Airport Friendly Bra!

burm

This seems like an odd question, but I guess the times, they are a changin'.

Yesterday I happened upon an ad for a bra that was advertised as "airport friendly". Has anyone every had any problems with airport security over a bra???? I know there are airport friendly shoes so I guess bras could also have "suspect" parts. How embarrassing that could be :eek:

Yes, I have had issues with bras going through airport security. The underwire and clasp have set the magnetometer off. Go figure. After the mag. goes off, I have to go through the whole pat down and wanding. When wanded, it is found that they bra is the culprit.

Some bras set it off and some don't.

I have never set off an airport alarm with my bra, and I wear exclusively underwire bras (some metal, some plastic). I do, however, take off all my metal jewelry prior to going through the detectors. The amt of metal is cumulative (and alarm levels can be set differently) so if you're wearing jewelry and a metal underwire bra--that might be causing the problem. But bra alone--no other metals present--never a problem in 25+ years flying all over the place.....

I have never set off an airport alarm with my bra, and I wear exclusively underwire bras (some metal, some plastic). I do, however, take off all my metal jewelry prior to going through the detectors. The amt of metal is cumulative (and alarm levels can be set differently) so if you're wearing jewelry and a metal underwire bra--that might be causing the problem. But bra alone--no other metals present--never a problem in 25+ years flying all over the place.....

Me too. And I fly a lot. Have no jewelry (I hate the stuff-DH always wonders why I don't wear the expensive diamond ring he bought me). Just my Bick lighter in the pocket of my Dockers (don't tell) and my bra. Have NEVER set off the detector.

Thanks, ladies.

There is always something I have problems with at airport security checks. Once I had a fingernail file in my purse. I was so careful about my carry on bag but never thought of the file that has been in my purse forever.

Last year I was careful to keep liquids under the allowed amount but apparently I had too many of them and didn't have them in a one litre plastic zip bag. Finally she took a few out and gave them to my husband to put in his bag. I was fine when we flew out, but going home I just tossed things in my carryon thinking that they had already cleared once. I forget that when we flew out some were in my checked baggage.

On my Jewel cruise last February, my roommate set off the metal detectors at the port (FLL) and it seemed to be her underwire bra -- and it was the same one she'd worn the day before when flying in, with no problems whatsoever! :confused:

As I mentioned--airports can change the calibration of the metal detectors to the amount they want to detect (which is why things that didn't set off alarms pre-9/11 now set them off) Apparently the two detectors were set differently. I've flown through FLL in an underwire bra without problems though;)

I have never set off the metal detectors, and I travel for work several times a year.

No problems so far in:

Minneapolis

NYC - JFK

Ft. Myers

Atlanta

Anchorage

Although, its worth nothing that MPLS security seems tighter than JFK!!! This surprised me, I can't get though MPLS with a 4 oz lotion bottle (limit is 3), but I can get through JFK with a full bottle of water! Weird!

greatam.....

my Bick lighter in the pocket of my Dockers

Last time I heard, flammable items such as lighters were confiscated at check in IF one complied with the "empty your pockets" instructions.

You would not be one that skips the lifeboat drill also, are you?:rolleyes:

Last time I heard, flammable items such as lighters were confiscated at check in IF one complied with the "empty your pockets" instructions.:rolleyes:

Must have been a while since you've flown--the restriction on lighters being carried on was rescinded in August 2007:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_multi_image_with_table_0099.shtm

I never had a problem. I also have metal rods in my back from top to bottom, and never set them off:( Scary.

That's because when you go through a metal detector, it's like a giant magnet. The metal used in surgeries is usually titanium, I believe, which is not a magnetic metal. They use it because it's lightweight and strong, and also has the added benefit of not setting off metal detectors.

BTW, someone correct me if I'm wrong about this, I remember something vaguely about this from my undergrad chem.

I'd read about this topic (bras and metal detectors) before I flew for the first time last year. Was already nervous enough so I wore a camisole underneath my sun dress. No metal--no worries.;)

Be careful of the lighters. DS forgot he had one in his bag last year and they treated him like a criminal.:eek:

I've had a necklace set off the metal detectors, they just wanded me, my bra underwire did beep, as well as the back clasp, but it was a fainter sound than the jewelry. I haven't worn a necklace while flying since.

I've also set off the air puff machine. It turned out that it was the hair products I use on a daily basis. I use a lot of mousse and hair spray, all flammable. They used a detector strip on every single item in my purse, just wiping everything a bit. Fortunately I didn't have any more of the products with me, I'd packed my carry on for the homebound travel.

I'm certainly glad they are using these methods, hopefully it will deter terrorists from that activity. Security may be a pain, but it really is for our own protection.

I wouldn't mind having a travel bra that was more comfortable than an underwire, I may just look into this. Would the OP mind sharing the website, if any?

It's been hit and miss for me, however after one very close and personal pat down, with me explaining that it's my bra underwire and getting felt up on top anywy, I now just wear a cotton sports bra for air travel, the racer back type are very comfortable too.

I've worn underwire bras since I went from a 32AAA to a 34B and never once have I set off any alarms at either an airport security check point (and I was a flight attendant for over twenty years) . . . or in any Courthouse (I've been an attorney for the past nine years and I swear those security check points are even more sensitive than those at the airports). But . . . if I'm wearing a belt or pin on my jacket . . . the bells and whistles will go off like the fourth of July . . . . :eek:

I've had a necklace set off the metal detectors, they just wanded me, my bra underwire did beep, as well as the back clasp, but it was a fainter sound than the jewelry. I haven't worn a necklace while flying since.

I've also set off the air puff machine. It turned out that it was the hair products I use on a daily basis. I use a lot of mousse and hair spray, all flammable. They used a detector strip on every single item in my purse, just wiping everything a bit. Fortunately I didn't have any more of the products with me, I'd packed my carry on for the homebound travel.

I'm certainly glad they are using these methods, hopefully it will deter terrorists from that activity. Security may be a pain, but it really is for our own protection.

I wouldn't mind having a travel bra that was more comfortable than an underwire, I may just look into this. Would the OP mind sharing the website, if any?

Oh geez, the air puff machine. The first time I got called to use it, I was with my family, and they pulled us off the security line to go to the "special line". I was the first one through, and had no idea what was going to happen. When it went off, I actually screamed and jumped a little. I just wasn't expecting it. This was during the testing phase of those machines, I think after I jumped, they learned that they should tell people that puffs of air are going to shoot out at them.

As for the comfy bra, I need to wear underwire, or else it's not a pretty sight for others, and could potentially be a hazard, but I've found that Olga and Wacoal make the most comfortable underwire bras, I don't even notice that I'm wearing an underwire. I've also never set off the scanner with my bra, but my sneakers have done it before (this was before the who take your shoes off thing).

Wow... VBLs are the bane of my existence. Hate em! This thing would be a godsend if it fits. Does anyone know if the cups are lined for...um...discreet coverage? I don't want to get rid of VBLs only to have to deal with VPNs (visible protruding nipples) :rolleyes:

Most underwire bras are made with plastic these days....I know all my Balis are airport friendly....only time I had trouble I was wearing a Fredericks of Holloywood number with the cutest silver X charm hanging on the front...and yes, Celebrity's metal detectors picked it up!

Archived