Driving from DFW to Galveston Monday AM

btcruzin

I've found so much great advice on this board. This is our first cruise, and we are planning to drive to Galveston, leaving home early in the morning on our sail date (Monday). For those of you you live in the DFW area and have done this drive, how long does it take? Any advice? Thanks!

Someone else just posted on another thread they do it in 4 1/2 hours. I allow 5 hours to stop at least twice. I bring a large cup of coffee with me in the morning and stop and maybe get another cup when I go thru Huntsville. The gas station before you get to the prison exist, Pilot I think its called, has Comlombia and whats that african one, for cheap prices or refills if you have a cup to fill up. I always have to stop twice for potty breaks with all that coffee. I fill up on gas in Huntsville, easy on and off.

Pay for your parking online at EZCruise to save $5 before you go and print off the reservation # to give them when you get there.

I think the new rule is that you must check in for your cruise 90 minutes before sailing...add that to the drive from DFW area to Galveston, which is around 5 1/2 hours.

If you can't come down the day before...leave EARLY!!! Better to spend your waiting time in Galveston! I'd hate to have Galveston in my sights as the ship is leaving port!

I live just southwest of Houston. It takes me 4 hours to drive to Dallas, and 1 1/4 hours to drive to the port of Galveston.

We leave before 6 a.m., 5:30 if I can. I like to get there by 10:30 and get first dibs on the parking spaces in the first lot. Iv left by 5 a.m. but found that was so early we just walked around Galveston to kill an hour, they wouldnt shuttle us over to the port that early, they were still getting folks off the ship.

Im leaving from the East side, so I take LBJ around until I hit what is it I35? south? You might have to adjust your time

Thanks, everyone, for the information. We might reconsider and drive down Sunday night. Just need to find a place to stay. Being spring break, we figured it would be easier to drive than to find a hotel. Will check with DH on the odds of getting everyone out the door that early!

We live in Arlington. It took us almost 6 hours to get to the Galveston Holiday Inn on December 22. Houston was busier than a normal Saturday that day. Christmas traffic?

We didn't come home the normal way (my dad was hospitalized while we were on the cruise so we came home via Hamilton and Hico :eek: ) so our return trip was about 9 hours including supper.

btc,just in case you change your mind and you go sunday, the harbor house hotel is in walking distance of the pier,free parking during your cruise and (fyi)it also has the web cam on the roof showing you when the ectasy is coming in and where it's docked.

ENJOY UR CRUISE!:D

We live in south Arlington, and it takes us about 5 hours. If my husband didn't speed it would probably be longer! :eek:

After having to buy airline tickets for cruises this past January and this coming September, driving to Galveston is looking better to me! :p

Living in Galveston most of my life, and then moving to Dallas 5 years ago, I tend to make this trip about twice a month... just to visit friends and family.

It usually takes about 5-1/2 hours, but I usually drive it in the wee hours... just remember, you never know how traffic will be, if there is going to be an event going on in Houston or accident that causes even more traffic, if the weather will affect the travel time... or, most importantly, if they will be doing construction on I-45 (which happens the most frequently of all of these listed).

If you have never driven this route before, I would allow extra time for that too.

There are a lot of things to do in Galveston to keep you occupied if you happen to get there a bit early.... always better to be early than "miss the boat".

We live west of weatherford and it usually takes us about 5 to 6 hours (if my memory serves me correctly) We go down the day before, that way we are not rushed and can explore galveston a little. We get up and get to the terminal by 10:30 or 11:00. We are able to get on the ship and go eat something and take our time enjoying being on the ship. This year we will be sure and when it is time we will go to our room and about 3:30 or so we will get our life jackets and head up to the muster drill. Hated having to walk the stairs up to our station last year.

Depending on traffic, I can usually make it in 4 1/2 hours. Traffic in Conroe & Houston rush hour can change that though.

All you DFW people should come over & visit the DFW thread located in Floataway Lounge section of the board.. Group of area cruisers who get together several times a year. M&M this weekend in Arlington.

Archived