Considering HAL.....Are My Reasons Valid??

cruzeluver

Just got off the Ryndam on Mar 6. This was one week after the disastrous 100 person norovirus cruise the week before. We had a great time. Crew had to work extra hard during code red. Ryndam itself seemed fine. A medium size ship. A little less room in some public areas and less glitz than some. Alaska is for the view outside and Ryndam should be just great. (HAL seems to do a great job of maintenance) Alaska (cold weather cruises) in general has less problem with any norovirus also.

I still consider HAL a premium line.

The beds are heavenly, the robes plush, the amenities in the bathrooms were wonderful, and the crew always had a smile and a hello, even if it wasn't your own staff.

I don't think you can go wrong with HAL!

I'm convinced. We have booked the Westerdam for a Holiday 2008 sailing. This will be our first HAL cruise.:D

BTW, can you elaborate on the bathroom amenities? (What is provided, brands, etc)

Thanks

Please name the ship in any category, Premium or otherwise which has not had a problem at one time or another with engines, air conditioning, plumbing, service, food.....you name it.

Veendam is a lovely ship. Look for Heather from Florida's review of her 14 days aboard November 2007. She said it was fabulous service and she thought the cruise wonderful.

We have sailed Veendam many times and would do so without hesitation.

She's a terrific ship.

We sail Maasdam at least 2-3 (and more) times per year and she is Veendam's older sister by at least 2-3 years.

I agree entirely...

Just as I'm sure Crystal, Oceania, Regent, etc etc etc have all had hiccups with an engine, staff having an off week, the occasional gastro issues, too much mayo on a sandwich, a flat basketball...

No line is perfect, no line suggests they are, but dollar for dollar HAL is one of the best values in cruising.

MY ONLY CRUISE EXPERIENCES SO FAR have all been on HAL, and IO can't imagine it any other way.

Simplelife, I've enjoyed reading all the replies to your very good questions about HAL. We enjoyed our cruise on the Westerdam -- she is beautiful and remarkably uncrowded. She's the only ship where we took the elevators, because the midships lifts are glass and on the outside. Regarding the bath amenities, they're Elemis. Let's see: you will find a little plastic standup rack with small bottles of shampoo and lotion, plus a round of bath soap and a clear citrus soap. I think I'm missing one other product... I understand that some lines have dispensers for soap and shampoo, which seems really tacky. Not on HAL, thank goodness.

The constant denominator on all the HAL ships is the friendly Indonesian and Filipino crew. You will find, after you're back home, that not a day goes by that you don't see their beautiful faces in your mind's eye. Be sure to attend the crew show, which is outstanding and gives these hard-working and talented people a chance to share their cultures. They plan the whole thing and rehearse on their own time.

Welcome to HAL and to our board.

Mrs Muir

Simplelife, I've enjoyed reading all the replies to your very good questions about HAL. We enjoyed our cruise on the Westerdam -- she is beautiful and remarkably uncrowded. She's the only ship where we took the elevators, because the midships lifts are glass and on the outside. Regarding the bath amenities, they're Elemis. Let's see: you will find a little plastic standup rack with small bottles of shampoo and lotion, plus a round of bath soap and a clear citrus soap. I think I'm missing one other product... I understand that some lines have dispensers for soap and shampoo, which seems really tacky. Not on HAL, thank goodness.

The constant denominator on all the HAL ships is the friendly Indonesian and Filipino crew. You will find, after you're back home, that not a day goes by that you don't see their beautiful faces in your mind's eye. Be sure to attend the crew show, which is outstanding and gives these hard-working and talented people a chance to share their cultures. They plan the whole thing and rehearse on their own time.

Welcome to HAL and to our board.

Mrs Muir

Thanks for your helpful review, providing the details on the toiletries (yes, I can verify from previous experience that other lines have the tacky soap dispensers) and the outside glass elevators (I'll bet the view from them is spectacular!). From we've heard so far, it ounds like DH and I have a real treat in store. We are SO looking forward to a week of relaxation and pampering on a gorgeous ship.:)

Just wish it were not so far off!

I am tempted by the Westerdam's itinerary, and the prices are reasonable. My concern is the size. We have done the larger ships, and while I like them fine, I am concerned about crowding, that they tend to appeal more to families and service may suffer. If I am mistaken in this case, I will certainly take a second look.

I really appreciate all of the helpful information, without the attitude I have experienced on some of the other boards.

I am tempted by the Westerdam's itinerary, and the prices are reasonable. My concern is the size. We have done the larger ships, and while I like them fine, I am concerned about crowding, that they tend to appeal more to families and service may suffer. If I am mistaken in this case, I will certainly take a second look.

I really appreciate all of the helpful information, without the attitude I have experienced on some of the other boards.

The very first thing I noticed about the Westerdam last March was the LACK of crowding!! I looked around and thought "where are all the people?!" I heard the ship sailed full, so it wasn't a matter of being under capacity. Honestly, it was the greatest feeling. NEVER felt the slightest bit crowded on the Westerdam, and that's particularly important to me since I'm claustrophobic and don't do well in crowds at all.

Rose

It's impossible to project what will happen on any ship, any cruise line ten months into the future.

I sail with Carnival, RCL and NCL and come home to HAL.

I agree with what poster DFD1 said, HAL is the best value.

Have you written any reviews? Just curious what you like about NCL as we know people who refuse to try anything else but they are looking for the cheapest inside on any ship.

