Who to address a complaint to?

katier825

I am looking for a recommendation for who to address a complaint to regarding my recent cruise on the Pearl. Short version of my problem is:

• I was incorrectly billed for something from the minibar I did not consume.
  • I met with the cabin steward and her supervisor to discuss the issue. The supervisor agreed to have the charge removed.
  • I was given a credit slip the next day. I was happy they resolved the issue
  • Final bill was fine.
  • Today I checked my credit card statement and I was AGAIN charged for the item I did not consume in a separate transaction from the final bill (dated 1 week after the cruise ended).

Once I got home and unpacked, I shredded my receipts ~ didn't anticipate a problem since the final bill was ok. I also only kept the final bill, not the statement during the week that showed the charges and the credit. It wasn't alot of money, so I didn't really think much of it. But it's the principal. I received a final bill that I agreed with, then a week later they charge me more.

I'm very disappointed in the way this was handled when we were on the ship and I'd like to send them a letter with my comments. I wouldn't be surprised if it never gets read, but I feel like I should try.

Any suggestions as to who to address this to that might actually read it?

Thank you

Call your credit card company on this dispute. Tell them you have the final bill that is less than the charge on their bill. Then get the email address to send it to from them. Scan that final bill, then attach it to the email to your credit card company so they can take the charge off & dispute it. Hope it is AMEX as they are fast on this (before the bill comes out) but if it is Norweigan Mastercard, B of A is good too.

Don't forget to contact your credit card company and dispute the charge. They will take it off the account until they hear back from NCL with an explanation.

Call your credit card company on this dispute. Tell them you have the final bill that is less than the charge on their bill. Then get the email address to send it to from them. Scan that final bill, then attach it to the email to your credit card company so they can take the charge off & dispute it. Hope it is AMEX as they are fast on this (before the bill comes out) but if it is Norweigan Mastercard, B of A is good too.

The final bill is the same as one of the charges on my statement. The disputed amount is a SEPARATE charge that they charged to my account a week after I returned. It's this second charge that I was charged in error and refunded while on the ship, then charged a 2nd time a week after I got home.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the receipt for the credit. I got rid of it since they already took it off the final bill. It's a small amount, not worth a stressful phone call, but I want them to know I caught the double charge. That's why I figured I'd write. I can control my blood pressure better that way. ;)

Moral of the story: keep all of your receipts until you get your credit card statement, even if the final bill is ok and the receipts don't seem like enough money to bother worrying about.

The final bill is the same as one of the charges on my statement. The disputed amount is a SEPARATE charge that they charged to my account a week after I returned. It's this second charge that I was charged in error and refunded while on the ship, then charged a 2nd time a week after I got home.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the receipt for the credit. I got rid of it since they already took it off the final bill. It's a small amount, not worth a stressful phone call, but I want them to know I caught the double charge. That's why I figured I'd write. I can control my blood pressure better that way. ;)

Moral of the story: keep all of your receipts until you get your credit card statement, even if the final bill is ok and the receipts don't seem like enough money to bother worrying about.

I don't blame you for wanting to let NCL know about this, mistakes do happen but to give you a credit and then take it away is a rather stupid mistake on their part. Now, with that being said, don't let your blood pressure go out of whack over this.

Nita

I don't blame you for wanting to let NCL know about this, mistakes do happen but to give you a credit and then take it away is a rather stupid mistake on their part. Now, with that being said, don't let your blood pressure go out of whack over this.

Nita

Everyone makes mistakes, and I don't have a problem with that as long as the person acknowledges it and makes an attempt to fix it. But what bothered me about this whole incident was the attitude of the cabin steward and the way it was handled on the ship. I was so glad that they credited me the money after having to fight for it when we were there. It just really ticked me off to see the charge after it was already credited. It's definitely not worth getting my blood pressure up about, but I do want to bring it to their attention.

Aside from that incident, it was a very pleasant cruise. All of the other employees I dealt with were very smiley and pleasant.

my suggestion is before you write make ONE phone call. The amount of this sounds like it should be written off as a courtesy. try that first if not then write. Save your self the time and the headache of not getting responded to.

