Very sad about change in Majesty itinerary

BonnieVA

Shoot..for Bahamas you could also look into the 6 night Victory out of Norfolk....not sure about timing for you though. As far as cost difference, take into consideration the drive to Charleston and other associated costs...Good Luck! Let us know what your decision is!

Sorry, I can't believe this itinerary! What is the explanation?

You are absolutely correct. And on top of that in November, the weather won't let you enjoy the outdoor part of the ship for the majority of the time unless you are really lucky. I would choose another trip even if I would have to scale it down to a 5 day. Check out Carnival from Port Canaveral, not sure about prices but that drive is still douable. Carnival out of Jacksonville? At least the ship will be more fun for the kids and they stop in Key West.

Just a few thoughts.

My stomach is sick & my heart is heavy ... just found out our family cruise in Nov has changed from W Carib to "Grand Bahama Island; Nassau; Great Stirrup Cay, NCL's private island in the Bahamas; and Orlando (Port Canaveral), Florida."

My boys have gotten so excited ... & I have too ... about the ports we WERE going to visit. My boys are psyched about swimming w/ the stingrays @ Stingray City, speaking Spanish in Cozumel, visiting Mayan ruins, etc, etc. Now I have to tell them that we won't be doing ANY of that. I am truly saddened & I know they will also be very upset, especially one of my boys.

For those who have visited these ports, please give an HONEST opinion of what your impressions were. Please do not say things just to make me feel better. What the heck is there to do in Port Canaveral, anyway???? I can easily DRIVE there, for crying out loud!!! Now my anger is coming out.

I don't know if I should cancel this or go on it anyway. I'm looking for other cruises but can't find anything nearly as economical as this cruise was.

Man, I'm almost in tears about this & the disappointment my boys will feel.

I totally understand your disapointment with such an itinerary change. I've been to most of the ports and here is what I did and how I liked it:

Port Canaveral

Kennedy Space Center : I enjoyed it very much. Very informative and fun at the same time.

Cocoa Beach : Not worth it IMHO but I'm not much of a beach person and this was not the best beach or surroundings.

Nassau

City Tour and Pirate Museum excursion: It was OK. The Pirate museum is GREAT but I would have prefered to tour it independently since we were too many people in the same room at the same time. This museum is close to the port area, you don't have to book a tour to visit it. I think kids of all ages as well of adults would like this museum.

Atlantis: Took a cab (van - 5$pp one-way + tip). In my opinion it was worth it. They have a part of the aquarium which is free and then I toured the premises. You can't go on the beach or waterslides if you don't have a room booked but it is still nice to visit. It may be worth it for a family to get a room for the day to get access to everything though.

Straw Market: Lots and lots of unexpensive souvenirs, the sellers bargain a lot and if your kids have never seen this type of place, it may be interesting to visit so they can bring back some cheap souvenirs for their friends or relatives.

Great Stirrup Cay

When I went, the weather was nice and I had a fun, relaxing day. They have volleyball, music, BBQ, rent water toys and the water is crystal clear. There is also a path that goes further on the island. You will see the vegetation, a lighthouse and an old key, I enjoyed the walk and also the beach. Seems like a great vacation day to me.

Let us know what you decide.

Sorry, I can't believe this itinerary! What is the explanation?

I don't know but here's the press info:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/...Code=PR_031008

I love how they play it up & stick in amongst the exciting new Freestyle 2.0 news.

Some have wondered if it's because of fuel costs. Others have wondered if it's because of Majesty's age & trying to keep up w/ the original itinerary. Maybe my TA will have some info as to why this has happened.

I don't know but here's the press info:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/...Code=PR_031008

I love how they play it up & stick in amongst the exciting new Freestyle 2.0 news.

Some have wondered if it's because of fuel costs. Others have wondered if it's because of Majesty's age & trying to keep up w/ the original itinerary. Maybe my TA will have some info as to why this has happened.

link says page not found on NCL, as if they removed it. Maybe I am supposed to log in first. Is it just for your sailing? Maybe you can go a different week...

