A Cautionary Tale (Theft In Miami)

I'm sad that this has happened to you.

I just want to make a note to anyone reading this story. You should never put anything of value in your checked luggage. Things like laptop computers and dvd players should NOT be in your checked luggage. The OP was lucky those weren't taken as well. And, unfortunately as the OP has now discovered, you should not leave anything like your debit or credit cards in any luggage you don't have full control of at all times. Please everyone take a lesson from this poster.

and driver license and credit cards? My goodness. This is an invitation for disaster.

I am amazed at the responses to the OP. I'm pretty sure he realizes now that he shouldn't put valuables in suitcases that leave his side. His initial complaint was regarding the attitude of the RCI employee when he called to make them aware of the situation. He wasn't asking them for anything, just giving them a "head's up". Instead of giving him grief for his mistake, his issue with the RCI employee should be discussed on this forum.

:cool:

Then tell us your opinion.

I am amazed at the responses to the OP. I'm pretty sure he realizes now that he shouldn't put valuables in suitcases that leave his side. His initial complaint was regarding the attitude of the RCI employee when he called to make them aware of the situation. He wasn't asking them for anything, just giving them a "head's up". Instead of giving him grief for his mistake, his issue with the RCI employee should be discussed on this forum.

Actually I'm not sure that the OP realizes that at all, or at least didn't until the drubbing he just got here. I think that the "cautionary tale" is not to be aware just in Miami, but to keep your valuables with you at all times and not turn them over to any luggage handlers, no matter where in the world you are.

True, although a bigger/more important issue is educating people to not put valuables in carry-ons. Perhaps some people reading this thread can learn from what happened to the OP and not have to endure it themselves.

Hi sorry for your loss

Presuming the binder was inside the case then its likely the thief touched the item, maybe you should ask the police to whom you reported the theft if they would consider checking the item for fingerprints. Its my understanding that workers in the ports (irrespective of which company they work for) are required to provide a fingerprint scan. Maybe they can catch your thief that way....obviously a lot of people have likely touched the item but its a thought

Unfortunately it is highly unlikely that Miami law enforcement would be able to devote the manpower/time/expense to so thoroughly work up a non-violent crime involving the loss of under $400.

I don't think the OP does realize not to put valuables in checked luggage, they have had issues two years in a row. The RCI employee seems to have had a bad attitude based on the OP story but there are at least three sides to every story.

I am sorry the OP had a bad experience but checking valuables, especially a debit card, is really poor judgement.

While traveling with friends last year they checked a bag that contained two IPods and both were neatly stolen from their luggage. The bag had it's tags ripped off and they claimed it at the end of the first night and discovered the missing IPods- they are pretty sure the screening equipment showed exactly where they were and someone just eaisly slipped their hands in and grabbed them.

Not something I would ever do- I was actually surprised when the told me they had something stolen. They did file an incident report with RC while on board- and followed up after returning home. I'm not sure exactly what the outcome was because as others have said the port/screeners are not managed by RC.

With today's small, compact sized electronic equipment it really does not take up too much room to just carry on a bag with everything inside.

First, sorry you got ripped off.

Just curious: Were your bags locked? I would suggest getting a TSA approved luggage lock. Then only security folks who need to have access to your bag can have access to your bag. I use them everytime I travel.

Better luck next trip,

Ed

I would like to know where the cards were used...were they used on-line or at stores? If they were only used on-line, it could be someone on the ship but if used at stores they anyone on the docks...

Did this really happen? OP not back to answer questions...

So sorry that this happended to you:(

On our first cruise new year 07 we were without our luggage as it didn't make the flight from the UK with us:mad: collected it at MCO on our return home, but another UK family unloaded their luggage at the dock and only received 1 of their 4 bags:eek:. RCI delivered leaflets to all the cabins asking passengers to ensure that they had only their own luggage. The couple we spoke to several times over the week and the missing baggage never turned up.

Thanks for posting this.

I don't know if the baggage handling is done by RCL or by port operations. I don't know at which point homeland security is involved in the inspection.

But as a rule, you should never check anything of value....especially if it may be going through any kind of government handling....they have almost no supervision, and are rarely punished for any criminal activity.

There was a stolen credit card ring operating out of Miami, INSIDE the US Post Office. The Miami Coast Guard has had close ties with the smugglers. There is little or no oversight, and in the rare case someone is caught, there is little or no punishment.

Traveler beware!

These carts in turn are moved dockside for delivery to the ship by Royal Caribbean employees (and likewise out of the hands of the stevedoring company).

This is not true. RCCL employees are not part of the Long Shoremen and not part of the Stevedoors union and therefore not permitted to touch baggage until it is on the ship.

As for this being the first case in 4 years - I guess they aren't including 2005 or 2006 when I was sailing out of that port every Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for telling your story because it does help to remind people to carryon anything valuable.

It seems like backpacks are a target too because kids will put their game systems/DVD players in them.

We carry everything electronic with us. The only thing that the porters could steal are my clothes. ;)

I always tell people, anything you "can't live without or are hard to replace" should be carried on.

That means prescriptions, jewelry, electronics, purses, credit cards, ID's should never be put on a curb somewhere. The SAME goes for airplanes too.

Unfortunately it is highly unlikely that Miami law enforcement would be able to devote the manpower/time/expense to so thoroughly work up a non-violent crime involving the loss of under $400.

Sorry I have to disagree, the Port of Miami has an extensive police organization, under the MTSA all workers in the port provide digital scans of their fingerprints. This would be a case of locating the suspect prints from the evidence and conducting an electronic comparison. Not too much leg work. And I suspect that if someone stole from the person´s luggage, no matter what was said, others have been robbed, in fact I believe datsea is suggesting that other incidents might have happened. So while this might be a 400 dollar case I suspect that it happens more often than not............and if you have no response then the criminal will continue to gain from honest hardworking vacationers.....

Archived