Help me select

Ok I have a few options for our first cruise. It will be in August of 2009. Two things that helped make my decision are price and length. It basically had to be 5 day, because I didn't want to go shorter in fear of hitting too big of a party crowd. I like to have fun, but am not into getting drunk and not even remembering my cruise. Have nothing against those who do, it is just not for me. August kind of scares me, due to hurricanes, but the price is drastically better than June or July. I need to go during the summer, because although I am not taking my kids, I do not want my parents to have to get them to school and do the homework routine and all that. Summer will be easier for them.

Here are my options, can you please let me know which you would pick or would absolutely avoid and why?

1. Fascination from Jacksonville Key west/Nassau

2. Fascination from Jacksonville Nassau/Half Moon Kay

3. Destiny from Miami Grand Cayman/Ocho Rios

4. Inspiration from Tampa Grand Cayman/Cozumel

All are 5 days in length. Thanks in advance.

I've narrowed it down to two for you...lol!

#2 - I do not care for Nassau at all, but, I believe HMC will make up for that.

#4 - GC and Coz....can't go wrong with these ports. Stingrays in GC and a beach in Cozumel!

I would go with Inspiration. She has already had her makeover.

Plus the ports of coz and GC are perfect. Beautiful beaches.

Also, I am a little partial . I have been on the Inspiration 3 times.

Although the last time was in 2000, I love that ship.

If you want a balcony cabin you would need to choose the Destiny.

However, I would much rather have the port of Cozumel than Ocho.

1. Fascination from Jacksonville Key west/Nassau

2. Fascination from Jacksonville Nassau/Half Moon Kay

3. Destiny from Miami Grand Cayman/Ocho Rios

4. Inspiration from Tampa Grand Cayman/Cozumel

All are 5 days in length. Thanks in advance.

3 or 4 I live in Fla so Key West is out for me. Besides, you won't get any real deals on souveniers there. Nassau is filthy so stay away, imho. If the seas are rough you may not be able to get into Grand Cayman. Now there is a negative for all four, however, If you do get into Grand Cayman you will love it. Sting Ray City is a great excursion. We love Cozumel for scuba and snorkel and Ocho Rios is a better port than Montego Bay. Plenty to do in Ocho. Dunns River Falls, Zip cording, etc. Even though I don't like Nassau, you can go to Atlantis and have a great time. Good Luck and have fun choosing. It's part of the trip, planning and dreaming.:)

PS If I were cruising from July thru Oct, I would purchase travel insurance, just in case.

Ok, right now I am leaning toward Inspiration. I would prefer a balcony room, but seems for the length of the cruise I am looking for, price and destination, I will be in an OV. The good thing is it is my first cruise, so nothing to compare it to. I think if I started out on a balcony, I may always want one. This way I have something to look forward to in the future.

I can't find many threads about Inspiration. The search engine being down certainly doesn't help. Can anyone direct me to one? I see quite a few "All things ______" threads on specific ships, but don't see one for inspiration. Thank you again, I am sure I will have more questions.

Ok, right now I am leaning toward Inspiration. I would prefer a balcony room

Be careful. If you want a balcony, ask your TA/PVP if it has an obstructed view. Our PVP talked us out of a balcony on the Imagination, identical sister of Inspiration) because the life boats blocked the view. We booked late so the obstructed view could have been on balcony rooms that were available when we booked. She suggested an OV and I am glad she let us know. It was the first time we didn't have a balcony and I am glad I didn't pay the extra and then be upset.

Scroll to the top of the page, and you will see a link for "Reviews". Click on that and then go to "Member Reviews" for the Inspiration (or any other ship you want to read reviews about). You can get lots of info there.

Be careful. If you want a balcony, ask your TA/PVP if it has an obstructed view. Our PVP talked us out of a balcony on the Imagination, identical sister of Inspiration) because the life boats blocked the view. We booked late so the obstructed view could have been on balcony rooms that were available when we booked. She suggested an OV and I am glad she let us know. It was the first time we didn't have a balcony and I am glad I didn't pay the extra and then be upset.

Obstructed views on this ship (Fantasy Class) are only in some of the category 11 staterooms, not the category 12 staterooms which are non obstructed at all.

Ok, right now I am leaning toward Inspiration. I would prefer a balcony room, but seems for the length of the cruise I am looking for, price and destination, I will be in an OV. The good thing is it is my first cruise, so nothing to compare it to. I think if I started out on a balcony, I may always want one. This way I have something to look forward to in the future.

I can't find many threads about Inspiration. The search engine being down certainly doesn't help. Can anyone direct me to one? I see quite a few "All things ______" threads on specific ships, but don't see one for inspiration. Thank you again, I am sure I will have more questions.

The Inspiration would be the way to go, especially with its new waterpark and makeover.

And if you can't find an "All Things Inspiration" thread, and if there really isn't one, then create one :)

Also, I used the "Maps" thing on my iPhone and I only entered "Pennsylvania" as the start and entered the port cities you listed. The Inspiration would be 19 hours and 41 minutes away, the Fascination would be 16 hours away, and the Destiny will be 21 hours away. So, again, I root for the Inspiration, since it's only 3 more hours away from the Fascination, and everyone's talking about the Inspiration here.

I would also consider the ports you are leaving from.

I have never left through Jacksonville, but I assume it would be fairly easy to get through.

Tampa is fairly easy to drive through, the airport is short distance from the port, and the port is directly off of I-275.

The port in Miami is just a mess. Crowded and disorganized. Not to mention the drive there is not ideal and bad traffic is always an issue. (especially if you are coming from the airport or down I-95)

Archived