Carnival & RCC rebating fuel surcharges

The news that Carnival was involved was released in error last night, the TA could be mistaken that Carnival agreed to refund the fuel surcharges.

Carnival has not agreed that they are refunding this, I talked to Carnival myself earlier today and the girl was adamant that Carnival was not refunding anyone for the fuel surcharge at this time.

Looks like now there are two...com'on Carnival

Media Contact: Sandi Copes

Phone: (850) 245-0150

Cruise Line Passengers Nationwide Will Recover $21 Million from Florida Agreement

~ McCollum: agreement with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity cruise lines addresses disclosure of fuel surcharges ~

TALLAHASSEE, FL – Attorney General Bill McCollum today announced that his Economic Crimes Division reached a resolution with two cruise lines over the imposition of a fuel supplement on cruise passengers. Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and Celebrity Cruises have agreed to refund $21 million to consumers nationwide who were charged the fuel surcharge after they had booked their cruise. The Attorney General also advised Florida consumers to carefully check their hotel, cruise and airline bills for any surcharges not properly disclosed and to report any problems to the Attorney General’s Office.

“Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises are the first cruise lines to step forward and take actions to resolve this matter in their customers’ best interest,” said Attorney General McCollum. “This resolution will serve as a model for the rest of the cruise line industry and I expect the other companies to take this example and follow suit.”

The agreements were reached after the Economic Crimes Division received several hundred complaints from around the country about the entire cruise line industry, alleging cruise lines were retroactively charging a fuel supplement charge after cruises had been booked and deposits had been made by consumers. In addition to investigating the manner in which the charges were disclosed, the Attorney General’s Office also looked into whether or not the charges violated an agreement from 1997. Today’s agreements amend the 1997 agreement to allow for the imposition of the fuel supplement as long as the charges are disclosed in a clear and conspicuous manner in advertising and bookings.

Under the agreements signed today, all consumers who were retroactively charged a fuel supplement will be refunded the full cost of the surcharge. Consumers who have not yet sailed will receive their refund as an on-board credit. In the future, the cruise lines must also ensure clear and conspicuous disclosure of any fuel supplement charges at the time the reservations are made, as well as in their advertisements.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises will contact consumers eligible for refunds and must report to the Attorney General’s Office on the status of refunds within 30 days. Consumers who believe they have been improperly charged surcharges may file complaints with the Attorney General’s Office by calling the fraud hotline at 1-866-966-7226 or by visiting the Attorney General’s website at http://myfloridalegal.com.

A copy of the agreement with Royal Caribbean is available here.

A copy of the agreement with Celebrity is available here.

**Note to Tallahassee/Capital reporters: The Attorney General will be available today in the Cabinet Meeting Room at the Capitol directly following the Cabinet meeting to discuss these settlements.**

Just to clarify....if Carnival decides to do it this refund is only available to those that booked or made a deposit PRIOR to Nov. 15th. Is that correct or am I reading the info. wrong?

Someone posted Nov 7th, 07, I dont personally remember the exact date.

RCL announced theirs on Nov 15, so thats the date for anyone booking RCL. Carnvial was earlier and the first to announce, so Im sure it is before the 15th.

So without actually reading the article(I have too many papers to grade tonight) everyone who booked before the announcement that there would be fuel charges will get OBC? This would not include those who made reservations after the fuel surcharge was announced?

I know, I know, what am I doing on CC is I have work to do.

We booked June 07 for April 08 cruise. We got hit with an addition $70 in November. By all rights, anything booked and/or paid before November should have been exempt. I noticed Princess states on their brochures "fuel surcharge is included in price". I would like to have another $70 in OBC :D

My cruise is fully paid and I just checked my E-docs, nothing has changed. My letter from Carnival was dated November 9, 2007. It applies to the 1st and 2nd guest in a stateroom, not to exceed $70 per person. It states it is effective for all voyages departing on, or after 2/1/08. It didn't take them any time to add the charge to my bill!:(

So without actually reading the article(I have too many papers to grade tonight) everyone who booked before the announcement that there would be fuel charges will get OBC? This would not include those who made reservations after the fuel surcharge was announced?

I know, I know, what am I doing on CC is I have work to do.

Carnival has not announced that they reached a settlement. Someone posted their TA said they had, but there was also a press release last night in error saying Carnival had agreed. Carnival has not issued any statement, so its time for patience and to see if they will make such an announcement.

Actually the way Carnival did it was more egregious since they applied it to all sailings after February 1st, even those which were fully paid for before they announced the surcharge. RCI applied the surcharge only to those bookings which were not paid in full at the time of the announcement. Now that RCI has agreed to refund those surcharges, it seems inevitable that Carnival will have to follow suit. If they resist, I suspect that the Florida AG will use the RCI precedent to force them to agree, and I can't imagine that Carnival would care to incur the public wrath of its loyal passengers by acting contrary to public opinion.

That's how I see it, too.

I may be mistaken but I believe Carnival changed their contract to include that language the day the surcharge was announced.

