HAL appoints first woman ever in history as Hotelmanager

wvdleek

Marcella Himmelreich uit Heerhugowaard is pas 31, maar staat nu al aan het hoofd van 600 man personeel van de Holland Amerika Lijn-cruiseschepen. Ze is de eerste vrouw die deze functie heeft bij dit van oorsprong Nederlandse maar nu Amerikaanse bedrijf.

Holland America Line has appointed mrs. Marcella Himmelreich (31), living in Heerhugowaard in The Netherlands to hotelmanager.

This is the first time it the comany's history of appointing a woman in such a high rank.

Source: http://www.rtvnh.nl

Wonderful!!! Any one know which ship on which she is working/has recently worked?

She was H/M on Noordam from mid-Dec until mid-Jan and is slated to join Oosterdam on 02 APR 08

Hmmm; is the Hotel Manager ranked higher than the Cruise Directer? Susan Woods has been CD with HAL for a # of years. Heard she left, but later returned to HAL.

Yes, the H/M is higher than the C/D. Susan Wood is returning to the Rotterdam on 19 MAR 08

Yes sir, Captain. That's quite an honor. Congratulations to her! We discussed this on the board last December and everyone was quite pleased. Click here if you'd like to read those comments.

Well, normally I don't read this HAL board, but as she was interviewed on our regional redio, I thought it might be of interest to you.

I reported about her a few weeks ago, after she has a nice interview with reporters of Noord-Hollands Dagblad.

De Telegraaf had an interview with her a few days ago.

Seems she has been very busy....

Hmmm; is the Hotel Manager ranked higher than the Cruise Directer? Susan Woods has been CD with HAL for a # of years. Heard she left, but later returned to HAL.

The Hotel Manager significantly outranks a Cruise Director in terms of responsibility, accountablity and authority.

I reported about her a few weeks ago, after she has a nice interview with reporters of Noord-Hollands Dagblad.

De Telegraaf had an interview with her a few days ago.

Seems she has been very busy....

I have not seen that in the on-line version of Noord-Hollands Dagblad.

I only read on-line papers as I cannot afford papers any longer.

As I said, normally I don't read this HAL forum (I do have my reasons).

I have not seen that in the on-line version of Noord-Hollands Dagblad.

I only read on-line papers as I cannot afford papers any longer.

As I said, normally I don't read this HAL forum (I do have my reasons).

It was not on-line, only in the paper. I have the interview (in dutch) of Noord-Holland Dagblad still scanned in my PC.

If you like, I can e-mail it to you.

(I read the interview in De Telegraaf, but didnot scan that.)

It was not on-line, only in the paper. I have the interview (in dutch) of Noord-Holland Dagblad still scanned in my PC.

If you like, I can e-mail it to you.

(I read the interview in De Telegraaf, but didnot scan that.)

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks.

Hotel Manager wears four stripes........as does the Captain (though different colors). Captain and Hotel Manager are the two most senior on the ship.

Almost correct. Captain wears 4,5 stripes (the bottom one is 0,5 thicker than the others. Hotel manager, chief engineer and chief officer all wear 4 stripes. Each is responsible for their respective departments (hotel/engine/deck). Captain has overall command.

The Hotel Manager significantly outranks a Cruise Director in terms of responsibility, accountablity and authority.

Don't they all have the same number of stripes, though? I thought these types of officers (reporting directly to the captain) like hotel manager, cruise director, navigation officer, etc., were "four stripers" ... as least that's how I've heard them referred to.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Almost correct. Captain wears 4,5 stripes (the bottom one is 0,5 thicker than the others. Hotel manager, chief engineer and chief officer all wear 4 stripes. Each is responsible for their respective departments (hotel/engine/deck). Captain has overall command.

How many "stripes" is cruise director, then? I know he normally doesn't wear an officer's type uniform while onboard, but I know he is one.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Don't they all have the same number of stripes, though? I thought these types of officers (reporting directly to the captain) like hotel manager, cruise director, navigation officer, etc., were "four stripers" ... as least that's how I've heard them referred to.

Blue skies ...

--rita

All bridge officers are considered "navigation" officers however they can be of different rank and thus have different "stripes" or "bars" i.e. 1st officer, 2nd officer, chief officer, captain. They all have one thing in common which distinguishes them from hotel or engineering dept. officers though: one of their bars is looped

All bridge officers are considered "navigation" officers however they can be of different rank and thus have different "stripes" or "bars" i.e. 1st officer, 2nd officer, chief officer, captain. They all have one thing in common which distinguishes them from hotel or engineering dept. officers though: one of their bars is looped

Differences between the departments is as follows:

The captain and all the deck officers have gold stripes, of which the top one is 'looped', this is called a Nelson loop.

The engineering department has gold stripes, but without the loop.

The hotel department officers have gold stripes with white in between.

Medical department have gold stripes with red in between.

The communications/IT officer has green in between his stripes, and finally there is the environmental officer who has blue in between his stripes.

Deck, engine and hotel department have 4,3,2,1, 0.5 and 0.25 officers. Only exception is the captain with 4.5 stripes.

Differences between the departments is as follows:

The captain and all the deck officers have gold stripes, of which the top one is 'looped', this is called a Nelson loop.

The engineering department has gold stripes, but without the loop.

The hotel department officers have gold stripes with white in between.

Medical department have gold stripes with red in between.

The communications/IT officer has green in between his stripes, and finally there is the environmental officer who has blue in between his stripes.

Deck, engine and hotel department have 4,3,2,1, 0.5 and 0.25 officers. Only exception is the captain with 4.5 stripes.

An 'oddity' in HAL's striping is a particular Purser named Peter Wallis (sp?). He has 3 1/2 stripes. When he joined the company many years ago as Purser, it was a three stripe position. Through the years some responsibility was removed as GRM's were added and it became a two stripe position. He kept his three stripes AND got an additional half stripe for longevity.

We always enjoy when we board and find Peter Wallis aboard. Always enjoy sailing with him!

She was H/M on Noordam from mid-Dec until mid-Jan and is slated to join Oosterdam on 02 APR 08

Copper are your sure on that date for joining the Oosterdam? Lisa had posted in the roll call for the 3/22 sailing that she was to be joining their cruise. And I thought I had read the same in another thread at some point.

Archived