Airport Friendly Bra!

burm

This seems like an odd question, but I guess the times, they are a changin'.

Yesterday I happened upon an ad for a bra that was advertised as "airport friendly". Has anyone every had any problems with airport security over a bra???? I know there are airport friendly shoes so I guess bras could also have "suspect" parts. How embarrassing that could be :eek:

Yes, I was breast wanded and patted down. I didn't have any other metal on me either. It wasn't too bad, but not the most comfortable situation I've been in. Since then I never wear an underwire bra when flying.

Houndmom, love your avatar and the "so when do we leave" pic.

Thanks! :) My avatar is my youngest greyhound, the Infamous Sirius Bloo! (He doesn't get to go on cruises, but he does have his own wading pool. ;) )

Must have been a while since you've flown--the restriction on lighters being carried on was rescinded in August 2007:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_multi_image_with_table_0099.shtm

Well, let's see....

Aug Omaha to DFW/Alexandria, La RT.

Sept/Oct Omaha to NOLA RT.

Bic style lighters were being pulled out of trays at Omaha.

Must just be a "Nebraska" thing.

My normal everyday bras haven't set off the alarms, but on my wedding day I wore a fancy corset type bra that set off the alarms (went straight to the airport from wedding, I did pack a change of clothes but forgot a normal bra). So anyway, the lady patting me down didn't speak good english, which is weird because this was an airport in Cincinnati, but she just couldn't understand the whole bra thing. It was aggravating.

I've also set off metal detectors with my underwire bra, necessitating the "pat down" and wanding. The first time it happened, I thought the screener was enjoying her job just a little too much ... ugh. It happened another time, so ever since then I've either travelled in a sports bra or with a bra-type camisole under my jacket.

DH has also set off metal detectors in virtually every airport we've been through. He's had a sextuple bypass and I've told him I'm sure they wired his chest together with barbed wire instead of the titanium they billed for. He even carries a letter from the doctor, but the screeners aren't interested in looking at it. He has to either pull up his golf shirt or unbutton his dress shirt (whichever he's wearing at the time) to show his scars, so I've threatened him next time we fly I'm going to make sure he's dressed in a disposable paper jumpsuit and a pair of Croc's to make it easier to go through the screening process! :rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

This seems like an odd question, but I guess the times, they are a changin'.

Yesterday I happened upon an ad for a bra that was advertised as "airport friendly". Has anyone every had any problems with airport security over a bra???? I know there are airport friendly shoes so I guess bras could also have "suspect" parts. How embarrassing that could be :eek:

I wear nothing but underwire bras, fly a few times a year...and I have never set off an airport alarm.

Oh geez, the air puff machine. The first time I got called to use it, I was with my family, and they pulled us off the security line to go to the "special line". I was the first one through, and had no idea what was going to happen. When it went off, I actually screamed and jumped a little. I just wasn't expecting it. This was during the testing phase of those machines, I think after I jumped, they learned that they should tell people that puffs of air are going to shoot out at them.

As for the comfy bra, I need to wear underwire, or else it's not a pretty sight for others, and could potentially be a hazard, but I've found that Olga and Wacoal make the most comfortable underwire bras, I don't even notice that I'm wearing an underwire. I've also never set off the scanner with my bra, but my sneakers have done it before (this was before the who take your shoes off thing).

I watched about 20 people go through t the puff machine first, no one else set it off. Lucky me.

My everyday bras are Wacoal and I love them, have never found a more well fitting and well made bra. I'd just like something more comfy for long flights, something I wouldn't mind sleeping in. I haven't tried Olga bras, I'll check them out if I see them in my shopping expeditions. :)

This settles it, I have decided to wear a camisole for the flight. But with my luck they will still pat me down and it will be worse. I will probably get the above mentioned inspector who enjoyed HER job too much!

I wear underwire bras,being a DD you do not want to see it without an underwire! Some of the bras (I.E. Victoria's Secret) have palstic for the underwire,others I have actually have metal and these have set off the alarm.I always wear the VS now when traveling in the airport. Especially Denver.....I always get pulled there,go figure.:eek:

Most underwire bras are made with plastic these days....I know all my Balis are airport friendly....only time I had trouble I was wearing a Fredericks of Holloywood number with the cutest silver X charm hanging on the front...and yes, Celebrity's metal detectors picked it up!

Oh my goodness! Don't mean to go off topic but I love your Westie! Tiki (my Westie) will be ten on May 1st and I'll be on my cruise so I won't be able to celebrate it with her . . . :( Tiki is my fifth Westie since 1973 and once a Westie "adopts you" . . . you are a gonner. Tell me about your's . . . little boy or girl . . . name . . . age?

Back on topic . . . I just bought two new Bali bras . . . the ones with the thing inside that sort of hides . . . well, what sometimes pops out when it gets real cold . . . :p I love them!!!!!!!

DH has also set off metal detectors in virtually every airport we've been through. He's had a sextuple bypass and I've told him I'm sure they wired his chest together with barbed wire instead of the titanium they billed for. ........

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I'm really surprised my DH hasn't set the thing off yet. He had a double bypass about 8 years ago and also is full of wire! What about the folks with titanium hip joints and rods in their backs? What do they have to do, strip to the skin to prove it's a medical device? :confused:

I haven't set off any metal detectors wearing an underwire bra. Last week I had to go out of town 48 hours after having a Nuclear medicine test. I was given a card to carry with me to TSA if I set off the alarms. I was told to carry the card for 1 month. I didn't set off any alarms.

