What HAL does for the hearing handicapped

Sundagger

FYI: If you're sitting and the phone rings; your dog would "tap" you on the knee with his/her nose; you would say, "what?" or stretch out your arms, palms up (sign language for what); he/she would then go to the phone and lay down. (No biting, anywhere, ever!)

If someone is knocking at the door; everything the same except; he/she would go to the door and lay down.

If someone is calling your name the same thing except; he/she would lay directly at your feet.

If a smoke alarm goes off same idea....and so on.....

It's so simplistic.....Now, the training is a bit different. I think the dog actually comes, gets you and you just follow the dog to the noise.....Not sure...I've had Brenny for almost 6 years and we are using the old techniques. Some things have changed.

When I get a successor dog (when Brenny retires), I will have to be retrained to the new ways.

Has anyone had an interesting or embarrassing experience on a cruise due to a disability? On my recent cruise on Galaxy, I had finished a hot shower in my washroom, dried myself and put on a bathrobe when three security people burst into my stateroom. The steam from the shower had activated the smoke alarm in my cabin. They pointed to the alarm in the cabin ceiling which was flashing a very tiny red light, and then I understood. They apologized for the intrusion and then left. Good thing that I had the bathrobe on! :D

Donald.

Has anyone had an interesting or embarrassing experience on a cruise due to a disability? On my recent cruise on Galaxy, I had finished a hot shower in my washroom, dried myself and put on a bathrobe when three security people burst into my stateroom. The steam from the shower had activated the smoke alarm in my cabin. They pointed to the alarm in the cabin ceiling which was flashing a very tiny red light, and then I understood. They apologized for the intrusion and then left. Good thing that I had the bathrobe on! :D

Donald.

A few years ago on the Veendam to Alaska, I had a very similar occurrence. I was smoking a cigarette under the smoke detector and it went off. I heard a mysterious clicking sound in my aids, but couldn't place what it could be. After a couple of minutes (apparently), my steward knocked at my door - which I did hear. He pointed at the ceiling and I still couldn't figure out what he was indicating. Finally, he came into the room and got on a chair and disconnected the alarm. All the while there were people walking past in the hallway and looking in to see what was the noise about and if there was a fire.

Fortunately, there was a second alarm in the cabin, so we just left the overly sensitive one disconnected. That was the cruise where they said they didn't have any equipment for the HOH. After that, I absolutely insisted on having the emergency flasher equipment installed.

With a high frequency hearing loss, there are all sorts of things I can't hear. My microwave buzzer, the door ajar buzzer in my car, and ... my cat.:(

FYI: If you're sitting and the phone rings; your dog would "tap" you on the knee with his/her nose; you would say, "what?" or stretch out your arms, palms up (sign language for what); he/she would then go to the phone and lay down. (No biting, anywhere, ever!)

I've been working on training my cat. Not really. She will wake me up at dawn to feed her - then we go back to bed for awhile. Sometimes she stands on me, sometimes she uses a paw and sometimes she gently puts her teeth around a finger and uses whatever pressure necessary to get me to do my duty to her.

I use my Sonic Boom alarm clock less now that I've retired, but I can't hear a regular alarm and I'm always afraid I'll miss a flight or an appointment. If I'm at someone's house and I need to be woken, I'll just use the bed vibrator. But when I absolutely, positively have to be somewhere early, I turn it all on full!!

haha...i was just joking with my family this past weekend about what would happen if i owned a Hearing Dog. my luck i'd be washing dishes and someone would knock at the door and my dog would bite me in the left rear cheek!

OUCH!! must be the phone! ...to which the dog would probably roll its eyes knowing i got it wrong and would then bite me in the left rear. :D

Planetsis - what headset did you get? is it a two ear or single? i'm always interested in new toys.

-dave.

I got a Jabba bluetooth headset. I asked for a simple $40 amplifier, but the corporate offices wouldn't let our office manager buy it for me because it wasn't an "approved vendor". The headset has capability for two ear pieces, but I told her I'd try the one and see if that worked before she dished out another $130 for the other earpiece. I love this unit (I'll get you the model number when I get to the office) because I can adjust it to amplify specific ranges (tenor/bass or both). So far it's working out great and I even learned how not to hang up on someone accidentally. :)

Kapricorn and Sundagger - loved your stories! Brought back many memories of similar experiences on my part - only not on a cruise.

