Ladies: How many pairs of shoes?

burm

Why does a beach vacation necessitate more shoes? I've tried and tried to figure it out, but I can't!

For a beach cruise you need all the shoes you need for Alaska plus swim shoes and cute little strappy sandals for day wear.

For Alaska I could manage with only 3 pair: hiking boots, Crocs for mucking around the ship, and an all purpose pair of low heels that I could wear on formal or less formal nights.

On the other hand, you never know what to expect of the weather in Alaska and have to pack for all seasons. Warm clothing takes up a lot of room! Packing for the Caribbean is easier.

For a 7-nighter I have :

my silver old navy flip flops- I wear these on the plane ride there, pool, beach, and plane ride back, plus around the ship with my coverup dress to lunch and stuff. They go with everything.

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=39882&pid=522932&scid=522932052

my lightweight workout shoes

http://www.shoestation.com/shoestation/product.asp?dept_id=3254&pf_id=PAAAAAFGDAEDAPEN&ad_id=froogle&key_id=PAAAAAFGDAEDAPEN&

my aerosoles black heeled sandals for dinner - I take 5 different dressy outfits that all go with these shoes. They are soooo comfortable, I can dance in them all night

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/35373630/c/72.html

my rhinestone heels for formal nights (except mine are silver not gold-only picture I could find:) )

http://www.savingyoubig.com/product/pid/15389767/Mixit__174___Laverne__Glitter_Thong.html

I can get by with these 4 because I don't do any excursions that involve major walking. I get off the ship and go to the beach. If I have to do major walking of some kind I might have another pair. Or I could just wear my workout shoes if I really had to.

This question is not for the men. For them it is far too easy.

How many pairs of shoes for an 11 day cruise (3 formal nights, 3 semi-formal, 5 casual)?

I have been assembling my cruise clothes in a spare bedroom and find that my shoes would take up half a suitcase! And I am just an average woman, not Imelda Marcos.

So far I have:

1. Dress shoes for black formal wear
  2. Brown sandals for my mostly earth tone casual wear on ship.
  3. Rubber Croc type slip-ons for pool and cabin use
  4. Swim shoes (I learned the importance of those years ago. Broken glass, coral, etc, hurts)
  5. Sturdy walking shoes for travel from cold, cold north and port excursions that require a lot of walking.
  6. "Disposible" old sneakers for jungle excursion. We are told we WILL get wet.

I can't see how I can exclude any of these but they sure do take up a lot of room!

My husband, on the other hand, will only take 3 pair: walking shoes, dress shoes, and rubber slip ons. No fair!

OP, not sure if this will help, but have you considered wearing flip-flops instead of crocs? I think they might take up less room. Sometimes I pack mine in the zippered compartment in the front of my suitcase.

Or better yet, what about a comfortable yet cute sandal? I bought a pair of cute Clark Thunder sandals for my last cruise, and they worked for by the pool, AND were comfortable enough to wear in ports, walking around Hawaii. They even looked nice for some dresses I brough (I was on NCL). That could eliminate another pair (sounds like you would need an earth-toned pair, maybe even white could work).

Here is the pair of Clarks I bought, hope the link works.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/29908512/c/15.html

Additionally, it sounds like you are planning on wearing your study walking shoes, which will eliminate the need to pack those. I always bring tennis shoes in case I want to workout, but I always wear them on the plane, less space required in my luggage!:D

Sounds like you could get away with only the formal shoes, a cute yet comfortable sandal (similar to the Clark), swimshoes, and your jungle shoes. The other pair you don't need to pack, if you wore them to the port.

I think every little bit saved can add up, and this way you wouldn't be needing to pack as many shoes, and the Clarks pack pretty small, too. (like in the zippered compartment).

One last thing, I would double check your excursion, that they don't provide any type of shoe for you.. The reason I ask is that when we went on a mudbug excursion, they gave us shoes because they knew they would get destroyed. Also, could you pack a "disposable" shoe that is comfortable and wouldn't mind throwing away, that isn't as big as a gym shoe?

Just a few random thoughts, maybe they will help! I'm all about combining comfort + cute so I need to bring as few pairs as possible.:)

Archived