Also, most credit card companies have a dispute statement on the back of the billing statement. Simply fill it out and dispute the second charge. Then your credit card company will at least look into it with NCL and the red flag will draw the attention of NCL.

This isn't the first time that this nearly exact scenerio has happened on NCL, I remember a person about 6 months ago had the same complaint about a credit that became a second charge.

• 3 weeks later...
I am looking for a recommendation for who to address a complaint to regarding my recent cruise on the Pearl. Short version of my problem is:

• I was incorrectly billed for something from the minibar I did not consume.
  • I met with the cabin steward and her supervisor to discuss the issue. The supervisor agreed to have the charge removed.
  • I was given a credit slip the next day. I was happy they resolved the issue
  • Final bill was fine.
  • Today I checked my credit card statement and I was AGAIN charged for the item I did not consume in a separate transaction from the final bill (dated 1 week after the cruise ended).

Once I got home and unpacked, I shredded my receipts ~ didn't anticipate a problem since the final bill was ok. I also only kept the final bill, not the statement during the week that showed the charges and the credit. It wasn't alot of money, so I didn't really think much of it. But it's the principal. I received a final bill that I agreed with, then a week later they charge me more.

I'm very disappointed in the way this was handled when we were on the ship and I'd like to send them a letter with my comments. I wouldn't be surprised if it never gets read, but I feel like I should try.

Any suggestions as to who to address this to that might actually read it?

Thank you

I received a voicemail from NCL apologizing for the error and saying that they would credit my charge card for the amount in question, plus would be sending me $100 onboard credit for a future cruise. As long as I get the credit for the amount in dispute, that's all I really expected. It hasn't come off my card yet, and nothing in the mail for the OBC, but it's early yet. Hopefully, this will be resolved to my satisfaction.

I did read a couple of recent posts that people had similar issues dealing with the staff regarding credits. I think NCL needs to improve their customer service in this area.

Morale of the story: check your bill a few times during the cruise and address any errors ASAP. Save all receipts, even if you think the issue is resolved!

I just got off the Gem and after I closed out my bill which I paid for in cash the cleaning people came in to check the mini bar. I said I closed out already-perhaps this should have been done ahead of time. He called it in and they agreed not to charge me for pringles my son ate. I guess with a cash deposit and payment-they really have no way to now. I have a feeling with credit cards-they check after you leave and who knows what can be put through. Also, during my week-they kept restocking it-but didn't charge anything until we were 5 days in-my son kept taking stuff out drinking it and I assumed it was not touched the entire week until I had almost 20.00 worth of charges. It is convenient-but I think another ploy to get more money out of you. It didn't put a damper on my cruise though-I still had a good time. Just wanted to give my input.

another reason to ask them to empty out the mini bar. No issues of child eating you out of house and home.

Yes, have the stewards clean out the mini bar before the cruise even starts. Just a tip for next time.:) We've traveled quite a bit and my daughters have had friends at times go with us. The first thing they would tell their friends when they walk into a room etc., 'DON'T DRINK THAT BOTTLE OF $5.00 WATER'! I was so proud.:p

I received a voicemail from NCL apologizing for the error and saying that they would credit my charge card for the amount in question, plus would be sending me $100 onboard credit for a future cruise.

Glad it worked out for you.:) I realize that sometimes things can happen and its frustrating, but I was appalled to read a recent Pearl review where the person didn't receive a $25 OBC and to 'send a message', in their words, took off the $360 gratuity which of course only stiffed the staff. Again, glad it worked out.

Though it looks like this might be cleared up, I would not assume the charge you got was for the one your got credited for. After all, they could have "discovered" a missing item after you left and charged you again, having nothing to do with the earlier charge. I would tend to think that is what happened.

There have been scattered reports of charges appearing after the final statement. This could easily happen if a guest removed something from the mini-bar just before checking out on the last day. Or in this case, the steward deciding to remove something, or miscounting.

I really do not think having the receipts would have helped in this situation. Just my guess.

Archived