable accomodation" clause.

And ... here's my mandatory HAL reference (I want to keep CC happy with our discussions here). I noticed that the equipment available onboard varied with the age of the ship. The Veendam said they didn't have any. The Zaandam and Volendam had the bare minimum and on the Volendam, the chief electrician and I cobbled together a working system from parts. On the Oosterdam, when I got to my cabin (late due to Code Red sanitizing), the visual alarm system (including a bedside lamp and mattress vibrator) and the amplified phone were already in place. I'd like to ask you to request the equipment (just requires a brief form to fill out) even if you think you don't *really* need it. The more requests they get, the more incentive they have to keep current, operational equipment handy - and know how to install it!

actually, i've been told that i'm a candidate for a cochlear implant so i'm thinking about that being my next move if my hearing gets any worse.

from what i understand there's a hybrid cochlear implant that they're using now - still early in use. it doesn't render the inner ear inoperable so there is less risk if the operation is not a succes. if anyone has any more information or has heard/read any reviews i'd be more than receptive to hearing about it.

thanks again, everyone!

(geez, i'm long-winded!)

-Dave.

Dave, that's very interesting about the hybrid cochlear implant. You might check www.hearingloss.org the website of Hearing Loss Association of America. Mark Ross, who writes the articles about the latest technologies in hearing aids and implants just had a cochlear implant himself. He is an audiologist also and might have information on the hybrid. I would appreciate knowing what you find out.

And no, you're not long-winded. We HOH people rarely get to speak our piece. We're too busy concentrating on listening:o .

Planetsis, I emphasize with you. It's so sad to think that our hearing loss is embarrassing, but unfortunately it is to most of us. Are people embarrassed to wear glasses, walk on crutches, wear a knee brace - probably not ... but we are embarrassed because we have a disability.

Plantsis and all of you - what do you do to fill your time? I had to retire a few years ago because of my hearing loss. As I start to face more and more isolation, the prospect frightens me.

Dave, that's very interesting about the hybrid cochlear implant. You might check www.hearingloss.org the website of Hearing Loss Association of America. Mark Ross, who writes the articles about the latest technologies in hearing aids and implants just had a cochlear implant himself. He is an audiologist also and might have information on the hybrid. I would appreciate knowing what you find out.

snip

Plantsis and all of you - what do you do to fill your time? I had to retire a few years ago because of my hearing loss. As I start to face more and more isolation, the prospect frightens me.

I'd love to be able to qualify for the hybrid implant. Hopefully one of these days my company insurance will pay for that when it becomes more widely available. They are very good about paying for medical expenses, including up to $5K every five years for digital hearing aids.

Although I was partially deaf in both ears (40% in one, 60% in the other), since a child, I never realized I had that extensive of a loss until I was in my late 20s, when my husband at the time was complaining about a bird keeping him awake all night. I didn't hear the darned thing at all, so I went to an audiologist to have my hearing checked and discovered that it's quite an extensive loss. Anyway, the audiologist said I learned to compensate by subconsciously reading lips and by ensuring that I sat up front in classes and such. I was always frustrated during conversations, particularly in noisy environments, or attempting to talk with people who have soft voices, oh, and even when friends would try and whisper to me, but it never occurred to me that I was actually partially deaf!

I tried regular amplified hearing aids and absolutely hated them. I have nerve damage, so some ranges are completely out of my hearing, while others sound garbled. Later when jobs got to be more competitive, I broke down and invested in digital hearing aids and that opened up a whole new world for me. I get by fine with the hearing aids in my work environment, but can't take wearing them for the entire day. I'm probably not as bad off as others are, but then I'm not as sociable (except in online environments or with my family).

The embarassment comes from childhood when I couldn't understand what someone said and was called "stupid" or "dumb". Guess that kinda stuck with me even though I'm really not at all dumb and quite successful in my career.

I work full-time as a software developer. I don't expect to retire for many years yet.

This is fascinating. I've had a cochlear implant for ten years and cannot image going back to the bad days when I struggled to hear with a hearing aid. My husband loves it too since it makes his life easier.

I belong to Hearing Loss Association of America and also ALDA Association of Late Deafened Adults. Years ago I started a HLAA (then SHHH) in my county and I learned so much from other people who are struggling with hearing loss and I made some wonderful friends.

On every cruise I see dozens of people with hearing loss (we tend to take longer cruises) but none of them seem to inform the cruise staff. If we all spoke up and asked for the equipment (someone else mentioned that earlier in the thread) they would have to pay attentioin to us. They would have to train the staff and keep the equipment in good condition.

SPEAK UP EVERYONE, WE MAY BE DEAF BUT WE CAN STILL TALK - SMILE.

I tried regular amplified hearing aids and absolutely hated them. I have nerve damage, so some ranges are completely out of my hearing, while others sound garbled. Later when jobs got to be more competitive, I broke down and invested in digital hearing aids and that opened up a whole new world for me. I get by fine with the hearing aids in my work environment, but can't take wearing them for the entire day. I'm probably not as bad off as others are, but then I'm not as sociable (except in online environments or with my family).

My goal for the past couple of decades was to continue working in a management position. I had to replace my hearing aids every 3-4 years to keep ahead of my hearing loss. About 10 years ago, the problem just became too bad, so I switched to an analysis job - it paid almost as much and I didn't have to conduct meetings. Last May I retired - now I spend a lot of days at home. I don't have to wear the aids!!! When I do go out, I have to put them in, but it's not all day, every day.

I don't imagine any of us are as "social" as we would be without our handicap. My family has begun annual get-togethers - I was at one and won't go again. It's too much of a strain trying to listen among the overwhelming cacophony, and then saying non sequiturs because I've guessed wrong at what someone said.