Bonnie,

If you had your heart set on Cozumel, why not skip the cruise this time and look into a land-based trip to Cozumel instead? It would give your boys plenty of opportunity to speak Spanish and you could have lots to time to explore and participate in what is available there. I would think that at the time of year you are going you should be able to get some deals.

I do understand how you feel, though. I had originally booked a cruise on the Gem for April and that itinerary got changed as well.

IMO this is an easy decision. Your family has researched the ports of GC and Coz and are anticipating going to them. The new itinerary is just not very good and would probably be very disappointing to them. Even if they miss a little extra school time, it's worth rebooking on another ship to go the a Caribbean destination. If not Western, then at least something more exciting than the Bahamas and Florida. But don't delay too long agonizing over it or you may miss your window of opportunity for booking at a good rate.

link says page not found on NCL, as if they removed it. Maybe I am supposed to log in first. Is it just for your sailing? Maybe you can go a different week...

Try this:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_031008

Bonnie,

If you had your heart set on Cozumel, why not skip the cruise this time and look into a land-based trip to Cozumel instead?

Because I have an extreme fear of flying. Also because we all really wanted to experience cruising - it was actually my 11-yr-old who got us on to this concept!

IMO this is an easy decision. Your family has researched the ports of GC and Coz and are anticipating going to them. The new itinerary is just not very good and would probably be very disappointing to them. Even if they miss a little extra school time' date=' it's worth rebooking on another ship to go the a Caribbean destination. If not Western, then at least something more exciting than the Bahamas and Florida. But don't delay too long agonizing over it or you may miss your window of opportunity for booking at a good rate.[/quote']

Yes, I am leaning HEAVILY toward canceling this cruise. I've spent hours all night long (stayed up until 4:30) looking for something else. If my dh could get time off from work we could take the Majesty cruise w/ original itinerary leaving March 29. Or we could go over spring break from Miami on NCL Dawn (samana, st thomas, tortola,stirrup cay). Both of these would require some hectic last-minute planning. Other choices same week as 1st cruise (Thanksgiving) would be Carnival Valor from Miami (gr cayman, roatan, belize, coz). A couple other less-interesting cruises from Miami or Tampa on Carnival too. But those would be very long drives (since I'm terrified to fly).

A general "thank you" to all who have helped, offered suggestions & told me of things you did while at these other (IMO, less interesting) ports.

I know a lot of people frown on taking kids out of school...but not me. :)

We do it periodically and it has not hurt them at all....even my son in high school.

If they haven't missed too much school this year already, I say go for it!

Encouraging, especially your comment about your high schooler since we also have a high schooler. I do worry about them having to catch up, which is my only hesitation about them missing days. My Mom took my sister & I out EVERY year to visit grandparents in FL. We turned out fine!

They haven't missed a day yet this year!!!

I have been on the Majesty's W. Caribbean itinerary, and can tell you about those ports. I have also been to Grand Bahama Island, and as a kid spend two weeks at a resort on the West End. It is a really beautiful place.

I think the reason a lot of people don't like Nassau is the area around the port. But, if you find a way to get to a nice beach somewhere, I think you can have a wonderful day there. Just not too much in the way of shopping, etc. like some other ports. I am not much of a shopper so that would not bother me but it would affect some.

At Port Canaveral, why not take the kids to the Kennedy Space Center. They shot up a shuttle early this morning. Imagine if you were pulling into port as the flames roared above you... well that probably won't happen but you can see a lot. I went to the space center in Huntsville, AL many times as a kid and it was fascinating.

The private island will be a nice beach day as well. I have been to the HAL private island in the Bahamas, and if it is anything like that, you are in for a treat.

Consider bringing some fishing gear, and taking to kids to fish off a bridge or jetty, or go on a more involved fishing excursion. Go on some hikes. Maybe rent a room at Atlantis for the day and indulge there. There will be a lot to do.