Bill

I recall a poster on the original thread who posted the old language -- it only mentioned a fuel surcharge in conjunction with flights (sea/air arrangements), which would be appropriate. So I believe you are right.

I hope Carnival follows suit and does the right thing.....

TALLAHASSEE, FL – March 11, 2008

Attorney General Bill McCollum today announced that his Economic Crimes Division reached a resolution with two cruise lines over the imposition of a fuel supplement on cruise passengers. Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and Celebrity Cruises have agreed to refund $21 million to consumers nationwide who were charged the fuel surcharge after they had booked their cruise. The Attorney General also advised Florida consumers to carefully check their hotel, cruise and airline bills for any surcharges not properly disclosed and to report any problems to the Attorney General’s Office.

“Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises are the first cruise lines to step forward and take actions to resolve this matter in their customers’ best interest,” said Attorney General McCollum. “This resolution will serve as a model for the rest of the cruise line industry and I expect the other companies to take this example and follow suit.”

The agreements were reached after the Economic Crimes Division received several hundred complaints from around the country about the entire cruise line industry, alleging cruise lines were retroactively charging a fuel supplement charge after cruises had been booked and deposits had been made by consumers. In addition to investigating the manner in which the charges were disclosed, the Attorney General’s Office also looked into whether or not the charges violated an agreement from 1997. Today’s agreements amend the 1997 agreement to allow for the imposition of the fuel supplement as long as the charges are disclosed in a clear and conspicuous manner in advertising and bookings.

Under the agreements signed today, all consumers who were retroactively charged a fuel supplement will be refunded the full cost of the surcharge. Consumers who have not yet sailed will receive their refund as an on-board credit. In the future, the cruise lines must also ensure clear and conspicuous disclosure of any fuel supplement charges at the time the reservations are made, as well as in their advertisements.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises will contact consumers eligible for refunds and must report to the Attorney General’s Office on the status of refunds within 30 days. Consumers who believe they have been improperly charged surcharges may file complaints with the Attorney General’s Office by calling the fraud hotline at 1-866-966-7226 or by visiting the Attorney General’s website at http://myfloridalegal.com.

A copy of the agreement with Royal Caribbean is available here.

A copy of the agreement with Celebrity is available here.

Someone posted Nov 7th, 07, I dont personally remember the exact date.

RCL announced theirs on Nov 15, so thats the date for anyone booking RCL. Carnvial was earlier and the first to announce, so Im sure it is before the 15th.

don't know if this is posted further down, but it would be prior to the implementation date which on RCL was Nov 16th, cruise booked prior to Nov 16th get the refund. I do believe Carnival was Nov 7th, so it would be cruised deposited/booked prior to Nov 7th, if the settlements are the same.

:D :D I feel good today! :D :D

Big Hello to you, kidless!!!!

Long time, no see. It really made me chuckle to see your post with all the grinning faces. I truly enjoyed those earlier days of posting about this topic when you, Snorkle, others, and I were trading one-liners and trying to keep from going crazy about all the resistence being given about voicing opinions about principle.

My unique resolution with CCL had taken place earlier, and I'm glad to see that you and others will now reap benefits of staying true to your feelings as well. Kudos!!

When reading the old threads from when this announcement about a fuel surcharge first came out, there were people that cancelled because of it. I would be kicking myself right now, if I was one of those people that were shouting, "It's the principle" and it turns out that Carnival is going to following RCL.:(

Charming, you are so right about me kicking myself, but not for the reason one might think. I was pretty quick to speak with one of the senior VPs at CCL to express my opinions, and cancelled two sailings right then and there. Booked one replacement cruise on a brand new line for me, and boarded the ship on Valentines Day with minimal clue of what to fully expect. Out of 37 vacation cruises, it turned out to be in my definite Top 2! There were two wonderful CCL platinum passengers on this same sailing, and we enjoyed comparing notes daily about what a terrific time we were all having, and wondering why we had waited so long to do it. I still owe them big time, for giving me the suggestion. Had the fuel surcharge issue never raised its head, I'd have missed that glorious experience (which I wish had been longer).

Why? It still is the principal. I applaud them. They are also some of the ones that got this whole thing started and complaining to the Attorney general's office. Believe me there were not very many because most could not get out of their airfare and vacation time.

And I'm truly grateful to the AG office, who listened when some of us spoke. When they continued to ask me for some of my cruise documents (since I'd printed out everything, including luggage tags, for all six), I wondered if it was just a waste of time. Obviously not. My future cruises situation had already been remedied, but I'm glad to see that there is glee in the postings of numerous ones here online.

I was one of the few RCCL cruisers that cancelled and no, I am not kicking myself. I am darn proud I stood up and said "He_l no, you are not going to change my contract after the fact. I am sure anyone that disagrees can refuse their refund or can go to the purser's desk and cancel their OBC.Better yet donate the amount to a charity of your choice.

DM: Without a doubt, you are my posting idol for this day (perhaps for the entire week/month!) :D :D

Archived