SIM Card

DChabira

We use GSM phones in Australia so no problem to buy an Australian SIM card for one of our networks ... the main providers are Telstra, Optus and Vodafone and they all offer a SIM only option that you can buy at phone kiosks/stores, convenience stores, variety stores (eg KMart, Target) and even supermarkets.

You need to make sure that your phone operates in Australia though ... we operate on the 1900mHz frequency whereas the US is on 900mHz, I think, so your phone needs to be a quad band.

By the way, our electricity supply is 240V with 3-pin plugs different to what is used in the US, so you may need to buy an Australian charger (or maybe just an adaptor if your charger works on 110 and 240V) as well.

Cheers

Bob

I'm bringing a Motorola MPx220 and I found the specs below on the Motorola website, so it looks like it will work-

Motorola MPx220

Global Quad Band Performance (850/900/1800/1900)

I just have to check on the charger.

Thanks so much for your help!

Yes, looks like your phone will be OK in Australia.

Thinking now about my last trip to the US, I was able to use my charger in the US with a plug adaptor that cost me less than $10. I think pretty much all phones/chargers operate on both 110v and 240v in which case, you will just have to get an adaptor that enables your American plug to go into an Australian socket ... it will look something like this:

wa-16_MED.jpg

Cheers

Bob

Has anyone purchased an Australia SIM Card for their GSM cell phone? If so, any suggestions or recommendations?

I've got a Telstra SIM - I think because a Telstra shop just happened to be the first one I came across when I was looking for a pre-pay SIM. It's been very useful and easy to operate, including topping up by text message so you don't have to phone in.

Archived