Sure, the ports are different, and many would say worse, but there will be SOOO MUCH to see and do, there is no reason to be disappointed. The kids will love the trip.

Ok, all. I can now breathe a bit easier. My husband & I have at least made one small decision ... we are NOT going to try to squeeze in the Majesty cruise w/ the original itinerary in March or April. Too much scrambling w/ a family of 6. We are going to keep researching our cruise options for our original week (T'giving), probably winding up taking a couple days to drive & sail from somewhere in FL (probably driving right past Port Canaveral, LOL). Most definitely canceling the lame cruise that NCL wanted us to take. After all, it's not a cruise I'd have booked in the first place. I'm sure others have enjoyed that itinerary; it's just not what we're interested in.

Worse comes to worst, we don't cruise this year & we'll save a bunch of money to spend next year.

If you hear of anything good the last week of Nov let me know, LOL!!

Thanks, everyone!

I suggest canceling your cruise since you won't be happy with the change of plans and since you're unhappy it will come across to you kids who will be unhappy. Granted I don't know your kids but if you didn't want to cancel, you could find things just as exciting on this new itinerary & I'm sure they would be equally as excited depending on how you tell them. Go to a Disney park in Florida or Space Center (or if it’s so easy to get to, drive down & take a new cruise from there), go to Atlantis in Nassau, the beach on the private island.

From a raised Virginian, now Floridian, mother of a son and 4 step sons,and teacher for 14 years, I have to put in my two cents here! The intrigue of going to a "foreign country" is rarely to be matched for adults, much less young folk!

I greatly endorse your attempts to preserve this as a family experience....both for them to sail with you, and for you to explore non-native ports together! It is, always, a luxury to be able to cruise, perhaps especially as a child. Of course you want to "get your moneys worth" from the experience, as well you should. Because of thier excitement, and your own research, I would be trying to find an alternative cruise that allows for at least some of the elements you are really looking to enjoy.

As for time from school, if they do not miss time on any other regular basis, several days from school may be well compensated with the cultural education available in travelling out of the country. Many schools even offer excused absence for a verifed alternate educational activity. Sometimes these require photo essays or descriptive writing to extend the learning opportunity.

I endorse you for spending your time and money with care, and for guarding the precious vacation time with your children to be the best you can attain!!

I would not be happy with the updated itinerary either. Cozumel and Grand Caymen are OK but are flat islands and do not have the scenic beauty of some of the other islands. We went on the Dawn in January and thought Samana was beautiful although very poor. It almost felt like the South Pacific. Tortola was also georgeous. St. Thomas is a shoppers mecca and although overdeveloped it also has some beautiful scenery and nice beaches. Megan's Bay is one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world. Don't have kids so I can't comment on the kids programs on the Dawn.

I greatly endorse your attempts to preserve this as a family experience....both for them to sail with you, and for you to explore non-native ports together! It is, always, a luxury to be able to cruise, perhaps especially as a child. Of course you want to "get your moneys worth" from the experience, as well you should. Because of thier excitement, and your own research, I would be trying to find an alternative cruise that allows for at least some of the elements you are really looking to enjoy.

As for time from school, if they do not miss time on any other regular basis, several days from school may be well compensated with the cultural education available in travelling out of the country. Many schools even offer excused absence for a verifed alternate educational activity. Sometimes these require photo essays or descriptive writing to extend the learning opportunity.

I endorse you for spending your time and money with care, and for guarding the precious vacation time with your children to be the best you can attain!!

Holy cr*p, you hit the nail RIGHT on the head. Yes, this is not just a vacation or sightseeing trip ... it is a FAMILY experience. I am SO looking forward to exploring WITH my boys & learning - together - things none of us have yet to experience ... food, cultures, music, language, scenery, wildlife, cruising (!), & on & on. This is not something I want to spend a bunch of money on & then just find "stuff" to do to fill time. I do understand that the space center & other things are educational but WE CAN GET THERE WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE A CRUISE. I want my cruise time & money to be spent on things that we can't easily access w/ our car. I want this to be a cultural learning experience.

And, no, my kids hardly ever miss school so I agree that this would not be unreasoanble to take them out for a few days, not to mention that I'm doing my darndest to take a cruise over Thanksgiving so they only miss a few days instead of a whole week.

Out of curiosity, what happened between your first post & your post a few minutes later that brought you to this understanding?

Bonnie, I'm disappointed for you, I know how hard you were scouring the boards and planning for this cruise. And I can understand not wanting to do the new itinerary, I wouldn't want to either. No flames on the itinerary, it's great for those who desire it, I'm just not one of them.:)

Since you don't like to fly, and driving to Miami or FLL is of course an option, that adds significant time to your vacation. Maybe you should look into the Norfolk, Baltimore, NJ, Philadelphia, and NY ports. Might be a little more pricey than the one's in Miami, but adding your gas, days you need to get there and get home, hotel stays, etc., would probably come out very close to even.

Yes, you might have to take the boys out of school and change the date of the cruise to accomodate yourself, but I'm sure all things will work out and you'll have that wonderful vacation you were set on.

The fall (other than the holiday weeks) is a great time for bargains.

I wish you luck and I know it will all work out... somehow!:)

I can understand why alot of people would be upset by the itinerary change.We sailed the Majesty's Western Caribbean route in Dec 2005 and enjoyed the cruise even though it did contain alot of sea time.

As far as the new itinerary, my thinking is that living in South Carolina I could easily drive to Port Canaveral and take a Bahamas cruise.The 4 day cruises are usually bargans in the off season ($249-399) and you can visit Freeport,Nassau, or an out island.You could easily do Kennedy Space center, Disney, Sea World, Univeral,etc with a pre or post cruise stay. Why would you want to spend more money to cruise the smaller Majesty to go to the same places? I wouldn't.

In 2004, when the itinerary I had signed up for on an NCL ship was changed, I was offered a full refund so that I could pick another cruise which more closely met my interests. I think cancelling and booking another cruise is a very mature option and you will likely feel good about it, as you will not feel like the 'victim' of a bait and switch scheme.

My two sons (10 & 13) and I will be on the Majesty March 29th. I would be very disappointed if they changed the ports on us. I took them out of school last year for a week at Disney and a Disney cruise, so I don't really mind them missing school. One has perfect attendance and the other has only missed one day. My husband and I always go on a vacation the week of Thanksgiving. Mexico three times and Hawaii once. I have talked him into a cruise this year. I am going to book the new Splendor. I would not be able to take the whole family on such an expensive cruise and this is why I am taking the kids on the Majesty. I wouldn't want to go on the new cruise they gave you either and I am sure you are not the only person who is upset. Best of luck to you and the family.

Have to say I love the Majesty, but the itinerary is a large factor on any cruise. I have been to Cozumel 5 times on other ships and never tire of that place. Once in Nassau was more than enough... Grand Cayman is our favorite though as we have found renting a car there is a good deal and lets you see so much in a little time.

NCL must be trying to save fuel to create an itinerary this bad. I understand why the New York departures are limited, but for a ship that has been going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel from a southern port for years is a different story. The 4 night Majesty cruises at least made it to Cozumel and Key West and Miami is not that much further south. I would seriously look at going the extra distance to at least Port Canaveral or Tampa to sail out of where your options are much greater. They are easy ports to get in and out of also.

I am glad you came to a decision. ONe suggestion I would have is looking at a different week than Thanksgiving's week. YOu will definately save a lot of money for a family of 6 staying away from that week, plus you will have a better time on the road. Some dates might only require for you to keep your children out of school for a few days instead of the full week. Not sure if you and your DH can take another week off, even if it is in the fall or summer.

Archived