I admit I haven't done as much as I could to learn about HAL's accomodations for the HOH. I just took another step and watched the (uncaptioned) video on their website. I'd recommend people take a look at the "Access to Excellence" video linked from this page:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/ShipboardLife.action

It's primarily about mobility handicaps, but there is mention of what they do for the HOH. It runs about 10 minutes. It does include a TTY, but I haven't been able to get one yet.

We recently returned from a South America/Antarctic cruise on the Rotterdam. A couple on board had two young women (20/30-ish??) with them who would sign the commentary and lecturers talks in the lounge. We didn't know if they were family members, HAL, or hired. They dressed all in black when signing and traded off every 15-min or so. I'm sure they made the cruise MUCH more enjoyable for the couple they signed for. I'd hate to go on such a cruise and miss the information about what we were seeing/experiencing.

The embarassment comes from childhood when I couldn't understand what someone said and was called "stupid" or "dumb". Guess that kinda stuck with me even though I'm really not at all dumb and quite successful in my career.

I work full-time as a software developer. I don't expect to retire for many years yet.

Planetsis, I understand. I was born with nerve danage resulting in a hearing loss and what you describe above is what I experienced. I knew early on I had a hearing loss because my parents kept dragging me to doctors who gave me all kinds of treatment. Which, of course, did absolutely no good.

I felt "stupid" and "dumb" all my life too, even though I had a successful career as a paralegal. It wasn't until I joined HLAA and found so many others like me that I finally felt like a "normal" albeit hearing-impaired person.

MaryEllen, that is why travel is so difficult in many ways for a hearing-impaired person who wants to remain in the hearing world. The majority of hearing-impaired (not deaf) people don't use sign language, so they would not understand signing. The explanatory lectures on cruises are just noise to me. The same for the tour guides in each foreign or non-foreign part of the world.

We recently returned from a South America/Antarctic cruise on the Rotterdam. A couple on board had two young women (20/30-ish??) with them who would sign the commentary and lecturers talks in the lounge. We didn't know if they were family members, HAL, or hired. They dressed all in black when signing and traded off every 15-min or so. I'm sure they made the cruise MUCH more enjoyable for the couple they signed for. I'd hate to go on such a cruise and miss the information about what we were seeing/experiencing.

Sounds to me like they were professional interpreters. Like me! I work in Video Relay Service now (like regular relay but in ASL), but I would still take the opportunity to interpret on a cruise if it came up! :D

Sundagger - thanks for the explanation. next time i bring it home i'll call myself and see if i get captions. no, the phone doesn't have any loop jacks. what i do is have another device (Sound Wizard) hooked up to it and it gives me the ability to wear headphones (more bass) and use the mouthpiece of the phone for talking. works really well for me.

Golfette - thanks for the link. my aud had acutally told me about Mark Ross and gave me the magazine with his first article. rather interesting how made the decision to go the cochlear route. i am still on the fence as to whether i go that route or not. from what i understand my tinnitus may still be with me even with the implant. sort of makes me wonder how much gain i will get with it. i'll be looking into this more over the next year or two.

As for the isolation, i guess the "you're in your own little world" really says it best. i love the little world i create for myself. i don't mind it at all. i can rest my ears and my mind.

whiterose - if you don't mind me asking, what is maintenance like with your CI? is it about the same effort to maintain as regular hearing aids?

etoile - how does one go about signing on the casual? i mean (really, not trying to be a jerk) does one just figure that someone else knows ASL by seeing the HA's and then they just start making a few gestures to see if the other person responds? if you see someone with HA's do you try to sign with them? reason i ask is that i wonder how many people i've met that know how to sign but they have never tried to with me (and i do not know how to)? beyond that, how much good will signing do me in the hearing world? i want to live in both.

-dave.

Many cities and towns have deaf events all the time! There are signing dinners, signing coffee chats, signing happy hours, signing meetups...I wouldn't recommend just walking up to a random person and signing to them, you don't know if they know sign language. When you take ASL classes, the teacher will know some places you can go to practice your skills. Or if you prefer to learn online, you can look up online where to go. :)

Letsdoacruise

The maintenance is about the same as with hearing aids. Never get it wet. Keep the batteries charged, always have a charged replacement with you (I take two because I'm a worrywart). The weakest part is the cord that attaches the headpiece (goes behind the ear) to the processor. I buy replacements every couple of years and my insurance (and Medicare) pay 80% of the cost. I've had my processor for 10 years and am starting to panic that it may fail from old age but so far it's doing very well.

The first year you have to visit the audiolgist several times to get the processor remapped as your brain adapts. But now I only go every couple of years and that's mainly because I figure I ought to get it checked out.

I prefer the body processor (size of pack of cigarettes) but the new implants have small (BTE hearing aid size) processors that are worn just behind the ear. You have a choice and can pick whichever is more comfortable or suits your lifestyle best) The newer implants are much better and more powerful than my 10 year old model but I love mine anyway.

Response to person who asked about signing to strangers with hearing aids.

I don't recommend it. Most people with hearing aids do not know sign language. I sign a bit and have several deaf friends. If you see someone signing I guess it would be okay to sign hi but it's really the same as going up to a stranger and saying hello. Might be okay on a cruise but not in the real world - smile.

Dave,

If you have a specific technical question re cochlear implants, I know a person who works for House Ear Institute in Los Angeles, who is their cochlear implant coordinator and an Advocate for Cochlear Corporation. She had two implants herself and is a gold mine of info on the subject.

I hesitate to ask her about the hybrid implant in case it is not a Cochlear product. Do you know whether it is a Cochlear or Bionics, or...?