Opinions/help Needed

e050377

We are currently booked in an OV on the Ruby for the first week of Dec. I noticed yesterday that the Oct repo cruise from NY- San Juan would save us $$$ and give us a balcony. They visit entirely different ports, but this is not an issue as we have never been to the Caribbean. Another plus with the repo cruise is we'd only have to fly 1 way, but the ruby will be brand new!

Would you switch to the repo cruise to save money & upgrade or stay with the original cruise. I've done a pro/con list, but am wanting some different opinions.

Thanks

A new ship sounds like fun - however - I think a balcony cabin for a Caribbean cruise is the best! Nothing like sitting outside and enjoying the sights.

Also, saving $$$ and only flying one ways - Sounds great to me.

Whatever you choose, you are sure to have a wonderful vacation!

The Ruby will offer more onboard food options than the CB and of course being brand spankin new adds to the excitement too.

Not sure that the Repo is offering ship board credit since it's discounted so much already...Ruby offers onboard credit. Airfare back one way from SJU may well cost what RT would from FLL. I do like the itinerary a bit better that the CB is offering for the Repo, but we make the ship the destination after seeing all the same islands, so the western would be just fine vs. a more southern route. The crew on the Ruby will be the best Princess can muster for a brand new ship. Not sure how often you cruise and whether time of year matters to you, but it's still pretty pleasant in October vs. getting away in December just before the cold sets in. I'd choose the Ruby.:D

Good luck with your decision!:)

I would not cruise on a brand new ship for a couple of reasons. First of all, the crew is not used to working together and it seems that new cruise ships get so-so reviews for service. Also, there are always a few bugs to work out with a new ship.

I would rather wait until the ship has sailed for 6 months to 1 year to sail on it. For example, look at the Emerald. The reviews on that ship were hit or miss through December, but lately, they have gotten much more positive.

I would definitely go with the cheaper cruise AND you have one less airport to worry about. The worst part of traveling is the darned airports with the flight delays, baggage problems, etc. If we lived closer to Florida, I would not dream of flying because it really is a hassle and expensive too. It is just not worth the two day drive each way so we are stuck with flying.

I also love the Caribbean Princess so would highly recommend her to anyone :)

Wow, thanks for all the answers. It seems everyone else is a tossed up as we are!!! My husband had a 2 questions that may be the deciding factor.

1. There are 2 sea days w/ each cruise. Will the one from NY be rougher seas? The Ruby tends to stay between islands, so I am assuming the water will be clamer. My husband does get sea sick.

2. The repo goes during hurricane season. Not a biggie for me, because I grew up in South FL. My husband is afraid of being stranded in San Juan during a hurricane. My friend who cruised was diverted to another island out of the way of the hurricane one year and just flew home from there. A bit inconvenient, but not as bad as being on an island in a hurricane. Do they still do this?

Archived