Upon return: Canada Place to YVR

Our flight is at 3:30 PM, so no rush there. Will taxis be readily available to the airport? Someone suggested on these boards going up to Pan Pacific Hotel and asking doorman to call a cab? Is there a service (besides cruise ship's) that is reliable and can be prebooked?

Somewhere on this thread is a post I made a while ago about a limosine

service I have used and recommend. e-mail me at c-to-sea at shaw dot ca

for details if interested. They can be booked in advance and are only

slightly more than a taxi. Availability of taxis depends on the number of ships

arriving on a given morning.

Taxis can be scarce in Vancouver, particularily if you arrive on a day with more than one ship in port. There's a very long queue for Taxis on disembarkation day. We've had good luck going out of the terminal and up to the Pan Pacific/Fairmont & grabbing one on the street.

If your flight isn't until 3:30, try to be one of the last off the ship so the crunch will have died down by the time you get off (usually around 10am or so).

Thanks c-to-sea. I also just tried to read on the VYR website about a shuttle service for $12 or $13 but it says it doesn't run on Tuesdays or Thursdays. This seemed odd since there will be 2 ships on one of those days. Does this make sense to you or do you know about shuttle services?

thanks so much

You've got me there. I only see the regular bus service shuttle to and from downtown at

that price and it appears to operate daily. It is a possibility but has a set route, stopping

at certain hotels. If your hotel is not on the route, you would have to get

to it from one of the regular stops, which could be difficult if you have the same

amount of baggage as most cruise passengers.

Where did you see the reference to not operating Tuesdays and Thursdays?

I thought I got the info off the airport site and now I can't find it. It was for a van service of some type (if I am remembering this correctly). My hubby read it too because I thought it was strange to have days it didn't run. However, when I ltried to look it up again this time, I saw the schedule for the YVR airporter bus and it picks up at the hotel across the street from the terminal and round trip is only $21. That beats the cruiseline price of $40. I probably should have bookmarked that just in case I can't find it again. I'll keep looking for that other site and let you know.......I don't think my hubby and I could both have been dreaming when we saw it??????

Here is a link to the Vancouver Airporter, it seems to run every 1/2 hr from in front of the Waterfront Hotel which is just across the street from Canada Place & the Pan Pacific. However there should be cabs and limos at all 3 locations as well.

You have to have Canadian money to buy tickets for the Airporter bus. I wonder if they sell them in the tourist office?

That Airporter makes a lot of stops before it gets to the airport! When you get to the airport you will have to haul your own luggage inside and start the departure process.

If many people are getting off a ship with the idea of getting on the Airporter, you could have to wait for the next bus or the bus after that.

The same is true to using the Airporter to leave the airport. The lines to change money and buy tickets are often long. Very long.

You have to have Canadian money to buy tickets for the Airporter bus. I wonder if they sell them in the tourist office?

According to their website "All fares include G.S.T. and are in Canadian dollars. We also accept US cash."

That Airporter makes a lot of stops before it gets to the airport! When you get to the airport you will have to haul your own luggage inside and start the departure process.

I've never had any transportation haul my bags into the terminal (OK, once, and he was a real nice bored cab driver at Fairchild Intl Airport/CLM)

If many people are getting off a ship with the idea of getting on the Airporter, you could have to wait for the next bus or the bus after that.

Possibly, but I really doubt it will be that long.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived