~florida Rocking~ Does Alaska Ever Get Realllllly Good Storms???

worfsmom

Just wondering if Alaska ever gets really "good" storms, hurricane type? Or do they blow themselves out by the time they work their way across the Pacific?

I would imagine they could get nasty ones in the Gulf of Alaska, but what about southeast?

Second question... has anyone ever done an alaskan cruise down to L.A?

Does the ship sail back down thru the inside passage or do they sail down on the outside in the Pacific?

Thanks all

Just wondering if Alaska ever gets really "good" storms, hurricane type? Or do they blow themselves out by the time they work their way across the Pacific?

I would imagine they could get nasty ones in the Gulf of Alaska, but what about southeast?

Hell yes. Plus it's typically not 75F when they come along. The Hillside area of Anchorage gets 100 knot winds once every few years, usually when the temperature is well below freezing. Try that for wind chill.

The Gulf gets big storms; the Bering Sea gets really big storms, and sure, some of them hit land in SE. Most towns in SE are situated in the lee of hills or in harbors so that the brunt of the weather doesn't hit head on; otherwise the towns wouldn't still be there. Still get Takus, though.

great info............. will pack the heavy duty seasickness pills for next year:D

Will bring along the duct tape to strap myself in. I am a bit of a sicko, but would love to "just once" have realllllllly rough weather, but nothing too much to interfer with the food trough!

One of my cruises- I think in 1998?? Had 3 full days of "bad" weather with the ship rocking and rolling. But now ships are no where near "small" enough to even feel like you are on a ship. My "best" rough sailing lasted 4 days out of LA to the Mexican Rivera on the Stardancer in 1986- the waves were OVER the foredeck of the ship, everything shut down, you had to walk down stairways backwards -like on a ladder, slammed side to side walking down halls. Certainly one of my better cruises. :)

I really am the worst sailor......seasick big time, but I do love the thrill of a good storm. :eek: Last Alaska cruise, we had really bad rolling one night, we both roll right to the edge of the bed(lasted about 4 hours). It was fun, and scary at the same time, I like that little "edge" to the safe routine life I normally lead!!!!:rolleyes:

As far as actual "hurricanes" I sort of doubt it (or at least it would be extremely rare). Hurricanes get much of their energy from warm water. However, while not hurricanes, as others have said, the wind does blow in Alaskan waters, sometimes at hurricane force.

BTW- Hurricanes in the Pacific are often called typhoons. And I do know of at least one that struck the Pac NW (Wash/OR). Typhoon Freida, Columbus Day (I think in 1962, but I was a wee lad). It's still called the Columbus Day Storm up here.

-Monte

On the Radiance last week, a 90,000 ton ship, we were rocking and rolling most of the trip. One night, they stuffed barf bags into every railing in case anyone needed one. The seas didn't look bad, but they said that their were 50-60 mph winds, causing the boat to rock. Up on the 11-13 decks, it was really bad. They basically said that if you're going to be up there and outside, you're on your own.

Archived