I ordered room service breakfasts on our December cruise on Oosterdam (1st cruise in a long time). I had to sit in a chair by the door wearing both my high-powered digitals in order to hear the room service knock. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) by how many imaginary "knocks" I thought I heard before the real one came.:o

I actually use my laptop as an alarm clock. I have a program called Banshee Screamer, and when I have the volume up all the way it's loud enough to wake me up! Unfortunately this only works if I'm getting up after my wife. Otherwise it's WAY too loud for her. If I'm getting up before her, then we set my alarm on the regular clock, and she wakes me when it goes off at a "tolerable" level for her. :)

Kapricorn and Sundagger - loved your stories! Brought back many memories of similar experiences on my part - only not on a cruise.

If I order room service breakfast, I usually prop my cabin door open and wait for the attendant with the tray to appear. That leaves me open to stares by bypassing passengers, though.

My experience with the fire alarm on Galaxy brought back the memory of a much more dramatic experience when I was on Victoria in 1972 on a 13-day cruise between New York City and the Caribbean. I was in my mid-20s. In these days shipboard tap water was not drinkable. Cabin attendants daily brought in pitchers of water for occupants to drink.

On my first night on Victoria, I took a shower before going to the dining room for dinner. I had just stepped out of the shower, picked up the towel and was drying myself when the bathroom door opened and a lady attendant appeared with a water pitcher. Both of our eyes opened wide in shock, and she quickly skedaddled. Moments later, a male attendant came in with the pitcher, and I explained that I couldn't hear knockings. I saw the lady attendant only once during the entire cruise, and she disappeared around a corner as soon as she saw me. Poor thing! :o

Donald.

I ordered room service breakfasts on our December cruise on Oosterdam (1st cruise in a long time). I had to sit in a chair by the door wearing both my high-powered digitals in order to hear the room service knock. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) by how many imaginary "knocks" I thought I heard before the real one came.:o

Now THAT's where HAL's ADA package helps. Although there is a "doorbell" that the equipment can pick up, if the steward knocks instead, it also picks it up. I ordered room service breakfast every morning in January - set my super alarm clock for 15 minutes before the meal was supposed to arrive - (probably woke up some people in adjacent cabins) - waited for the knocker signal to set the lamp flashing. Worked great.

I'm not surprised at the phantom knocks:D

I actually use my laptop as an alarm clock. I have a program called Banshee Screamer, and when I have the volume up all the way it's loud enough to wake me up! Unfortunately this only works if I'm getting up after my wife. Otherwise it's WAY too loud for her. If I'm getting up before her, then we set my alarm on the regular clock, and she wakes me when it goes off at a "tolerable" level for her. :)

I live alone, but recognize that there are certain advantages to having someone to wake a person up. I'm not sure that outweighs the disadvantages, though.:rolleyes:

Now THAT's where HAL's ADA package helps. Although there is a "doorbell" that the equipment can pick up, if the steward knocks instead, it also picks it up. I ordered room service breakfast every morning in January - set my super alarm clock for 15 minutes before the meal was supposed to arrive - (probably woke up some people in adjacent cabins) - waited for the knocker signal to set the lamp flashing. Worked great.

I'm not surprised at the phantom knocks:D

That's why I was so thrilled when you 1st mentioned the ADA package available on HAL. It had never occurred to me that cruiseships were subject to the ADA. Initially I was under the impression HAL was not a U.S. corporation & I thought the ADA only applied to U.S. companies.

You've heard the phantom knocks too, huh:) ?

I am crusing for the first time this summer with RCI. My TA mentioned on the phone when making our reservations that I had a hearing impairment. They promptly sent a form by fax, while I was there, to fill in. It asked if I wanted a TTY, bed shaker alarm, interpreter, etc. I will let you know how all this works out. I asked for everything but the interpreter, because I don't know sign language as well as I'd like. I get very "rusty" because I don't know anyone else who knows it. My signing skills are not too bad, but I get lost trying to "read" it myself.

As for interpreters, last week my travel agent sent a request to HAL for me on next month's Ryndam cruise. HAL replied that I would have to provide the interpreters and send HAL documentation showing that they are certified in American Sign Language. Celebrity doesn't do this - when asked, they did all the work and provided the two interpreters on my recent Galaxy cruise in the Caribbean. These interpreters enabled me to enjoy two shore excursions, the navigation bridge tour, wine tasting seminar, trivia game and the nightly pre-dinner martini hour with fellow passengers. This was my first ever time having interpreters on a cruise.

So, I'll do without interpreters on Ryndam. I've cruised solo multiple times and have no problem enjoying cruises, as I'm an easy-going fella. :D

Donald.

