Ladies: How many pairs of shoes?

burm

This question is not for the men. For them it is far too easy.

How many pairs of shoes for an 11 day cruise (3 formal nights, 3 semi-formal, 5 casual)?

I have been assembling my cruise clothes in a spare bedroom and find that my shoes would take up half a suitcase! And I am just an average woman, not Imelda Marcos.

So far I have:

1. Dress shoes for black formal wear
  2. Brown sandals for my mostly earth tone casual wear on ship.
  3. Rubber Croc type slip-ons for pool and cabin use
  4. Swim shoes (I learned the importance of those years ago. Broken glass, coral, etc, hurts)
  5. Sturdy walking shoes for travel from cold, cold north and port excursions that require a lot of walking.
  6. "Disposible" old sneakers for jungle excursion. We are told we WILL get wet.

I can't see how I can exclude any of these but they sure do take up a lot of room!

My husband, on the other hand, will only take 3 pair: walking shoes, dress shoes, and rubber slip ons. No fair!

I usually bring at least 6 pair of shoes--sometimes more! My shoes don't weigh much, so who cares?? Now, hubby's shoes are HUGE and weigh a ton! I try and limit what he can bring, but the sky's the limit for me!

:)

If your swim shoes are fairly sturdy ones, you wouldn't need the old sneakers for teh jungle tour. Other than that, your list sounds fine.

My swim shoes have good, impenetrable soles but they wouldn't give any support for the considerable walking we will do. An excellent suggestion though.

While on vacation the only thing I usually miss about home is my wardrobe.:)

You really seem like you have good pairs that you can justify, I don't know what you mean by "swim/pool" shoes, but I understand their purpose. My only idea would be if your crocs could double as pool shoes, I've never used crocs but I hear they are really strudy and such and therefore could be good pool shoes maybe:confused: sorry if this didn't help much

You really seem like you have good pairs that you can justify, I don't know what you mean by "swim/pool" shoes, but I understand their purpose. My only idea would be if your crocs could double as pool shoes, I've never used crocs but I hear they are really strudy and such and therefore could be good pool shoes maybe:confused: sorry if this didn't help much

Swim shoes you actually wear while swimming. They protect you from sharp objects like coral or broken glass in the sand. (also from nasty things you might pick up from other people's bare feet) Because they fit snugly they don't fill up with sand on the beach as sandals do. On a beach day you can walk off the ship in them and not take them off until you return.

I love my Crocs but they have their limitations. I wouldn't want to walk too far in them. I love them for around the house and garden because I can rinse them under the tap or even bleach them if necessary. They are really nice for during the day on the ship.

So it looks like I am stuck with 6 pairs, but it looks like that is pretty much the norm. At best i could do 5, but hey, what is one extra pair?

I wore waterproof hiking sandals for port excursions--I prefer to sneakers (get good support, easy on/easy off AND waterproof) And I can wear them to the pool on the ship as well. For our Carib. cruise last year, I had 4prs I think--black formal sandals, black casual walking sandals, waterproof walking sandals, and casual wedge slides. I'm pretty sure my husband also had 4 prs of shoes on that cruise. For Alaska in Sept, I only had 3 prs of shoes:D Next fall, 15 day Panama Canal--I fear I'll be back up to 4-6 prs.....I don't like to bring that many pairs of shoes. I really do try to pack as lightly as possible. But sometimes there isn't a good way around it.

I wore waterproof hiking sandals for port excursions--I prefer to sneakers (get good support, easy on/easy off AND waterproof) And I can wear them to the pool on the ship as well. For our Carib. cruise last year, I had 4prs I think--black formal sandals, black casual walking sandals, waterproof walking sandals, and casual wedge slides. I'm pretty sure my husband also had 4 prs of shoes on that cruise. For Alaska in Sept, I only had 3 prs of shoes:D Next fall, 15 day Panama Canal--I fear I'll be back up to 4-6 prs.....I don't like to bring that many pairs of shoes. I really do try to pack as lightly as possible. But sometimes there isn't a good way around it.

Can you give me an example of waterproof hiking sandals? Perhaps a link to where they can be purchased?They sound like a great multi purpose shoe.

I wore waterproof hiking sandals for port excursions--I prefer to sneakers (get good support, easy on/easy off AND waterproof) And I can wear them to the pool on the ship as well.

Drat you Hoyaheel! :D I did a search on waterproof hiking sandals and now I want some of those too before I leave in 2 weeks. Not very dressy for the ship but wonderful for excursions. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sure--Teva is the most common brand, and my husband and I have owned several pairs over the years:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/354,96763_Teva-Terra-Fi-2-Sport-Sandals-Microban-For-Women.html

This one--at Sierra Trading Post (I buy from them ALL the time, great customer service) has nice arch support, flexible straps to fit "awkward" feet, etc.

Lots of people have posted about Keen in the past--I've never owned them but I like the toe protectors they have!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/354,13940_Keen-Venice-Sports-Sandals-For-Women.html

These are common brands--in addition to the close-out bargains you'll find at Sierra Trading Post, you can find these shoes a multitude of other places--Zappos, Shoebuy.com, REI, even Nordstrom;)

Not very dressy for the ship.

