Crown Princess March 1 - 8 Review

antediluvian

We flew into San Juan a day early and spent the night at the Marriott Resort, a beautiful place, with very helpful, friendly staff. I highly recommend this resort! We left the resort at about noon and took a taxi to the cruise ship where we boarded without delay. Our stateroom was an inside (R745) very near the aft pool and one deck beneath the food! Except for some moving of deck chairs above us at about 2AM we had no noise issues back there. I would certainly enjoy this stateroom again. It is very conveniently located.

For breakfast and lunch, we always ate at the Horizon Court or at the Cafe Caribe since those were SO convenient for us. We took dinner in the Da Vinci dining room where the head waiter, Konrad, allowed us to make dinner reservations for the whole week at the table for two that we enjoyed the first night. He took excellent care of us and ensured our enjoyment each night. In fact, he ordered some special courses for us making Wednesday night one of the top six most wonderful dining evenings of my entire life. You bet, he got a "You Made a Difference" card from us at the end of the cruise!

The islands we visited were highly varied. St Thomas is a port we have visited often. This time, since it was Sunday and not a long stay, we opted for some simple shopping with friends. My wife had been saving up for a watch and we found a good deal on one that is perfect for her. Shopping with friends and conferring with each other made the day extra fun.

St Kitts was one of the friendliest. We walked around their great town and took some pictures and then shopped for some locally crafted batik. We did not make it out to the factory, but a police officer directed us to a shop in town that sold some. This is some of the prettiest stuff! We found a pareo for my wife. I found a shirt that I liked but it was not in my size.

In Grenada, we hired a tour from A&E tours. Eddie met us at the dock and took us with about six other people on a half day tour. He is excellent! I highly recommend him. This island is so green and lush. We took more photos and had a wonderful time. I found some local rum I liked there, named Old Grog and bought a bottle to bring home. Nice!

On Bonaire we went with friends to the beach (Eden Beach) and ate lunch there. We dubbed the tax driver who took out there Tugboat Annie as she interspersed heartfelt complaints among death defying maneuvers. Now THAT was a taxi ride! My wife and I opted to take a taxi (different driver) back to town after lunch and do some shopping. This was a nice relaxing day.

Aruba is quiet modern and built up, at least near the port. We walked to a little park and beach, then back along the main drag for some shopping and a snack.

Honestly, I liked each of the islands for different reasons. I cannot advise skipping any of them. And I do not believe I have seen more than a small percent of what they have to offer.

Mostly, this cruise, for me was about music and friends. We spent a great deal of time at the Wheelhouse lounge listening to The Bruce Gordon Trio and chatting with them and their friends for many hours. We went to the Crown Grill with them Tuesday night for a steak dinner. I love this music and I love the way this Trio brings it to life. Bruce and his guys are taking a couple months of holiday now. The week we spent with them was the last week of their contract on the Crown. I think they will be on the Diamond this summer on the Alaska cruises.

I really liked the way Princess has set up the bottom floor of the atrium. It has become a great place to get a cup of coffee for me and a gelato for my wife and sit and enjoy whatever is going on there. I think the Crown would be a great Transatlantic ship for all the nice places on it and things to do. For example, the Adiagio lounge at the aft, next to Sabatini's looks like a great place, but we just never made it there. I think a transatlantic would be what I might need to find all the best parts of this ship.

Did I mention the thermal suite? I went there nearly every day. Though the Sanctuary looked great, I just didn't have the time.

I do not have any complaints about this ship or the staff or anything. Though my wife and I each suffered some serious health issues during this cruise, those pains did not hinder our enjoyment. I figure what better place can I imagine to be in a little pain? And the joy of the cruise overshadows any pains anyway. That is how great this cruise and this ship are. I wonder if I can get my doctor to prescribe a cruise for me?

I have a few of my photos where you are welcome to view them at http://homepage.mac.com/maryandbert/PhotoAlbum15.html

Our room steward was Yunyuth (pronounced Yoon-youth). Good man. He took good care of us. We asked for about a dozen extra hangers on the first day and he promptly supplied them. The normal number of hangers supplied is sufficient for ordinary cruisers. But at least one of us tends to bring a lot of clothes on a cruise. :)

Thanks for your comments.

Our room steward was Yunyuth (pronounced Yoon-youth). Good man. He took good care of us. We asked for about a dozen extra hangers on the first day and he promptly supplied them. The normal number of hangers supplied is sufficient for ordinary cruisers. But at least one of us tends to bring a lot of clothes on a cruise. :)

Thanks for your comments.

Thanks we stayed in R-743 across the hall and had a different guy. :)

bruzbabe,

Jewelry prices, who besides jewelers can figure them out? I think the deal we got at Star jewelers was about 10% less than the good deals we could find elsewhere. In other words it was about $30 less than we were seeing as best prices elsewhere. But not everybody has the identical watch, and one thing and another, it can be difficult to compare exactly. The watch is a Citizen Ecodrive lady's watch that has some diamonds and a nice saphire crystal and looks great on my wife. We are very happy with the deal. Star Jewelers is not one of the Princess recommended stores, but I believe they treated us very well, and gave us a good price on a good watch. When you remember that there is not the 8.25% sales tax we pay at home, the deal is even better.

how is cabin r743 on the crown? i have never booked so far aft or with the lido deck above...any noise issues? is the balcony like most other balconies on that deck?

thanks!

I thought it was one of the best locations we have had.

Close to the door to the Terrace Pool and Horizon Court.

No noise, private balcony which is a standard size. :)

Thanks for the review. We will be a bit down the hall next month. We also had a similar room on the Star last year (Aloha aft) and loved it! There was a bit of chair noise, but we used ear plugs and had no problems after that! The location is great! Only steps away from the aft pool and the buffet! Kids club also convenient. Not much hall "traffic" either.

Thanks for the review.

In Grenada, we hired a tour from A&E tours. Eddie met us at the dock and took us with about six other people on a half day tour. He is excellent! I highly recommend him. This island is so green and lush. We took more photos and had a wonderful time. I found some local rum I liked there, named Old Grog and bought a bottle to bring home. Nice!

We are also taking an A&E tour in Grenada. I was worried about being late for the 9am tour because of tendering, and also worried about getting back to the ship on time after the tour. Was this a concern for you and were there any problems coordinating time? Thanks!

Seabeacon, We did not tender, so that was not a concern. We had no problem meeting Eddie on time, but that was because we were very careful to be among the first to get off the ship. Returning to the ship on time WAS a concern but Eddie knew what he was doing. He did not get us back as early as I would like, but we were not running to the ship either!

Archived