Am I out of my mind......

Lulachick

:eek: my 25th class reunion is in 2010 and I am on the planning committee. Would I be out of my mind to suggest a cruise on either the Fantasy or Spirit class ships? My class only had about 130 so I am guessing we would only have about 50 plus their families that would go. I can only hope the rednecks behave themselves. Can you guess point me in the right direction since so many of you plan the CC group trips? I do plan events so that part I am not worried about.

:eek: my 25th class reunion is in 2010 and I am on the planning committee. Would I be out of my mind to suggest a cruise on either the Fantasy or Spirit class ships? My class only had about 130 so I am guessing we would only have about 50 plus their families that would go. I can only hope the rednecks behave themselves. Can you guess point me in the right direction since so many of you plan the CC group trips? I do plan events so that part I am not worried about.

I am not picking on "Rednecks" my classmates would be proud to call themselves a redneck. I have at least 2 homosexuals in my class-neither one showed up to our 20th and both were invited, a rocker, a major university band director, several Carolina grads, a former model. We have grown up. I think there was one that could not seem to get it that most of the females had their husbands with them and was making a pass at us.

You would be lucky to get 3 couples to go, just plan something local and cheap.

Fred

I am not picking on "Rednecks" my classmates would be proud to call themselves a redneck. I have at least 2 homosexuals in my class-neither one showed up to our 20th and both were invited, a rocker, a major university band director, several Carolina grads, a former model. We have grown up. I think there was one that could not seem to get it that most of the females had their husbands with them and was making a pass at us.

Sounds like every class reunion I've been to and I havent missed any in 30 years! I guess deep down we are all "rednecks" in our own way.

I would think you need to look at your people and decide if the majority can afford a cruise. That's a whole lot more than I've ever paid for a reunion.

I've never planned a group cruise where I was a part of the group, but I've spoken with a great number of people who have initially considered a cruise for their class reunion. It is a lot of work on the planner, or the planning committee, since you'll not only be dealing with the cruise booking details (such as deposits, payments, and periodic changes), but the onboard activities to be created around the ship's activity schedule.

And on more than a few occasions, the deciding factor of cruise vs. non-cruise came down to how comfortable everyone felt about having their old classmates seeing them daily around the pool in a swimsuit.

Similarly, I am on the reunion committee for our upcoming HS class reunion. There were nearly 800 in my class and I tried to stimulate some interest in including a cruise option, but got no takers. I was amazed to learn how"poor" all of my classmates really are. It's been difficult collecting the $50 per person fee for the two day reunion taking place in June.

I think that having a cruise for your reunion sounds like fun....BUT - many people would not be able to attend - financial and family issues may be too much. Heck my class committee were considering a harbor cruise around the Puget Sound here - and we were worried about some people feeling a bit "stuck" because they can't get off the boat when they want to. Can you imagine being on a ship for accummulative days.....Now I know people would have tons of time on their own...But...

This would be something that would be good maybe for the 50th reunion or later on....

I am a planner of events at a hotel and some of the class reunions I do talk about doing a cruise too. I know of one class where the planning committee did a cruise together. This was a group of 18 who get together every month to plan the reunion. They are an amazing group of people. They are having their 50th reunion at our hotel.

Anyway - back to the idea. I would say not yet.

Can you put out a questionnaire to the class, and see what kind of response you get regarding having a reunion cruise?

It sounds like fun, but I don't know how feasable it is - like Jill said, it sounds like something that might be more appropriate for a later year reunion - 40 year to 50 year or so...

My 15th class reunion was a cruise, we had a class of about 400 and 18 came on the cruise! Its a fun idea, but most people can't afford to spend that kind of $ on a reunion trip. That much spending is usually saved for those once a year family trips. We left our kids with my parents, and i have been on 11 cruises, but i would have to say I wouldn't do it again.

I think cruises are great for family reunions, but not for high school reunions. For starters, high school is a painful time for a lot of people (I saw a bunch of people from high school this weekend and people that I thought were so with it admitted how much they hated it and how they don't want to go to any reunion ever), so they don't want to go to any reunion. Second, you have the affordability factor. Even those that can afford may not want to go due to reliving high school not being the most appealing thing. My class of 300 could barely get 40 people to my 10 year reunion, and it was local! I actually enjoyed high school, but I wouldn't want to do a reunion cruise.

I think that having a cruise for your reunion sounds like fun....BUT - many people would not be able to attend - financial and family issues may be too much. Heck my class committee were considering a harbor cruise around the Puget Sound here - and we were worried about some people feeling a bit "stuck" because they can't get off the boat when they want to. Can you imagine being on a ship for accummulative days.....Now I know people would have tons of time on their own...But...

This would be something that would be good maybe for the 50th reunion or later on....

I am a planner of events at a hotel and some of the class reunions I do talk about doing a cruise too. I know of one class where the planning committee did a cruise together. This was a group of 18 who get together every month to plan the reunion. They are an amazing group of people. They are having their 50th reunion at our hotel.

Anyway - back to the idea. I would say not yet.

I see you are from Tacoma. What school did you graduate from? We lived in Spanaway for many years. My kids graduated from Spanaway Lake and Bethel High. Small world.

I don't want to add to the "bubble buster bunch", but IMO, the people I liked in high school I'm still friends with. Everyone else I could take or leave, and I sure as heck wouldn't to go on vacation with any of them. It's about all I can manage to show up in the town we graduated from (20 miles from here) and get through the night. I enjoy it as a "cocktail party" setting, but not to hang with all of them for DAYS.

Don't give up on finding a new and fun idea. How about a fun bowling tournament (I love these, and I'm not a real bowler. They have frames where you bowl through your partners legs. Bowl from a sitting position on a chair. Some alleys have specially marked pins where they randomly get set up and if you get them down you get a free drink. They also give prizes for people who did the poorest, LOL. And personalized bowling shirts would be a FUN souvenir).

Or even a "Survivor" or "Fear Factor" themed reunion, following loosely the guideline of those shows. Lots of neat ideas somewhere between cruise and same old, boring dinner and dance. :) Good luck!

Just had our 35th last summer - yeah we're all grownups now...love cruising...just can't see spending even 3 days with that bunch. I suggested a cruise for our 30th & 35th - politely shot down. Thank heaven!! :eek:

Archived