what things do you need to just ask for

rols

This is very upsetting.

We do not drink alcohol so people have openly questioned why we would pay to be on Silversea when for much less money (due to non-consumption) we could be on another cruise line.

as a non-drinker, i agree... but, how about some barter action? i'll offer my champagne, plus 'free' dom for using amex platinum, for an invite to your suite with the caviar still inclusive... :cool:

lol...

Theoretically, what you infer is correct. For the price of the Dom ($150) and the (extra) initial bottle of champagne ($40), not to mention all the other drinks, it will be sufficient to buy a dozen servings of American caviar (not at the inflated price they charge now), good for the average couple's consumption on an average length voyage!

I only ask for bottled water in my cabins. I've yet to sail Silversea, but I've been on Seabourn a few times. I don't drink all that much (a stray pina colada here and there!) and I think I had caviar once; it tasted bitter and I didn't order it again.

Like many people, I suspect, I enjoy luxury lines because of their small size, service and elegance. I will never ever go back to an 1800 (or more) passenger ship. It's worth it to me to pay the extra premium for exceptional service, gorgeous cabins, and never having to tip or sign for anything.

P.S. How could anyone possibly eat caviar 8 times a day!!??

Jane :rolleyes:

We each only ate one serving (less than a tablespoonful) of caviar every second day .. it tasted nice enough. Cruise line policies are not cast in stone. They change from time to time, often (though not always) driven by customer demand. Years ago, they cancelled production shows (many people were tired of seeing any given show more than once, and they cost too much), but due to "popular demand", we heard that they would be resumed (at least on the Shadow/Whisper) this Autumn. So some months/years down the road, perhaps due to popular demand, caviar will become free flowing again.

Another example of how cruise lines are affected by this board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=683897&page=9 (posting 163)

Oceania used to charge non-American passengers a lot more than Americans due to its use of local sole agents (Silversea has its own overseas offices and so that particular problem does not seem to arise), but due to discussion in the Oceania column of this cruise critic board, it appears (yet to be proven) that it may be starting to modify its approach (only time will tell).

We should all be grateful that this cruise critic board provides a voice for us ordinary individual consumers, and we thank the volunteer hosts for keeping it running in such an orderly manner.

Archived