live music

antediluvian

Who else loves live music? I am talking about the non-recorded and non-computer-generated music performed by gifted musicians. Some of my favorite cruise moments have been listening to real music carefully, even lovingly performed. My own musical tastes are fairly broad. What styles do the rest of you like?

On a transatlantic I made a point of listening to a guitarist named Kevin (I forgot his last name) who played in the atrium in the afternoon. Honestly, his is some of the best guitar I have ever heard.

In the Wheelhouse recently, The Bruce Gordon Trio performed much of my favorite great American Songbook classics without ANY stupid computer junk. Their music is worth listening to every note, always fresh, always creative, like this music should be played. Though he was not often visible, the pianist for the trio, Matt Dawson, is a musician I could enjoy for hour after hour because he is brilliant, creative, fun, and amazingly skillful. Bruce's vocal interpretations of these songs have become my standard, now. Other vocalists are all compared to him now in my mind.

I applaud the skillful musicians on Princess and hope they do not get cut due to budget adjustments. Truly they are a major reason I book a stateroom on Princess! Some of the computer-playing one and two person bands who hardly understand the lyrics of the songs of they sing can be left ashore. But the skillful musical performers should be recognized for important part they contribute to our cruises.

Who else has some favorite live music memories??

On the Carnival Victory 2004 I throughly enjoyed a Jazz Trio that played in the main attrium bar around dinner time. I would make it a point to get a drink at the bar and just LISTEN! I even snapped a few pictures of them and emailed them back to them after the cruise. :D

Archived