As for interpreters, last week my travel agent sent a request to HAL for me on next month's Ryndam cruise. HAL replied that I would have to provide the interpreters and send HAL documentation showing that they are certified in American Sign Language. Celebrity doesn't do this - when asked, they did all the work and provided the two interpreters on my recent Galaxy cruise in the Caribbean. These interpreters enabled me to enjoy two shore excursions, the navigation bridge tour, wine tasting seminar, trivia game and the nightly pre-dinner martini hour with fellow passengers. This was my first ever time having interpreters on a cruise.

So, I'll do without interpreters on Ryndam. I've cruised solo multiple times and have no problem enjoying cruises, as I'm an easy-going fella. :D

Donald.

Here's what HAL sent me about interpreters (and guess what, one of our posters in this thread, Etoile, is an interpreter - maybe you can coordinate your schedules):

For guests requesting sign language interpreter services, Holland America Line asks that the guest coordinate the services independently. This will ensure that the guest's very specific needs are met to his/her satisfaction.

Upon receipt of a Special Requirements Information form (SRI), which has been attached to this message for your information, and documentation showing that the interpreter is certified in American Sign Language (or the equivalent for guests that are not United States citizens), Holland America Line will provide the interpreter with a minimum category inside stateroom. The cost of the interpreter's cruise fare, Non-Discountable Amounts, taxes and fees applicable to the stateroom and standard onboard gratuities will be waived. However, shore excursions, pre-cruise packages, post-cruise packages and other optional programs or services are the responsibility of the guest or interpreter. Similarly, air or other transportation arrangements to/from the ship at embarkation and disembarkation are the responsibility of the guest or the interpreter. Holland America Line will, however, allow the interpreter to participate in our Home Port Bus program, if available, at no charge.

Please be advised that we do not endorse specific sign language interpreter service providers.

That's why I was so thrilled when you 1st mentioned the ADA package available on HAL. It had never occurred to me that cruiseships were subject to the ADA. Initially I was under the impression HAL was not a U.S. corporation & I thought the ADA only applied to U.S. companies.

You've heard the phantom knocks too, huh:) ?

Yes, HAL is a US corporation. Even if it weren't, the Supreme Court in "Spector vs Norwegian Cruise Lines" ruled that cruise ships using US ports are subject to the ADA. Unfortunately, the rules and regulations haven't been set forth yet.

A decent discussion is at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spector_v._Norwegian_Cruise_Line_Ltd.

Donald.

Well...I happen to be a certified interpreter, and I'd be happy to send HAL copies of my certifications. (I'm not just joking, email me at meredith@amanita.net if you want to talk about it further!) :)

Geez, I could write a book on this topic, so I'd best limit myself this time to two recommendations. First, for all of you who lost your hearing after you learned to speak, I want to steer you to ALDA - Association of Late-Deafened Adults. There are chapters all over the US and you can't imagine the support, advocacy and education this group provides. If those of us with this invisible handicap band together and create awareness, we're more likely to get the accommodations we need. In fact, we wouldn't even have close captioning on tv, if not for ALDA - and a whole list of other accommodations we take for granted and have no idea someone had to advocate for. So, go to www.ALDA.org for more info and to find a group near you.

Secondly, and especially for those of you who expect to lose all usable hearing, please start investigating cochlear implants. I underwent the surgery almost 3 yrs ago and regained 94% of my hearing. It isn't perfect but far better than any hearing aid I ever had. I can hear in the dark; I can hear when someone is behind me; I can hear music on the car radio (if a Golden Oldie station); I no longer have to look at every speaker - some, but not all. I can even hear people with mustaches! Not everyone can have this surgery and not everyone does as well as I did. But don't let ANYone, including ear drs., tell you that it will only give you sound. What are words but sound? When we go into a new situation, such as a job, and can't distinguish what people are saying, if we stick with it, we get better at it b/c we learn to interpret the sound from this person as that word. That word may have a different sound from another person. Same with a CI. Many users have to learn to translate sounds into words. Since I never lost all my hearing, I translated very early on. If you put me at a table of 8 in a noisy restaurant, I'm back to where I was as an h.a. wearer. But at a table for 2-4, I can understand the waiter!

Good luck!

TLS in Indiana

TLS thanks for posting. How old were you when you lost your hearing? Also, how old were you when you had your implant? I've been HOH since birth - but what started as a moderate loss is now close to profound. I'm very hesitante to sacrifice the little hearing I have to an implant now. I keep waiting til it's mostly gone, but, then, possibly I'll wait too long???

TLS thanks for posting. How old were you when you lost your hearing? Also, how old were you when you had your implant? I've been HOH since birth - but what started as a moderate loss is now close to profound. I'm very hesitante to sacrifice the little hearing I have to an implant now. I keep waiting til it's mostly gone, but, then, possibly I'll wait too long???

