Cheap memory

You are so right, there really is no reason to dumb down resolution to save space. My favorite place to buy memory is Newegg.com, they have some incredibly good prices, reasonable, and super fast shipping!

MAC

I thought I did great last Thanksgiving with 2Gb cards for $24. Then last weekend I saw Costco had a 4Gb Sandisk Ultra II for $30. There's no excuse for not having enough memory along on a cruise. :D

Addendum: Cheap GOOD memory! :D

I picked up some Sandisk 4GB Ultra IIs at Costco just before I left! What a deal!

Dave

Note to those looking to buy more memory. Don't forget to check your camera

specs and know the maximum size card that it will accept. Not all digitals

can take a 4gb card and some are limited to 1gb. Many older cameras

have even lower tolerance.

Note to those looking to buy more memory. Don't forget to check your camera

specs and know the maximum size card that it will accept. Not all digitals

can take a 4gb card and some are limited to 1gb. Many older cameras

have even lower tolerance.

Great advise, many of the brand name flash memory companies such as Sandisc, Lexar, and Transcend have compatibility links on their websites which are very helpful.

MAC

With so many places to get good prices on memory, I'm still surprised to see so many people paying inflated prices at Best Buy. :confused:

No kidding, I haven't bought anything from that place or circuit city in a while. I just bought a laptop from newegg, the same exact model and specs at the big box stores were $250 more.

With memory so cheap now, I can't believe that there are still people out there shooting at less than the best resolution on their cameras.:confused:

MAC

With memory so cheap now, I can't believe that there are still people out there shooting at less than the best resolution on their cameras.:confused:

MAC

But, my camera says I can put 10,000 photos on a 1 GB card if I set it on "Small" - "Normal"....I can take my whole 2 week cruise on one card and spend all the money I saved on memory on four martinis! :p

Dave

No kidding, I haven't bought anything from that place or circuit city in a while.

Ah, but the nice thing about Circuit City is that if you bring in the print ad from another retailer (sometimes an online ad will do, I have done it & they've looked up the site) you get the competitor's price LESS 10%! We have a Circuit City very close to home, and it's so easy to just bring in the ad and stock up at 10% lower than the competition's advertised sale price!

I thought I did great last Thanksgiving with 2Gb cards for $24. Then last weekend I saw Costco had a 4Gb Sandisk Ultra II for $30. There's no excuse for not having enough memory along on a cruise. :D

I was in Wallyworld and they had 3 X 2gig for $35.00 ish. It's crazy, I paid @ $85.00 for a 256 not that long ago.

Can anyone help me understand what the speed of 133X means?

An "X" refers to the base transfer rate of the original audio/data CD-ROM which was 150K/Sec. 133X is 133x 150 kilobits/sec or about 20 megabit/sec. Keep in mind that megabits is divided by 8 to measure megabytes/sec. A 133X card has a rated maximum transfer rate of about 2.5 MB or 1 fairlly large JPEG every second.

Another note is that these ratings seldom have any effect on how fast your camera works above about 66x. Some higher-end DSLRs (and camcorders that use an SD card) can use the extra speed to write to the cards (up to the current max od 300X), but mostly, speed is limited by the controller in the camera. The benefit comes when you download to your computer. 133x will offload files approximately twice as fast as 66x.

Hope that helped...

Dave

Ah Ha! Dave It did....Thanks! I thought it was just how sweet my Mac was, so I really can't tell how fast this card does work since the card and the mac transfer are both new to me.

The 1 jpeg every second is the part that gives me a perspective since I can relate to time on my work computer.

I got the card pretty cheap when I got the XTI at B&H, so I thought OK. I have also and since bought cards at Costco. I am someone who never wipes out the cards but consider them like negatives.

Old habits die hard. I've had too many hard drives fail and I figure the cards are cheaper than recovery. But now that I have this new mac with this mac web site....:D

I am someone who never wipes out the cards but consider them like negatives.

Old habits die hard. I've had too many hard drives fail and I figure the cards are cheaper than recovery. But now that I have this new mac with this mac web site....:D

Consider an external USB hard drive or two to store redundant backups of your images. Very inexpensive per-GB storage and quite reliable. Much easier to store a backup on and a lot easier recovery.

Does your MAC have an option for RAID? That's another reliability bump.

I'm about as paranoid as you can get about data and images, but I always clear my cards after they are copied to the hard drive, organized and backed up.

Dave

Real world info on how various cards perform with various DSLRs or transfer times to the computer:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

I generally ignore the X-thing, since it's just manufacturer hype. For example, on a Nikon D80 a Transcend 80X 1GB is faster than a Transcend 150X 4GB. I know it's because a smaller card is faster, but it's still misleading.

Real world info on how various cards perform with various DSLRs or transfer times to the computer:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

I generally ignore the X-thing, since it's just manufacturer hype. For example, on a Nikon D80 a Transcend 80X 1GB is faster than a Transcend 150X 4GB. I know it's because a smaller card is faster, but it's still misleading.

Quite true! The "x" rating is, at best, a guideline. Depending on the type of controller used by the card or the camera, there can be a wide range of performance. Size, as you mentioned is an issue in some cases. As I mentioned before, how a card performs in a camera usually has less to do with the rated speed than how fast it transfers to the computer in a reader. Most cameras won't make use of the extra speed, but download times can be greatly different.

I use Sandisk Ultras and Extremes because they work well with my Minoltas and the new Sony, but Lexar cards with the same rating may work better with other brands.

Another caveat is that cheap cards from generic suppliers can often display a higher rating that they would ever be able to achieve in real-world conditions. I tend to stick to the established brands and pay a bit more for peace of mind.

Buyer beware, eh?

Dave

I'm going on an Alaska vacation and was thinking of getting my pictures put on disc or bringing my laptop to download. I even thought of purchasing a media hard drive to upload the pictures, which was pretty expensive. After reading messages on here, I bought some memory cards for a great deal. I ordered them online at B&H photo. I purchased a Kingston 4GB elete pro compact flash (266X) and a Kingston 4GB (133X). I paid the following:

4GB 266x; $85 with a $50 rebate= $35

4 GB 133X $38.50 with a $20 rebate

This came to about $50 for both after rebates.

I already had a 1 GB and another 4 GB, so I should definatly have enough memory for my trip. 13 GB total.

Archived