Knitting on cruise?

jocelysue

I wouldn't think of taking a cruise without my needlepoint. I'm either sitting on my balcony, in the observation lounge, or somewhere else on the ship working on it. I try to find pieces at various ports. I just bought a very nice one of a Bermuda cottage in Bermuda. I've been on some cruises where they have a "needlepoint corner" but I have to confess that I've never gone. And it is great for those sea days!

Piedmont

Thank you very much for the yarn suggestion. I will check out their website. Like you I always have my knitting with me. It is very relaxing for me to knit and knit just about everywhere I go.

Chopsticks might be a good alternative to knitting needles on the flight to Seattle. They probably would work on something where gauge is not important, like a scarf.

We have month before we cruise but already have a few knitting projects organized to take with me. I think baby sweaters and hats for donation will be a good way to go because they won't take much room in suitcase.

Thanks for the tip.

Judy

I will be on a cruise to Alaska this August and see that you have found yarn shops to visit in Skagway and Ketcikan. Can you share the locations or names and if they are worth a trip to visit.

Judy

The shop in Ketchikan is The Bead & Yarn Shoppe, 5 Salmon Landing. It's upstairs and has a good selection of sock yarn (that's what I take on trips and what I buy when travelling. It doesn't take up much room.)

There is a shop in Juneau called Skeins Fine Yarns on Franklin St. When we were there last, the lady manning the shop was pretty nasty and said she hated the cruise ships. Decent yarns, tho.

I'm not sure about Skagway..and my Shop Finder doesn't have a listing for Skagway.

Have a great cruise!

Plastic circular knitting needles clear international security without a problem.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCCL - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ‘09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

I've taken needlework on cruises--usually something I want to wear and is almost finished. Last cruise I took a sweater that was done except for the rest of one sleeve. I did all of the piecing together of the parts and finished the last sleeve (knitted down to the cuff, not cuff up to the shoulder), fastened off the last yarn end and put the sweater on as we returned to San Diego and it got a little chillier out on the deck. The terrycloth-like yarn was perfect for the cruise!

The cruise before, I'd finished making a dress except for the handwork on the inside that fastened down the lining; I finished it the afternoon of one of the formal nights and wore it that evening. It didn't even need more pressing.

Clearly I should start a bit sooner on my projects so they're done before I leave home. Or not; these two projects worked out just fine.

Two cruises ago I also discovered a series of books in the Amasterdam library (and they had all 4 books in the series!) by Debbie Macomber--the series that is based around a knitting store. The changing characters in the various books are customers who take knitting classes. Each book has an interesting pattern printed at the front of the book (the item that's being knit by the class members featured in that book) and if I could have found some suitable yarn/needles as we transversed the Panama Canal I would have started teaching myself how to knit socks on 2 circular needles. Alas. But I'm still gonna, soon.

Allen, my spinning wheel (which isn't getting nearly enough use these days!) is an Ashford; I can't quite see hauling it aboard!

I had asked awhile ago if folks knew about any knitting classes on the longer voyages...but nobody seemed to chime in...

Yes, I'll bring socks to knit along on our 18-day trip...probably won't get too much done, but at least on the planes/waiting areas, etc. I will have something other than a book to do (I get bored easily!)...(by the way...knitting needles are allowed on planes "with wool."...at least the last time I checked TSA a few weeks ago.

I think I'll ask on our Roll Call if there are any other knitters out there on our trip.

Mostly, I'm a quilter so I hit the fabric shops in ports.

On the Eurodam trans-Atlantic cruise, we had a wonderful lady who went down to the Pursers' Desk and requested if a time and place could be noted on the Daily Patter (or whatever HAL calls the bulletin)

So...on our first sea day (and we had 8 in a row) at 10:30 in the Crowsnest a group of us ladies met. For the following sea days, the time and place was noted in the Patter, so the group of people actually increased as the days went on. We ended up with about 24 people who were knitting socks, sweaters, tatting, quilting (applique) and rug making (no cross stitch on that cruise)

The lady who set this up for us said that she had done this previously on another HAL cruise and the Front Desk were very co-operative.

It was a lot of fun to have the group meet and chat....a great coffee time get together as HAL actually brought in coffee, tea, juice and cookies for us each morning.

Kudos for HAL!

You can take knitting needles on a flight if you are flying DOMESTIC withing the USA. However you cannot take knitting needles on a flight leaving EUROPE to the USA.

Hi Rosemary...I am very glad you like to knit on a cruise. That little bib and burp cloth you made for my new grandson were wonderful!! Thank you again!

Karen

my girlfriend flew from Europe to Canada on either Air Canada or Lufthansa and she knitted all the way over; finished a sock (other one already done) and presented the pair to the flight attendant upon landing.

so I guess it all depends on the air carrier and security checkers as to whether you board with needles or not.

• 1 month later...

I just returned from a cruise this summer. My biggest "score" - Istanbul and the Kurkcu Han http://www.knitmap.com/locations/map/#/origin:istanbul,%20turkey/ was so much fun. I filled up the drawer under the bed and the bottom of one of the closets with my yarn buys. If you go to this web site you will see some pictures of the market http://www.alltangledup.com/movabletype/archives/000674.html

I think I bought close to 50 skeins of yarns. Yes, I knew I was going there and brought space bags and had a half empty suitcase ready to carry yarns.

Next year we will be doing our first TransAtlantic crossing, so looking forward to so many days at sea. Will have to post on the roll call and try to arrange a knit along in the crows nest.

We were allowed to knit on Delta airlines on the way home from Europe. They did have a small problem/question with my magnetic knitting pattern wallet, but once they saw it, no more questions except for the puzzled look when they looked at the pattern on the board, it was a lace pattern with just symbols and my hand written scrawls all over it.

If you are traveling, try visiting http://www.knitmap.com to see if someone has listed a yarn shop.

Carol

PS if you are on ravelry, my user name is carolcp

I looked around knitmap and the knitting community of ravelry.

From what I read, there are no knit shops in Dominica, Puerto Rico, St Thomas and St Maarten, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen.

Copied from Ravelry:

Costa Rica and the pickings for yarn is pretty slim. There is a fair amount of Katia available at a store called Manualidades in Multiplaza Escazu and Multiplaza Este. They carry other brands including lots of wool and acrylics. But I really don’t recommend it since the cost is pretty high. Import tax can be a real pain in the arse here.

In downtown San Jose near Parque Morazan is store called Le Chic which carries a South American brand of Fixation, which is in fact Fixation with a different label, the cost is amazing cheap but the color selection varies.

Acrylic is found in spades all over the place but you will likely be disappointed by the quality. My advice is bring your own yarn.

Carolcp, thanks for the info. I've been curious since we're going to Costa Rica, Aruba and Curacao. I always take a sock with me and can get quite a bit done on sea days. But I do love to see what the local stores have in stock.

Archived