TLS - I echo what Gofette has already asked, and i would also like to know what your concerns were before you had the surgery - if you had any. My hearing issues began when i was ~22 (47 now) and I'm understanding that my tinnitus may not go away even with the CI. If you don't mind, what is the cause of your hearing loss?

Maybe you could add some assurance if someone is in the same situation you were when you got yours done. I like to hear success stories.

ALDA looks like a nice site. looks like another place to find time for.

thanks.

-Dave.

I had cochlear implant surgery ten years ago at Johns Hopkins Baltimore. Just before my 60th birthday. They implanted my totally deaf ear so I did not lose the little bit of hearing in my right ear. At that point I felt I had nothing to lose.

I LOVE my CI. My life is so much easier and it's easier for my family and friends too because they don't have to work so hard to communicate with me. I do not have "normal" hearing but it is much better than anything I got from hearing aids.

There are no guarantee with the surgery but most people do very well. I know at least a dozen people who have had the surgery and some of them are going to have the second ear implanted soon. I'm not ready for that because I don't want to have to wear two ear pieces and two processors.

My CI technology is considered old now - the new ones are smaller and much more powerful.

Talk to your ENT doctor but I should warn you that many seem out of touch with the advances in CIs. Some so called experts are still saying that all you get is "awareness of sound" which is total rubbish - you get much more than that.

I belong to HLAA and also ALDA. Both organizations have banded together with other hearing loss related groups to get legislation passed such as the television captioning requirements.

The Passenger Vessel Advisory Committee will soon release requirements for access on cruise ships and other "vessels". 95% of these relate to mobility impairments but they will require visual alerting devices in case of an emergency and also Assistive Listening Systems in the show lounges and theaters.

I had cochlear implant surgery ten years ago at Johns Hopkins Baltimore. Just before my 60th birthday. They implanted my totally deaf ear so I did not lose the little bit of hearing in my right ear. At that point I felt I had nothing to lose.

I LOVE my CI. My life is so much easier and it's easier for my family and friends too because they don't have to work so hard to communicate with me. I do not have "normal" hearing but it is much better than anything I got from hearing aids.

There are no guarantee with the surgery but most people do very well. I know at least a dozen people who have had the surgery and some of them are going to have the second ear implanted soon. I'm not ready for that because I don't want to have to wear two ear pieces and two processors.

I belong to HLAA and also ALDA. Both organizations have banded together with other hearing loss related groups to get legislation passed such as the television captioning requirements.

Thanks for the info. I was a HLAA leader for many years and know many people with implants. 95% of them were a tremendous success from my personal experience with those people.

That said, I am still scared to death to lose what little hearing I have in my "bad ear." I thought I had "come to terms" with my hearing loss. Now, as I find myself really having trouble with understanding speech, I am going through the "grief" of hearing loss all over again. I can't believe I'm having as much trouble as I am with hearing - yet each "people" experience proves it once again.

The Passenger Vessel Advisory Committee will soon release requirements for access on cruise ships and other "vessels". 95% of these relate to mobility impairments but they will require visual alerting devices in case of an emergency and also Assistive Listening Systems in the show lounges and theaters.

I sure hope they are better than the ones installed in movie theaters in "compliance" with the ADA. The movies have the most basic of equipment and are useless to anyone with more than a moderate loss.

I have considered a cochlear implant in my deaf ear, figuring the same thing as you said - I'd have nothing to lose. I was wondering how much the technology has changed these days? Do you still have a magnetic attachment to your head with a wire to a unit you wear at your waist with a clip? I'd love to have something a bit less cumbersome, such as something that is more like a behind the ear hearing aid.

I also have concerns if my insurance will cover it. It would be interesting to find out.

I had a sister who had one of the first ever implants done. At that time, it was fairly experimental. They had shaved most of her hair from one side of her head, and she had 50 staples! She was in the hospital a long time and then home to recover for quite a while. I heard that these days, it's only an overnight stay and you can be back at work quickly?

I have considered a cochlear implant in my deaf ear, figuring the same thing as you said - I'd have nothing to lose. I was wondering how much the technology has changed these days? Do you still have a magnetic attachment to your head with a wire to a unit you wear at your waist with a clip? I'd love to have something a bit less cumbersome, such as something that is more like a behind the ear hearing aid.

I also have concerns if my insurance will cover it. It would be interesting to find out.

I had a sister who had one of the first ever implants done. At that time, it was fairly experimental. They had shaved most of her hair from one side of her head, and she had 50 staples! She was in the hospital a long time and then home to recover for quite a while. I heard that these days, it's only an overnight stay and you can be back at work quickly?