I'm convinced. We have booked the Westerdam for a Holiday 2008 sailing. This will be our first HAL cruise.:D

BTW, can you elaborate on the bathroom amenities? (What is provided, brands, etc)

Thanks

The brand name is Elemis and there was the usual, shampoo, hand lotion, shower gel, etc., but they were excellent. Not the usual run of the mill.

I agree with Rose. Along with the smaller size (I consider the Vista's large, btw) is a commensurate reduction in number of passengers. The passenger/space ratio on HAL ships is very good. I don't know if it's the best in the business, but it's right there for the mass-market lines.

Crowding is not a problem on any HAL ship.

I don't think you need to worry at all about feeling crowded. When we were onboard Westerdam last year, it felt anything but crowded. And it was one of the few ships we never had a problem getting a lounge chair by the main pool.

HAL is not a big draw for families (although they have tried to attract families, it still seems to attract an older population). Add to that the fact that you're looking at January, and there will be very few kids onboard. The service was probably the best we've had on any cruise (the staff is amazing and very personable...the only ship they memorized our names and everywhere we went they remembered our names).

We love the Aruba, Curacao, and HMC itinerary. There are no other cruises that sail out of Florida on 7 day sailings that go that far south. That's why we specifically chose the same itinerary we did last year on Westerdam, we liked it that much.

... I understand that some lines have dispensers for soap and shampoo, which seems really tacky. Not on HAL, thank goodness.

\\

Celebrity has a shampoo/conditioner combo in a tacky shower dispenser. They say they give premium products to Conceriage Class and Suites. I was in CC class and I received a bottle of shampoo/conditioner and one moisterizer and guess what? It was the same stuff in the shower. It also smeled the same and appeared to be the same stuff in my childrens inside cabin.

I was on the Veendam 4 years back. At least at that time it was very nice. I have done 6 HAL cruises and like them better than the other lines I have cruised and we have tried most of the others. I have always liked the food on HAL and the service is just the best. I have always found if a HAL ship have a problem it is fixed . They stay on top of keeping the ships up much more then a lot of the other lines. Even back when we traveled on the Old Westerdam I felt it was kept up better than some other lines ships half it's age.

I was aboard the Ryndam a year ago right now, and at that time she was in excellent shape and was receiving some significant plumbing upgrades and enhancements. For photos of the ship, check out my galleries here:

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/ryndam2007/Menu212.html

To the OP: we sailed on the Veendam in 2005. This was our first experience with HAL and it hooked us, although we have gone over to the dark side for a cruise on Princess in eight days (whoopee!!).

The cruise just prior to the Veendam was on the Carnival Glory. Too big! We found the 1,300 passengers on the Veendam to be a very welcome relief. Although it is a much smaller ship, we never felt nearly as crowded as we did on the Glory.

CCL: Vegas style glitz and neon lights; crowds; noise. HAL: understated elegance; excellent service; quiet without being boring.

As someone else mentioned, the beds on HAL are fabulous. The bathrobes that they give you to use in your cabin are also a very nice touch.

We have sailed on the Oosterdam and Zuiderdam, as well. I would love to sail on the Veendam, or one of the other R or S class ships, again, but their schedules never seem to match ours.

I suggest that you give HAL a try. I think you will like it. Its your choice, though. It is not right for some cruisers.

REVNEAL thanks for sharing your pictures of the Ryndam. Makes me feel more confident for making a good choice with HAL. Look forward to seeing her live in July. One reason I choose HAL was because I have sailed on Holland line some years ago on "Grotte Beer" when we migrated to the US, a youngster then.

Thanks to all others who shared their comments and welcome. Thank you.

REVNEAL thanks for sharing your pictures of the Ryndam. Makes me feel more confident for making a good choice with HAL. Look forward to seeing her live in July. One reason I choose HAL was because I have sailed on Holland line some years ago on "Grotte Beer" when we migrated to the US, a youngster then.

You're very welcome! From what I've read, the ss Groote Beer was one of the three "Dutch Victory Ships" of the Trans-Ocean Steamship Company, a different Dutch line from HAL. :) A GREAT ship, based upon the photos:

http://www.ssmaritime.com/DutchVictoryTrio-2.htm

Enjoy the Ryndam! She's a lovely ship, as are all the S-class vessels!

Again, thank you all so much for the great information. The HAL board sure gets my vote for friendliness and educated opinions!

Between what you guys have provided me, and research done elsewhere, we are pretty much sold on HAL for our next cruise. Now we just have to pick a ship and itinerary. Decisions, decisions!!:p

We just booked my third HAL cruise on the Veendam in December 2008, partially because (hopefully!) we'll finally get to go to Costa Maya AND get to return to Belize, and partially because it was just a fabulous price.

I've toured Alaska with HAL twice -- once with my mom on the Ryndam in 2002 and once with my husband on the Westerdam in 2006. While I was not as impressed with the service on the Westerdam, I have to say that my experience with HAL, overall, has been very positive. Only our last cruise, on RCCL's Jewel of the Seas, came close to the level of service and overall positive experience that I have come to rely on with HAL.

Because we don't have big budgets, but we do have odd sleep patterns!:) , we tend to book interior cabins. So our level of service hasn't been predicated on the cost of our passage! While it may not be 'luxury' by some standards, HAL is CERTAINLY a step above NCL and Carnival, in our opinion -- and, depending upon the ship, probably above Royal Carribean.

We'll see how this goes as we take HAL south. But regardless, it won't be so bad that we'll never cruise again! :D

Archived