Sovereign of the Seas...

Hi Everyone! I just joined the boards after lurking and reading the threads for a while. I'm taking my first cruise in August on Sovereign of the Seas. We'll be going to Nassau and Coca Bay. Has anyone ever sailed that ship? If so can you tell me what it's like? It certainly looks really nice in the pictures! How about Nassau and Coca Bay? Any and all input will be appreciated. :D

Hi Everyone! I just joined the boards after lurking and reading the threads for a while. I'm taking my first cruise in August on Sovereign of the Seas. We'll be going to Nassau and Coca Bay. Has anyone ever sailed that ship? If so can you tell me what it's like? It certainly looks really nice in the pictures! How about Nassau and Coca Bay? Any and all input will be appreciated. :D

Hi and welcome to CC.. the SOS.. is a RCI ship.. you would need to post on the board linked below to get more answers:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

I sailed on SOS when she was very new. I had a great time onboard SOS, but since it was way back I don't remember anything else except that the shows were very good.

Click on this link, it will take you to the RCCL Forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Fred

You are on the Royal Caribbean board now;) . Welcome. I sailed on the SOS with my mother. It was her first cruise. The sovereign is one of the lines oldest ships. in 1988 she was the largest ship at sea! Unbelievable what they have done with cruise ships. I had been on the Enchantment and heard bad things about her in comparison to the EOS. However, I found her to be a lovely little ship. If this is your 1st cruise she will not be little to you. The food was good, the entertainment was great (Miss American and court were onboard) and the ship activities were plentiful. I entered a karaoke contest and won best entertainer on the ship. That was fun. The only problem I had heard about and found to be true was there was an sewage type odor on the lower decks. We were on deck 3 and I noticed it, although it was not over whelming or gross. Just a noticable smell. CocoCay is owened by RCI and is private. It is just beach. There is not active shopping, a couple of little straw huts selling shirts & hats. There are probably pleanty of h2o excursions. We just enjoyed the beach. Lunch is served on the beach, and it was pretty tasty. I was surprised at the variety of food offered. Nassau was nice. We did a boat tour around the island that was interesting. We went into the staw market (which is a mess) and strolled the streets. Did not get to go to Atlantis. This was my mother's vacation, so we took it at her pace. You will enjoy this cruise. I would sail on Miss Sovereign again in a heartbeat. One thing I did meet was a lot of locals that take that cruise often.

HAVE A GREAT TIME.

Thank you, Grandiva for the detailed post! I appreciate the info! :)

I absolutely can't wait for this cruise! On Friday I arranged the time off from work. Admittedly I'm working on getting in shape for the trip now - luckily I have plenty of time! I want to be able to walk everywhere and do everything that strikes my fancy without any physical limitations. That includes parasailing for the 2nd time in my life!

I'm doing a 4 night cruise so there are 3 casual nights and one formal night. How dressed up are the passengers on formal night? I want to really go all out. Also, how casual is casual? I read up on it and it said that pantsuits and slacks or sundresses are acceptable for women. I'm thinking I'll want to be comfortable but I want to wear what is acceptable.

My husband and I did the four day cruise from Cape Canaveral back in 2003 on SOS. Loved it. We have mostly cruised the smaller ships and have really enjoyed them a lot.We found CoCo Cay to be one of our favorite stops anywhere. There is lots to do and lots not to do if you just want to relax.

Nassau is not my favorite place, but it was fun the first time. We went to the straw market and it was kind of cool to see how the local vendors sell their stuff. We got some straw souveneers that were made ont he spot and that was cool.

Dressing for dinner: on any cruise I opet for dressy pants and dressy blouse for formal night. I used to do the long dress thing, but can't wait to get back to the cbin to change, so now I go dressy slack set as it fits in fine.

Have fun!

Welcome! SOS was our very first cruise, and the one that got us hooked! We had a great time, and that was before the refurb. CocoCay was wonderful, my DH did parasailing, while I just was lazy and laid on the beach. The BBQ lunch was delicious. Nassau- we also did the straw market. Be sure to haggle with the vendors.

Have a great cruise!

Just returned from a 4-night on Sovereign and had a marvelous time. It was our first time on SOS and while it is small and old, it is a beautiful little ship. Our first cruise was on Monarch (sister ship) and so we knew what to expect. We have to book handicap rooms due to my hubby using a scooter for mobility and our cabin was very small (almost too small for the scooter and the 2 of us) but we still loved it. The staff is just wonderful and everything about it was pleasant. As for the sewage/drainage problem, we never had a problem with odor but every morning, when I assume water was getting the most use, our drains gurgled and gulped a lot but never had any back-ups (we were on the 5th deck). It was our second time in Nassau and I have to say it isn't our favorite place but it was a beautiful day so we had an enjoyable time. We do not leave the ship when we are in a tendered port due to problems with transferring handicapped people, so we didn't go ashore in Coco Cay but everyone said it was great fun. I must say, it was actually our favorite day as we practically had the ship to ourselves. You will love cruising and be hooked for life. Our favorite ship to date is the Enchantment and we are cruising on her again in November as she is leaving to go to Panama in December. We also want to try the Freedom or Liberty. The largest we have sailed is the Explorer and while it is a beautiful, big ship, we didn't like that there was a lack of glass and areas just to sit and look out at the sea. But, as I always say, I have never had a bad cruise and would sleep in a closet just so I could cruise! Have a great time.

Greetings to all...this is my first post on here...I have been a member of trip advisor for years but just recently joined cruise critic. I am heading on SOS on April 18th...this will be my 5th time on that ship. I must say I love that little "gem". I will be cruising with my hubby and my dad, this will be the 2nd time on this ship for my dad. We are very excited to go, this will be the first time for us doing the 3 day cruise, the last time on SOS it was a 4 day cruise and I thought that was too short. However, dad is thinking 3 days will be plenty for him.

Anyway, hope to continue to post here from time to time, you all seem so nice!:)

I was on SOS last April. You can see my review here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=535029

Hope it helps.

This was my first cruise last July and I loved it(I am hooked now) We had a great time, took my nephew for his graduation present, it was just my sister and I, nephew and his friend. Having never cruised before I had nothing to compare it too. I am glad I started out small I think in a way for me at least if my first cruise would of been on one of the huge ships it would of been overwhelming.

I know you will have a good time, we loved CocoaCay it was a fun filled day. Didn't do much in Nassau, just shopped around a bit than my sister and I went back to the ship and just relaxed.

The Sovereign was my first cruise when she was brand new, she was the largest most innovative ship at sea back then, the first with a atrium and glass elevators, I have sailed her twice.

The ship is only small compared to newer vessels but far from small. Do be prepared for some of the smallest cabins at sea, they are quite cozy, you really will only be sleeping, showering, and dressing in there anyway!

She holds a special place in my heart as my first cruise, it was magical.

MAC

Archived