I need a private guide for Florence

who speaks clear English WITHOUT a strong accent, as I am severely hearing impaired and accents make it much harder for me to make out words. Men, having lower frequency voices, are better for me than women also. We are going to hire someone for two days: one day to take us around Florence to museums, etc, and one day to go to areas of Tuscany outside of Florence. We are altogether a group of five. I would appreciate your recommendations. Thanks so much!

Ellie

Last year, we were delighted with Paola Migliorini of Tuscany Tours: http://www.florencetour.com/

Paola (the Boss) handles the walking component of the tours in the heart of Florence, including Galleria dell'Accademia, The Duomo, and the Gates of Paradise. Debonair young male associates drive her fleet of luxury vans & Mercedes sedans throughout Tuscany.

GatesOfParadise.jpg

BPK_BKK_David.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Upon request, they can also arrange for a local guide at Piazza dei Miracoli in Pisa.

BPK_Pisa.jpg

We had a poor experience with Paola two summers ago when we took my son and his wife to Florence for the 1st time. Though we scheduled a private tour with her for the day, she booked another family for the same time--not what we contracted and paid for. Our tour of the Uffizzi was rushed and perfunctory. We would have preferred to linger and savor the experience. Moreover, her background in art history was superficial.

She also booked lunch for all of us at a very ordinary trattoria though we would have preferred a quicker, lighter meal. Perhaps this was why the Uffizzi visit was so rushed, After lunch she disappeared for the remainder of the time citing a previous engagement! Her husband then dropped us off in the shopping area before meeting us at 3 to return us to Livorno. When we returned to the dock, my husband told him how disappointed we were and he offered to refund $50 USD. Of course we took it--better than nothing--but we have had, before and since, far more interesting, engaged guides.

I very highly recommend Violetta Buti of beautyinitaly.com--she has shown us around Florence and Tuscany on three different occasions, and we have recommended her to many satisfied customers. Her English is excellent and she is easy to understand. She has shown us the museums (and many other things) in Florence, as well as Siena, San Gimignano and other nearby hill towns.

Les

Last May we used Giovanni Sirabella of Sunflower Tours and he was terrific. His English is very good and he is very knowledgable and very charming. We did 3 private tours and he was by far the best. Have fun.

Violetta sounds like a good choice IF she does not have a high pitched voice, but more of a husky voice, as my high frequency hearing is gone, even with hearing aids. Do you remember that? thanks!
She doesn't have a high pitched voice. You might try seeing if you could speak to her over the telephone to determine if her voice is OK for you.

Les

who speaks clear English WITHOUT a strong accent, as I am severely hearing impaired and accents make it much harder for me to make out words. Men, having lower frequency voices, are better for me than women also. We are going to hire someone for two days: one day to take us around Florence to museums, etc, and one day to go to areas of Tuscany outside of Florence. We are altogether a group of five. I would appreciate your recommendations. Thanks so much!

Ellie

I loved Marco Miniati of http://www.tuscanytours.net/ his e-mail address is info@tuscanytours.net

He was great and we went to San Gimigiano, Rocca Della Macie Winery, Siena and Florence. We loved San Gimigiano and it is absolutely one of the most incredible places we ever visited in Italy. Marco has great prices and was on time and was excellent. I don't remember him having any type of accent.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if I am too late to relay my problem with Paola to this poster, but to any of you who are thinking of hiring Paola, DON'T!!!

We had engaged Paola for a tour of Tuscany many months ahead. She assured me that she would personally be our tour guide, and I gave her my credit card to guarantee the private tour.

When we got off the cruise ship in Livorno, Paola was not there, but had arranged to have another "guide" to take us on our tour. This gentleman was nice enough, but he was not a "guide", but a taxi driver. He told us Paola had an emergency and could not make it. We asked him to call Paola so I could speak to her directly, and when I pressed her about the emergency, she finally admitted she had a larger group that she needed to guide in Florence. She said she needed to guide them personally, as Florence necessitated a guide and Tuscany did not.

This was an example of the classic "bait and switch". I am warning you to steer clear of Paola....she is not to be trusted.

Just want you all to know that we went with Giovanni Sirabella and he was superb -- very knowledgeable, personable, and excellent and clear English. Our group of five hired him for the day (7 hrs.) and he threw in a couple of extra hours so we could seethe maximum of the countryside. He is just great! Thanks to all who recommended him.

Ellie

We've used a wonderful guide in Florence. Her name is Pauline Priori and she's an American who has lived in Florence for 25 years. We were amazed to discover that we went to the same high school in Newton, Mass. You can reach her at paulinep@tin.it. We did a wonderful day with her in October and went to the best winery for tasting and lunch. We've toured with her several times and she's an absolute pleasure.

Joan

Archived