Oh my goodness! Don't mean to go off topic but I love your Westie! Tiki (my Westie) will be ten on May 1st and I'll be on my cruise so I won't be able to celebrate it with her . . . :( Tiki is my fifth Westie since 1973 and once a Westie "adopts you" . . . you are a gonner. Tell me about your's . . . little boy or girl . . . name . . . age?

Back on topic . . . I just bought two new Bali bras . . . the ones with the thing inside that sort of hides . . . well, what sometimes pops out when it gets real cold . . . :p I love them!!!!!!!

My little man is 12 1/12 years old and his name is Buddy. He is having his really good days. and some not so good. When I cruise in December he will be 13. He has had a good life and I hope it lasts a good time longer. I have plans, and alternate plans for his care while we are gone for 7 days in December.....I could not possibly board him at this stage so I am depending on friends.

Those Bali bras with the little "daisy" inside are quite something so long as you "line them up" ahead of time!

Last week, we had a connecting flight through San Juan. From Punta Cana, I had no problems. Went through security in San Juan and the metal detector went crazy. I got the pat down and wand and sure enough, it was my bra- the same one I had no problem with 2 hours earlier.

I went thru security in Miami just fine!! Nothing beep nothing at all!! But since I only had a sweatshirt and jeans and shoes on they thought that was somehow enough proof to search me??? Nope nothing there no beeps or bings. They ask me to take off my sweatshirt but since I did't have another shirt under it the searched me!! So what the heck was that all about? You could tell that there wasn't anything under my shirt.

I went thru security in Miami just fine!! Nothing beep nothing at all!! But since I only had a sweatshirt and jeans and shoes on they thought that was somehow enough proof to search me??? Nope nothing there no beeps or bings. They ask me to take off my sweatshirt but since I did't have another shirt under it the searched me!! So what the heck was that all about? You could tell that there wasn't anything under my shirt.

After reading the earlier letters I decided to go braless and wear a camisole under my shirt for the flight. Now I have decided to wear a bra. If they ask me to take off my shirt I would rather not be braless! If it could happen to one in 1,ooo ooo,ooo it would likely happen to me!

My little man is 12 1/12 years old and his name is Buddy. He is having his really good days. and some not so good. When I cruise in December he will be 13. He has had a good life and I hope it lasts a good time longer. I have plans, and alternate plans for his care while we are gone for 7 days in December.....I could not possibly board him at this stage so I am depending on friends.

Those Bali bras with the little "daisy" inside are quite something so long as you "line them up" ahead of time!

Well, your little man is absolutely adorable . . . . :p

I'm really surprised my DH hasn't set the thing off yet. He had a double bypass about 8 years ago and also is full of wire! What about the folks with titanium hip joints and rods in their backs? What do they have to do, strip to the skin to prove it's a medical device? :confused:

I have 2 titanium rods in my back from mid shoulder blade to my hips and fly extensively. I've never set off the metal detectors from the rods......although I did set off one in SeaTac years ago by carrying a gorgeous oil lamp in my carry on. Never occured to me that Mt St Helen's glass was metallic - and wouldn't you know, it was flat, round and um rather shaped like a small land mine. That particular incident got me just about strip searched :eek:

I have 2 titanium rods in my back from mid shoulder blade to my hips and fly extensively. I've never set off the metal detectors from the rods......although I did set off one in SeaTac years ago by carrying a gorgeous oil lamp in my carry on. Never occured to me that Mt St Helen's glass was metallic - and wouldn't you know, it was flat, round and um rather shaped like a small land mine. That particular incident got me just about strip searched :eek:

:eek: EEEK! Now I know never to fly with any volcanic glass!

I had to have my luggage searched many years ago after my grandma's funeral. I had inherited a large leaded glass pitcher, and they were afraid I was smuggling something in there because it was radio-opaque. :confused:

I didn't set off any airport alarms, but my VS bra set off the RCCL detectors every day (I just took one bra in all the colors) in Bermuda! They wanded me every time, and sure enough, it was the bra- but I don't think it was the underwire so much as the metal tabs on the straps (it was the convertible kind). My new favorite bra is the VS Secret Embrace- it's underwire, but there are NO stitches on the whole bra- SO COMFY for those of us who MUST have the support. ;)

I didn't set off any airport alarms, but my VS bra set off the RCCL detectors every day (I just took one bra in all the colors) in Bermuda! They wanded me every time, and sure enough, it was the bra- but I don't think it was the underwire so much as the metal tabs on the straps (it was the convertible kind). My new favorite bra is the VS Secret Embrace- it's underwire, but there are NO stitches on the whole bra- SO COMFY for those of us who MUST have the support. ;)

I can vouch for this cause I was there each time it went off.... LMAO and all of us were teasing her to take the bra off. HeHe, Hey thats what friends are for!!

Honestly I think she was hoping to get frisked:eek:

Houndmom, every time I scroll down and see your puppy's photo he makes me smile. That seductive pose with the paw just does it to me every time.

Hehe... thanks. :)

He thinks he's a tough guy, but your kitties could beat him up. :rolleyes:

Archived