Questions about Kenai Fords and Anchorage

Shaka

People on these boards always have such good advice so I thought I would pose some questions.

Seward and Kenai Fjords:

First, we will be arriving in Seward via on our cruise and want to take a tour of Kenai Fords before heading to Anchorage on the train that evening. Is there a place to store our luggage between exiting the cruise ship and taking the train to Anchorage? Second, which tour would you take? It seems like Renown Tours and Major Marine are the two options. We have already booked our train to Anchorage for 6 p.m., but the tour operators assure me we will be back in time for the train if we take the Renown tour.

Anchorage:

Can anyone suggest a moderately priced (<$150/night) accomodation in Anchorage? I would really like to avoid a big chain, but if that is the best option I will book one. We will not have a rental car so I would like the hotel to be walking distance to eating, etc. Which leads to my final question: what would you suggest we do with one day in Anchorage without a rental car? We are into wildlife, culture, art, and outdoorsy activities. I know that is broad, but hopefully it will inspire some suggestions.

Looking forward to getting some excellent CruiseCritic advice!

The tour options in Seward are Renown, Kenai Fjords Tours (Alaska Heritage), and Major Marine (now owned by Renown). Any of them should store your luggage for you. There are 2-for-1 coupons for the Renown 6-hour tour in the Northern Lights coupon book: http://www.alaska-discounts.com/

Finding lodging in Anchorage for less than $150/night won't be easy, unless you get lucky with Hotwire or Priceline. Check out a site that shows what's available for your travel dates, such as Expedia or Travelocity. Then look at hotel web sites just in case there are any special deals. Unless your hotel is downtown, you will be better off renting a car so you can get around easily.

As NancyIL said finding anything for less than a $150 in the summer here is very hard, especially if you didn't book early. Hotels do sell out, so the sooner you decide the better.

Go into Kayak.com and put in your date for the hotel and that will give you a list of what would be available and then you could come back to the Boards and ask about specific properties.

Susan in Anchorage :)

In Anchorage, you might want to book something that is easily cancelable now, then look at Priceline perhaps or Hotwire? I've always liked the Ramada on Muldoon, since it had airport and depot shuttles, but outside of downtown. I always have a car.

I guess I was in a dream world thinking I could get a hotel in Anchorage in the summer for $150. Oh well! I have been looking around at hotels and wanted to get your impression of the Long House, Dimond Center, Sheraton, and Millennium. We are just staying one night, but we would like something with dining options within walking distance. I would appreciate any advice.

I guess I was in a dream world thinking I could get a hotel in Anchorage in the summer for $150. Oh well! I have been looking around at hotels and wanted to get your impression of the Long House, Dimond Center, Sheraton, and Millennium. We are just staying one night, but we would like something with dining options within walking distance. I would appreciate any advice.

There are SOME hotels for under $150 a night in Anchorage... but they would be VERY basic sleeping quarter type places.

I found some small hotels for $60-80 per night.

I have heard bad reviews on these boards about the Long House. Think it especially had to do about excessive noise because of other occupants partying.

The Dimond Center Hotel is in the back parking lot of one of our malls so you have the mall on one side and WalMart on the other. I have heard from others on this board that the rooms are very nice and something must be going right for them because they are expanind the hotel. In regards to food there is a food court in Dimond Center, WalMart has a McDonalds, across the Old Seward Highway there is another McDonald's and a Taco Bell.

Sheraton is downtown and they have a restaurant or two right there and across the street is a Country Kitchen. Otherwise you'd be probably be 6 to 10 blocks from lots of restaurants downtown.

The Millenium is on a nice location overlooking Lake Hood (largest seaplane base in the US). They have two great eating area. The restaurant is the Flying Machine and the Lounge is the Fancy Moose. In regards to other restaurants there, you'd probably be about 6-12 blocks from a Village Inn (think Denny's), a Subway, a McDonald's. a Taco DelMar and Gwennie's is out there too, I'm just not sure about the distance.

Hope this helps some.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Which leads to my final question: what would you suggest we do with one day in Anchorage without a rental car? quote]

We are from Alaska. The Alaska Native Cultural Center out by Muldoon Road is considered a "must see." A suggestion: When we went back a few years ago we did not have transportation. The Anchorage transit system is outstanding! We bought an all day bus pass and used it to tour all of Anchorage and its suburbs. It even went about 25 miles toward Palmer to the Eagle River, Birchwood area. We probably saw more of the Anchorage neighborhoods than when we lived there.

Archived