Carnival & RCC rebating fuel surcharges

I doubt RCCL did this out of the kindness of their heart. There is something legal driving it and if that is so Carnival will be along soon enough

I don't think anyone is suggesting any such thing about RCCL's motives. They did what was necessary to make the problem go away. It is just difficult to understand Carnival's delay in reaching the same conclusion. "Soon enough" has already taken four more days than should have been necessary.:mad:

You making an assumption that Carnival will settle... as if they have actually done anything wrong.

I'm sure they feel perfectly fine about the legality of their fuel charge.

So do you feel it was "right" to add this charge to guests who were booked and paid in full months before they added this surcharge?

I would have no problem booking a new cruise tomorrow and paying this surcharge as "stated in my contract".

I would have no problem booking a new cruise tomorrow and paying this surcharge as "stated in my contract".

That is a large part of the AG's issue. RCI and Celebrity have agreed to post the fuel surcharge in a conspicous manner (beside or below the cruise fare) and charge it only at the time of booking. That expectation is clear and I can live with it. (Basically the fuel surcharge is a cruise fare increase.)

I'm sure Carnival's argument is that their brochure stated that they could add a fuel surcharge after booking. But that sure doesn't make it legal and I'm waiting for them to face that reality.

So do you feel it was "right" to add this charge to guests who were booked and paid in full months before they added this surcharge?

Yes... actually I do. Carnival cruisers have actually been put on notice for over four years now that they may be charged extra for fuel. I'm not sure how much more notice someone would need.

I all my brochures dating back to Jan 2004, each and every one of them, state very clearly in plain english that cruise rates are protected for fully paid customers, except for fuel charges.

From the brochures:

"... Fully paid guests will protected [from fare increases], except for fuel charges, government taxes, other surcharges..."

silver spoon venture man just doesnt get it. I bet he just cant wait to pay his undiscounted fare and tip heavily. Some of us have to pinch and save for several years to afford a vacation like this and every bit helps. And while it might legal to add a fuel surcharge after booking, it is still greed and unethical. And to hide the dropping value of the Dollar under a fuel surcharge is devious. Venture Man, stating something in brochure doesnt make it legal, as evidenced by the Fla AG. Hope you have a nice time in your suite, room service, etc. Some of us are not as lucky as you.

Yes... actually I do. Carnival cruisers have actually been put on notice for over four years now that they may be charged extra for fuel. I'm not sure how much more notice someone would need.

I all my brochures dating back to Jan 2004, each and every one of them, state very clearly in plain english that cruise rates are protected for fully paid customers, except for fuel charges.

From the brochures:

"... Fully paid guests will protected [from fare increases], except for fuel charges, government taxes, other surcharges..."

Not into arguing the case, but didn't the contract that someone here post on one of the early threads read differently? And, of course, this brochure statement along with actually charging the fuel surcharge, would be in defiance of the 1997 settlement.

silver spoon venture man just doesnt get it. I bet he just cant wait to pay his undiscounted fare and tip heavily. Some of us have to pinch and save for several years to afford a vacation like this and every bit helps. And while it might legal to add a fuel surcharge after booking, it is still greed and unethical. And to hide the dropping value of the Dollar under a fuel surcharge is devious. Venture Man, stating something in brochure doesnt make it legal, as evidenced by the Fla AG. Hope you have a nice time in your suite, room service, etc. Some of us are not as lucky as you.

I think you are jumping to conclusions here, I think Venture_Man said his wife decided they couldnt cruise at all this year, so the decision doesnt affect him. Thats why its easy for him, he doesnt have a dog in this fight. Maybe Im mistaken Venture_Man, was that you?

I dont have any brochures stating this and none of what Iv seen says what his brochures say, so Im on the side of this was something Carnival is trying to get away with and they arent going to get it thru. Id like to see them go ahead and resolve this overhang and move on. To me its a foregone conclusion they were in the wrong and need to fix it. I dont cruise until Sept so I can afford to be patient. I still think it will happen.

I'm sure Carnival's argument is that their brochure stated that they . . . .

I all my brochures dating back to Jan 2004, each and every one of them, state very clearly . . . .