My hearing loss is due to an inherited neurosensorial deafness. I had "normal" hearing for 36 and acquired my first biaural h.a.'s then. So, I wore two aids for about 15 years. One day, I realized I wasn't hearing anything but irritating noise in my right ear so I removed that aid and wore only the left aid. I struggled with aided hearing in only the left ear for about 5 yrs. As that hearing worsened, I discussed a CI with an otolaryngologist who did NOT tell me I would get only sound. Guess he knew this was my last hope. A cousin had had an implant and I went to visit him and was so amazed at what he could hear. As he was driving and I talked to him in a normal tone from the back seat, he responded to everything I said. He didn't miss a thing, so I knew right then I wanted one of those.

I went to Riley Hospital in Indianapolis for testing and an MRI of my right ear. I can't believe they asked which ear I wanted implanted. Who would risk losing any usuable hearing in either ear? If one ear has NO usable hearing, go for it! Obviously, you have nothing to lose and much to possibly gain. Anyway, as it turned out my company's insurance denied my request for coverage and the ensuing appeal. Since it was a self-funded plan, there was no recourse. We couldn't ask the state insurance commission to step in b/c they have no jurisdiction over private plans.

A few months after my claim request was denied, the company downsized by 10% and guess who was one of the 20 to be let go? This was a major blessing in disguise. It allowed me to apply for SS Disability, which is much easier to get once you pass 55 and I was 56. The otolaryngologist in Indy and a local one both sent the paperwork to SS. Six months later, I was granted Disability. Once you have SSD, you have to wait two yrs to get Medicare, regardless of your age. As soon as SS sent my Medicare number, long before it was to take effect, I called the surgeon's office in Indy to schedule the implant. I did this b/c I knew they were scheduling surgeries 3 mos. out and I didn't want to wait any longer than necessary. They agreed to schedule my surgery in May and I had the surgery in July of 2005. And, yes, it was only an overnight stay and they no longer shave your head. I was able to eat supper about 2 hrs out of recovery.

My only fear before the surgery was that I would die on the operating table. I felt I'd waited so long for this - over 3.5 yrs since first getting the recommendation from my local ear dr. - that I just wouldn't live to use and enjoy it. My brother and nephew took me to Indy the day before surgery and I stayed overnight with a friend while the guys stayed at a motel near the hospital. I had to be at the hospital by 6:00 A.M. I made sure my nephew was the last person I spoke to before I walked to the operating room. When they woke me in Recovery, the first thing I said was, "Am I alive?" And indeed I was. And pain free to boot.

Not long after being settled into a hospital room, the nurse came in to ask me to rate my pain. I told her "My back, an 8" from lying flat on the operating table for about 5 hrs, I think it was, including recovery. "My hands, a 6" (from them beating around, trying to get a vein) and "My head, a 4." I didn't take half the pain pills I was supposed to. I was able to get up to use the bathroom on my own. I was released the next morning and went to my friend's house to overnight. A cousin who works at IU Med Center where my surgery took place was heading "home" on Saturday, so I bummed a ride with her. I had originally planned to spend a week with my friend in case something went wrong, but I felt great and was anxious to get home to my dog and my own bed.

The following week, I had a bit more discomfort but nothing that required more than Advil. The most discomfort centered around sleeping. Just difficult to get comfortable when you can sleep on only one side. And this goes on for about a month while you're healing and the little bit of hair that was shaved is growing back in and itching. The stitches are a bit irritating for a short time. But, then, everything heals and you go back to get connected and when you hear the audiologist speaking just as clear as a bell and the tears start to flow. You're witness to a miracle!

Sorry this is so long. If anyone wants to e-mail me privately, my addy is TLSEVIN@AOL.COM.

Terri

Terri

What an inspiring story. I am so glad you did not give up but it must have been tough having to wait over three years after you had made your decision. I have an HMO and at first they wanted to send me to a surgeon who had only done 12 implants over the past 5 years. I said that was not enough experience and finally the HMO signed a contract with Johns Hopkins and now send all their CI patients there.

I started to lose my hearing as a teenager, got my first hearing aid at 22 and by my forties I was essentially deaf - relying on lipreading for all communication. So the implant is a huge improvement. Of course at night and other times when I have to remove the CI, I am totally deaf. So if you see an older lady swimming around in the pool, totally oblivious to all the screaming kids and other noises, that might be me.

I went home a few hours after surgery and had very little pain or bleeding but it varies from person to person. One friend had serious vertigo after the surgery and lost 20 lbs because she could not keep food down but guess what next month she will have a CI in her other ear - she wants to hear it all.