Well, they're not any less dressy than the Crocs you already planned to bring and wear to the pool or in your cabin, are they? If you get waterproof hiking shoes, you can leave behind the Crocs and the tennis shoes, and possibly even the water shoes--depends on what excursions you're planning to do (it might be awkward to snorkel in Tevas, but I've certainly gone in the ocean and river rafting in them:D )

It sounds like all of your shoe choices are justified, so as long as they don't weigh too much, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm taking:

1. Gold strappy sandals for formal night

2. Black slide-type sandals for every day wear

3. Flip flops for pool and beach

4. Dressy sandals for regular nights in the dining room

I'm also taking tennis shoes, which I'm going to wear on the plane there and back because they are the heaviest and I don't want to weight down my suitcase with them.

I have wonderful Mephisto sandals for walking but they are not waterproof.

The black walking sandals I mentioned in one post are Dansko--I love them for walking--very comfy & supportive, but not waterproof either. I wore the Danskos many days and for about half the casual nights in the dining room.

So far I have:

1. Dress shoes for black formal wear
  2. Brown sandals for my mostly earth tone casual wear on ship.
  3. Rubber Croc type slip-ons for pool and cabin use
  4. Swim shoes (I learned the importance of those years ago. Broken glass, coral, etc, hurts)
  5. Sturdy walking shoes for travel from cold, cold north and port excursions that require a lot of walking.
  6. "Disposible" old sneakers for jungle excursion. We are told we WILL get wet.

6 pairs for an 11 day cruise? I can't even narrow it down to 6 for my 7 day cruise (+ 3 days in Seattle). I think you'll be fine.

I bring two pairs of dressy evening sandals/pumps, one pair of flip flops for port days at the beach and also for spa and pool, running shoes for the gym, one pair of mid heeled sandals for non formal nights.

For serious walking, I would pack a good pair of walking shoes.

I take two dressy sandals, water shoes, flip flops, 1 casual sandals, and tennies.

Yup, six for me too! If I was really snitty about it, I could eliminate the tennies or flip flops and one of the dressies, but if they fit in the luggage, why not take them? I LOVE my Tevas, BTW. Wear 'em all summer long! :D

Using swim shoes as sneakers is a great idea. My water shoes have a really thick sole and are stable on my feet. I think to avoid blisters I'll put some no-show tennis sox under. OK, it's decided... the sneakers can stay home. More room for my black ballet flats and those cute yellow sandals I've been wanting! YAY!

:D

I took 5 pairs of shoes on our last trip, 15 nights - I pair of silver high heels for formal nights, one pair of casual sandals for the other evenings, Lands End water shoes, black athletic shoes for the gym and a pair of walking sandals for wearing around the ship and for walking not-too-far distances in ports.

Next time I'm going to leave the athletic shoes at home and let the water shoes double up - I tried them out on the gym equipment and they were fine, especially with orthotics slipped into them. I'm also going to find a 1-inch pump that I can wear with skirts or pants for casual evenings.

You're going for 11 days? 22 pairs. Maybe 24.... Lemme see....

plum heels for 1 formal night

red satin sandals for another formal night

comfy sandal-type flats with sequins for evenings

light colored (bone or caramel) flats for day

black day shoes

navy day shoes

3 different pairs of walking shoes (brown, black, navy)

athletic shoes (just in case)

black mid-heeled pumps

hiking-type sandals (Merrells or Keens)

2 pairs of loafers . . .

Yup, 22 pairs should about do it :)

(Yes, the last house I owned, when I had it listed for sale became known as "Imelda's house" -- in honor of Imelda Marcos' shoe problem) I can easily pack an entire suitcase of shoes, with justification.

However, on our upcoming 7 day Alaska cruise, I'm taking hiking boots, one pair of evening sandals, one pair of day shoes, and one pair of hiking-type sandals.... I'm going to feel "naked" :)

It's the weight in the luggage--we rarely are able to drive to a cruise departure port (since HAL left Norfolk:( ) so--2 checked bags that weigh less than 50 lbs. Preferably a LOT less because I know I'll be bringing stuff back home with me that I've bought on vacation. Plus--I've always believed ('cause my dad drilled it into me as a child) that if I pack the bag--I carry the bag. So.....I try to bring as little as possible to meet my needs and allow me to look good and be dressed appropriately and comfortably for my trip.....

For my Alaska trip, when I had 3 prs for 12 days (only 7 on a cruise) I had a pair of goretex hiking shoes that worked great as my all-purpose shoe for ports, and in the gym. A pair of dressy heeled sandals that worked with my formal night outfits as well as a couple of my casual cruise dinner outfits, and a pair of Privo mary janes that were so comfy to walk in--for shorter port excursions, wearing around the ship, flying in, and wearing for the other casual dinners on the ship.....Why does a beach vacation necessitate more shoes? I've tried and tried to figure it out, but I can't!

Today, I'm getting ready to book a 12-day northern europe cruise for May 2009--how on earth I'll pack for that....I'm hoping I'll be able to do it more like the Alaska trip than the 11 day caribbean.....

CowPrincess I'm with you on the shoe count, I'll be bringing at least 7 pairs for our 7 day cruise. That's not including any I buy outlet shopping in Orlando. I'll have:

Heels - one black pair (for red dresses)

one white pair (for white & turquoise dress and floral/lilac dress)

one bronze pair (for brown dresses)

Sandals - one white pair -flops (to wear with white & turquoise dress for beach wedding)

one pink pair - flops (just around the pool)

one ortho pair - flops (for walking around ports)

And one pair of waterproof shoes for cave tubing.

Granted all 7 pairs probably only weigh a couple of lbs all put together and since we are flying Air Canada there are not as strict luggage regs. Can't wait for an excuse to wear a dress every night, any excuse to wear heels and a dress is alright with me since I spend most of my days here in coveralls covered in cow poo!!!:eek: (really glamourous job)

Archived