I know I probably shouldn't voice any more opinions on this, since my beef with CCL about the fuel surcharges is completed, and I'm quite pleased with the outcome, but I'm only reminding everyone that CCL 'brouchures' are not received (unless specially requested) by the passengers when initially pricing or booking a cruise.

silver spoon venture man just doesnt get it.

Silver spoon Venture... ?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha-ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Boy... aren't you a funny person... ( I really suspect you aren't... :rolleyes: )

Clearly you must not have ever read any other posts of mine.

I bet he just cant wait to pay his undiscounted fare and tip heavily.

TIP heavily...?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha-ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Now I know you have never read any of my posts.

Venture Man, stating something in brochure doesnt make it legal

Actually, disclosure makes it very legal. Not only is it disclosed in all of Carnival's brochures, it is actually part of the cruise contract you agree to (what do you know... disclosed again... :rolleyes: ). maybe you should actually read your contract... I'll help you out, it's Section 1©. It's been in the contract since at least 2005 and probably longer.

You having a tissy-fit does not make Carnival wrong. It just means you're having a tissy-fit. Don't worry... you'll get over it.

OK. Let's just say...if Carnival had that in their brochures for years, then Canadians would not have gotten their fuel surcharges back. Right? You can put anything you want into those brochures but it is the legal agreements with their governing body that counts. If this was not illegal, the Florida Attorney General would not have filed the class action lawsuit.

http://myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.nsf/newsreleases/4B0142561763C5A1852574090044205D

I know I probably shouldn't voice any more opinions on this, since my beef with CCL about the fuel surcharges is completed, and I'm quite pleased with the outcome, but I'm only reminding everyone that CCL 'brouchures' are not received (unless specially requested) by the passengers when initially pricing or booking a cruise.

Ya know sometimes you actually have to slap someone in the face with it before they comprehend:rolleyes: But it doesn't hurt to repeat it every now and then:)

I don't know when this was printed...It could be the difference between Carnival and the other lines.

This is one paragraph:

(d) Cruise Fare does not include fuel supplement charges. “Fuel supplement” shall mean any additional charge to defray a portion of Carnival’s fuel costs. Carnival reserves the right to charge a fuel supplement charge without prior notice. The amount of fuel supplements and government fees and taxes are subject to change and Carnival reserves the right to pass through to the Guests (including fully paid and deposited guests) any increases in such items.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

I think you are jumping to conclusions here, I think Venture_Man said his wife decided they couldnt cruise at all this year, so the decision doesnt affect him. Thats why its easy for him, he doesnt have a dog in this fight. Maybe Im mistaken Venture_Man, was that you?

Yeppers... that was me. Probably can't afford one next year either the way things are looking... :(

But I will say that I do take positions whether I have a dog in the fight or not.

For example, I take the side of smoker's rights on board the ships, even though I don't smoke, don't like smoke, and have never smoked.

For me, a number of these issues are extremely simple. If it's in the contract, and a person agreed to the contract, then that person has no right to bitch about it... unless that person is just a whiner. Not much you can do about a whiner, however.

Just because someone doesn't read the contract they are agreeing to does not give them an out. You won't catch me whining about smokers when Carnival makes it very clear that smoking is allowed.

I didnt sign anything, even though now they make you click to agree to their terms. I have not yet agreed to any surcharges, but Im not going to argue with you. You can have your opinion and I have mine. thats why I quit posting in the threads about it, decided I had said my say and shut up. No one here will change anyone else's opinon and this has already been so discussed to death.

I can wait until Carnival comes around. thats my opinion and thats that.

I don't know when this was printed...It could be the difference between Carnival and the other lines.

This is one paragraph:

(d) Cruise Fare does not include fuel supplement charges. “Fuel supplement” shall mean any additional charge to defray a portion of Carnival’s fuel costs. Carnival reserves the right to charge a fuel supplement charge without prior notice. The amount of fuel supplements and government fees and taxes are subject to change and Carnival reserves the right to pass through to the Guests (including fully paid and deposited guests) any increases in such items.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

If you are looking at the current contract, it was changed the day that they started the fuel surcharge. Adding something after we booked is what this is all about.

If you are looking at the current contract, it was changed the day that they started the fuel surcharge. Adding something after we booked is what this is all about.

I fully agree. It was not dated, therefore it could have been done November 9th. I am going to look for last year's cruise papers and see what it says. Pretty sure I still have them, somewhere:confused:

Archived