What ship from Canaveral in 2009?

I was considering taking the Mariner out of Port Canaveral in 2009, but I see that it is moving to LA in Feb '09. Any idea what ship might replace it for the 7 day cruises?

Thanks!

We were on Navigator last week and asked the Future Cruise Consultant, he would not say, because we also wanted to book out of PC but new about mariner leaving. He said that there is a "Very Strong" rumor that Freedom would be moving to Port Canaveral. he said that if they left Port Canaveral with no 7 day itinerary, there would be riots in the streets. So he more or less said theyare going to replace mariner with a freedom class ship, he would not elaborate any further. He also said to expect an announcement sometime in May '08.

The replacement for Mariner has been a well kept secret by RCL. Everything you hear is speculation and rumor. We will all have to wait until the new schedules come out.

IMHO I do believe RCL will have 7day cruises from Pt. Canaveral since the Mariner, now, is always full. That would be a lot of cruisers and money not being made.

I was told from a TA friend of mine that her agency was informed back around Christmas that it was going to be the Freedom and this info. came from RCI headquarters.

This is supposed to be under the QT until the big announcement this spring however, it seems that the rumor as been going around from all angles therefore no longer a big secret.

We'll all know soon enough but one can definitely expect a replacement for sure as the Mariner is always floating almost to compacity.

I dont believe the cruise industry is taking a hit in economy as posted

above.. how could they continue to build the GENESIS family and

the FREEDOM family of new ships year after year?

The ships are 100% occupied in the summer when I have sailed.

I could see how the fuel can cost the cruise lines money, but

as I said they continue to build.

I also asked a RCI rep and he too had a suspicion that a Freedom

class ship would move to Port Canavaral...only because they need

Miami for the upcoming Genesis line.

I dont believe the cruise industry is taking a hit in economy as posted

above.. how could they continue to build the GENESIS family and

the FREEDOM family of new ships year after year?

The ships are 100% occupied in the summer when I have sailed.

I could see how the fuel can cost the cruise lines money, but

as I said they continue to build.

I also asked a RCI rep and he too had a suspicion that a Freedom

class ship would move to Port Canavaral...only because they need

Miami for the upcoming Genesis line.

Well as Genesis is going to Port Everglades and not Miami, we may not get Freedom at PC

My in-laws were just on Explorer and some of the crew (who they know well) said that Explorer would be moving to Port Canaveral in late 2009. They were told that Freedom would be moved up to Cape Liberty, NJ.

Guess we will see as the new itineraries are announced.

Everything is still speculation and no official word has been put out by RCI. It is my understanding that officials at the port in Port Canaveral and the various cruiselines are still at loggerheads over negotiating new leases. The Port Authority is balking at spending the money that would be necessary for improvements that would be required in order to accommodate ships the size of Freedom Class ships, unless RCI and other lines agree to long term leases. The cruiselines are reluctant to commit to long term leases which would limit their ability to shift their ships to other destinations which prove more popular than the Caribbean and where those ships can earn them much more revenue. All cruise lines have indicated that they are seeing a weakening in the Caribbean market and growing demand in Europe and Alaska, and other destinations. Until this impass is resolved, we aren't likely to learn much about what definitely will be happening after the Mariner departs, and unless the Port Canaveral officials quickly begin the infrastructure work on facilities that will allow them to handle such larger ships as Freedom, Liberty or Independence, it won't be possible for the lines to home port those ships there even if the lease question is solved.:rolleyes: About all we can do is wait and see, or perhaps contact the port officials and the cruise line executives to indicate our interest in seeing the situation resolved.:)

Wishing to have a Freedom class ship based in Port Canaveral is not enough to bring it about, especially if they don't make the necessary improvements.

Anyway, from action taken by posters on many threads including correspondence with RCI officials like CEO & President Adam Goldstein, a ship would not replace Mariner until late 2009 as RCI does not have sufficient ships until Genesis comes out. Most speculation has been on a Freedom class ship being moved up to Port Canveral but as other posters have said, all is rumor and speculation until itinerary announcements are made in April and May.

But speculation is FUN, Bill! ;)

I say, move Liberty of the Seas to Bayonne.

Get it? Liberty of the Seas.......sails right by the................. yes, you guessed it, STATUE OF LIBERTY.

:)

I've heard that mentioned as a possibility also, Carol:) Liberty of the Seas sailing out of Port Liberty in view of the Statue of Liberty.:) Or it could sail out of Philly home to the Liberty Bell or out of Boston where Faneuil Hall is known as the Cradle of Liberty. Maybe it could stop in Portsmouth, NH where the state motto is "Live Free or Die" or out of Virginia where Patrick Henry said "Give me Liberty or Give me Death". The possibilities and connections are seemingly endless :D

I'll toss in my two cents and mention that I really hope a Freedom class moves further north. Port Canaveral would be great! I am planning on driving to all cruise ports and Miami is just so far south, plus the fees to park there are making me go blind. At least for 'lil 'ole me, having a larger ship sail out of central Florida makes a lot of sense and would definitely improve my chances of cruising more often.

Archived