Beaches

SeafordCruiser

I wouldn't book through the ship. I think RCI sends you to Colony Beach Resort and it's crowded because all of the ships excursions seem to go there.

My first cruise in 2004 we booked through the ship.

Last year we did our own thing. We took a taxi to Sea Grape. I think the taxi was $4-5 pp. Our chairs were $5 each and Umbrella $10. The restroom was clean and there is a bar there.

Info offered in other threads indicates that it is probably prohibitively expensive... unfortunately.

We rented a car and went to Rum Point and circumnavigated the island. There are a LOT of nice beachs other than 7 mile, and the island has a totally different feel - uncrowded, relatively undeveloped, more natural Caribbean - than the congested Georgetown/7 mile "strip".

The driving is easy too.

Although people have a lot of negative things to say about booking the Seven Mile Beach Break through the ship, we did it last week on the RCCL Navigator and really enjoyed it. There was a complication in getting off of the ship since stingray city was canceled and everyone who had booked it was up in arms, causing a delay for everyone, but once we got to on the bus for Seven Mile Beach with our happy, singing driver, everything was great.

We went the the Colony Beach Club and it was fine with me. In fact, I would consider staying there. It's not a luxury resort; it is an old style Caribbean type place that has music, a full resaurant, bar, and changing area/ restroom. The beach area was definitely populated but not to the degree that it was uncomfortable by any means. You are guaranteed a chair, get a free welcome drink, and transportation for around 30.00 per person; it was a good deal in my opinion. The place is very clean, especially restrooms. You can purchase it with or without the meal. The meal was a buffet (we did not get it) but it looked much better than what I would have expected. We ordered off of the menu which was good. They just had sandwiches and burgers, but that was a nice change from the rich, although yummy food on the ship.

I have been to a lot of beaches around the world and was not at all disappointed in this one. I'm really not the type to go to a secluded beach without facilities on an island; especiallly if I am there on a cruise stop. I wanted to be guaranteed to have a chair, food and facilties and this excursion fulfilled my wishes. I am glad I ignored all of the negative comments on the boards about this excursion, many of which are made by people who have "heard" what this place is like, but have not been there.

Any idea how much a cab is to Rum point beach?

About $75 US each way...and there won't be taxis waiting there to take you back to the ship, so you'll have to prearrange the return trip. It's about a 45 minute drive each way.

You're better off renting a car or taking an excursion if you're set on going to Rum Point.

Hi,

My husband and I are leaving on the Grand Princess in a few days. We'll be stopping in Grand Cayman and are looking for a good beach. We like beaches with nice sand and some good waves. We enjoy playing in the shallow part of the waves (between waste and shoulder deep) and just bobbing around. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi,

My husband and I are leaving on the Grand Princess in a few days and are looking for a good beach in Grand Cayman. We like beaches with nice sand and some waves. We like playing in the waves (waist to shoulder deep) and just bobbing around. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Archived