formal nights for dining

how many formal nights are there on the fos 7 night cruise?

and .........

for women what is the dress code like on the formal nights ? my problem is that i do not want to wear a dress or anything sequin. i do have black slacks with a very dressy blouse i hope that is ok......

please give me any other suggestions for formal night

You will be dressed fine! There will be some people who will dress their absolute best (gowns and suits) but don't let that spoil any of your fun. Most cruise ships have relaxed their formal night attire down to khaki pants and polos - your slacks and blouse will be wonderful.

And besides, one reason that people dress extravagantly on formal nights because many ships have photographers that will be taking pictures for later purchase - and they want to buy those pictures for souveniers.

So, don't worry, have fun and enjoy the whole dining experience! ;)

any of your fun. Most cruise ships have relaxed their formal night attire down to khaki pants and polos - your slacks and blouse will be wonderful.

RCCL lists theirs as suit or tuxes, NOT your above description and in my experience most people follow the guidelines.

RCCL lists theirs as suit or tuxes, NOT your above description and in my experience most people follow the guidelines.

I agree, many people do wear suits & dresses, but the cruises that I have been on - where a party member choses to wear slacks, khakis, polos, button up shirts/blouses - these have all been accepted. Maybe they weren't guideline standard - but accepted nonetheless.

I was just stating that regardless of what you choose to wear (sequined gown or slacks & blouse) do not be intimidated by those who don fur coats and tuxes, have fun on your cruise - lord knows you've paid too much money to not have a good time. :p

Wasn't Girbil Fur just being facetious? I don't think he really meant formal nights suggest twill pants and polo shirts. He meant it to be funny...I think.:confused:

My answer to the OP would be that what she suggests will be the minimal acceptable, most especially of the top is very dressy and her shoes and accessories are very dressy. She should know, however, that most women will be wearing cocktail dresses or formal gowns or what I call "formal pants" or "formal skirts" with very dressy (beaded, sequined, embroidered, etc) tops. The formal pants are made of chiffon or crepe or silk or very dressy fabrics. Palazzo pants are an example.

Another alternative for the OP would be to wear exactly what she suggests, but eat in one of the other dining venues rather than eat in the main dining room. She could eat in Portofino or chops or in the Windjammer, for example. Or she could order room service.

Sorry, Gerbil Fur, I was typing the same time as yoru were. I guess you beat me to it. You have explained yourself very well. I understand what you mean now. Again, my apologies.

No apologies Heavy Surf! :)

I only wish that I had read through my original post for clarity purposes before clicking "Submit" - that's my fault, I never mean to mislead.

You don't need "sequins" to be dressy and formal... Evening pants (silk or some other "flow-y material") and an evening appropriate blouse or shirt is fine.

Think of it this way--if you would wear it to the office, or school or church, it is NOT formal!

It's true--it doesn't mean you CAN'T wear it-- but you won't be in the majority on "formal" night!

Archived