what things do you need to just ask for

rols

Less than 3 weeks now ... I was reading back down some thread histories and came across a question about caviar. I don't remember seeing any on our last cruise (a year ago) but then again, we didn't ask. That got me wondering what is available, but only if you ask for it.

Does Silversea have some kind of caviar? I'm quite partial to some now and again, knowing how costly it's getting, I wondered if supplying it had come to an end.

Champagne, seems there are a couple of shipboard brands, and possibly another one if you ask at the bar, what are they again?

Anything else you just need to know to ask for?

Less than 3 weeks now ... I was reading back down some thread histories and came across a question about caviar. I don't remember seeing any on our last cruise (a year ago) but then again, we didn't ask. That got me wondering what is available, but only if you ask for it.

Does Silversea have some kind of caviar? I'm quite partial to some now and again, knowing how costly it's getting, I wondered if supplying it had come to an end.

Champagne, seems there are a couple of shipboard brands, and possibly another one if you ask at the bar, what are they again?

Anything else you just need to know to ask for?

You are entitled to ask for anything that you desire!!!! Whether or not you receive it, is another story!!!!!!!!!!!!

Free caviar is readily available at any time in both restaurants and for room service. We don't know the name of the brand, but it looked bona fide. Portions are generous, between a teaspoonful and a tablespoonful per person. This easy availabilty is true also for foie gras. Hope this helps.

I did hear of one guest who wrote his own menu, night by night, of all his favorites. The story goes that the kitchen delivered.

I was actually on board with one guy who wanted to cook his own chili: the head chef helped, and the next day it was served at lunch and the captain showed up and ate two bowls. (I ate it too and lived to tell the tale.)

The short version is that they will try to produce pretty much anything, with a smile, as long as they have the ingredients on board and you give them 24 hours' notice: from a particular classic dish to a special baked item for breakfast. They are especially good with special diets and if you watch the maitre d' on the first night, you'll see him checking with passengers to make sure that the special diets were communicated correctly.

The same applies to drink, though if it's on the pay-for list, you have to pay for it. But most people never feel the need to sign for anything.

Sometimes things go wrong, especially if a freight container misses a port: if it's a drink container, they can start running out of things. But that's rare.

I believe the "caviar" on board is "American caviar" (whatever that is) these days, which is probably appropriate given the goings-on in the Caspian Sea. But it's true: just ask for it if it isn't on the menu.

My partner has a standard Silversea ritual regarding caviar. On the first night of a voyage he will call room service and request caviar without any condiment and tell room service that he would like the same delivered every evening at 6PM. Every evening at 6....knock-knock-knock!

My partner has a standard Silversea ritual regarding caviar. On the first night of a voyage he will call room service and request caviar without any condiment and tell room service that he would like the same delivered every evening at 6PM. Every evening at 6....knock-knock-knock!

hmm - that I'm going to have to try I think.

thanks all.

I love caviar and fois gras. So I hope you are kidding when you say: "Portions are generous, between a teaspoonful and a tablespoonful per person." Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ??????? Please say it isn't so.

With your comment, I just did an experiment using seasalt, and it appeared that the usual serving per person each time was no more than a tablespoonful. The good part is, you can order it again and again as you please, of course, to the extent that it wouldn't look too "unusual".

They give you a bottle of champagne to start with, and if you are an American Express platinum card member (and told your travel agent to notify them ahead of time), you will get an additional free bottle of Dom Perignon. Two full bottles should last you a while! We don't know whether they give you glasses or bottles after that because we have not tried it. At our dinner at La Champagne, we had to buy a bottle of premium wine ($47 to $1,200), we did not finish our bottle at the time, and it was delivered to our cabin the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news, boys and girls! Just off the Whisper and the Cloud and things have changed a little. On some nights in the DR, "caviar" (American river fish roe) is on the menu. It is also served at the Venetian Society party and to guests with over 250 days as one of the evening canapes, on the first night of the voyage. Other than that, if you order it...you pay for it. Oh well...all things change eventually. Enjoy.

Travelingduo, we order wine daily. I don't drink hard liquor more than maybe one drink a year if someone says to try this fabulous drink then seldom do I get more than a few sips of that. I like my wine, though, as does hubby, and we don't want a glass, we want a bottle so that if we want a glass at lunch and then before dinner or whatever, we want it when we want it, not when we call. However, they come when you call. Almost always they will bring a full bottle if you say you'd like a bottle of champagne or wine. The exceptions are the last night late when they may say they have already locked down the inventory and also if they are somewhere like the Middle East with a lot of regulations and they have trouble getting it onboard fast enough. This would normally be more for hard liquor for the cabin if you had run out vs. wine or champagne that may have come from the stock onboard. We have ordered with food or without, and typically the response no matter what we order is, "will that be all Mrs. Hoffren", etc. or that will be x minutes. Getting champagne will be easy as can be. If any issue, you can just go to the nearest bar and ask for some either to be sent to your room or at least get a glass there.

Other than that, if you order it...you pay for it. Oh well...all things change eventually. Enjoy.
Duct tape: Are you telling us that the always available as we please free caviar servings on our Panama voyage last December (which you were on board back-to-back) are the last ones we are going to have?!

Bad news, boys and girls! Just off the Whisper and the Cloud and things have changed a little. On some nights in the DR, "caviar" (American river fish roe) is on the menu. It is also served at the Venetian Society party and to guests with over 250 days as one of the evening canapes, on the first night of the voyage. Other than that, if you order it...you pay for it. Oh well...all things change eventually. Enjoy.

What!!! Tell me you are just kidding.

oh dear - that's a shame - anything else no longer included? At least I found out BEFORE we go on board (in about 3 hours time) and didn't make a fool of myself.

Still looking forward to our trip, I'll just have to load up a little more on the champagne to make up for it :)

duct tape: How much have you to pay for each serving of that American fish roe "caviar"? Just curious. If it is cheap, perhaps we can buy some on land, do you know who supplies it? Thank you.

rols: Bon Voyage! We remember how nice we felt when we climbed up the gangplank of the Shadow three and a half months ago, with unlimited on demand "caviar". don't forget the "zero-zero ice cream", you can eat it happily without much "side effects"!

:confused: Duct tape, you have cut me to the quick! We have cruised Silversea many times, for a dozen years, and a highlight has always been enjoying that caviar in the suite. Early on, it was oscetra. Now it is American- but I still love it. Is complimentary caviar now only available on Seabourn? We're boarding the Whisper next month in Dubai, and it will be a long voyage to Rome without the caviar. Does anyone know where caviar might be sold in Dubai? I hope they still sell it in the Istanbul bazaar.

I too have heard that they now charge for caviar unless it's on the menu. It's a shame because I love the stuff. I think the only two lines still not charging are Seabourn and Crystal. I guess they figure they got away with the fuel surcharge so why not a caviar surcharge?????

Archived