Dress style for men on non-formal nights

kazda

Travelling on PD April school holidays and have questions re mens dress requirements.

Can men wear 'good' dressy tee shirts with dressy jeans when eating in the dining room on non-formal nights?

As if it has to be collared shirts every night in the dining room for men I'm going to have to 'hit' the shops for a few more collared shirts for hubby !

What about if eating at the buffet (cafe de sol) - Can men wear 'good' tee shirts and jeans OR it is collared shirts and good dress pants at every dining venue ??

P & O Cruising Guide says 'Smart Casual evenings - long trousers and a polo or collared shirt for men'. I didn't see any tee shirts in the dining room, but they may not enforce the dress code in the buffet area and the show lounge etc. I saw men turned away who wore shorts and/or thongs or singlet tops. You could get buy with a couple of shirts because he will only wear each one for a few hours in the evening in air-conditioned rooms so the shirt would not need washing every day. :D:D

thanks for your reply

Would long pants also mean dress jeans for men would be acceptable in the dining room for non formal nights

I was also planning on wearing dressy jeans myself for the dining room on those nights so I'm hoping it's acceptable for women also.

Any idea on whether dressy jeans are acceptable in dining room for nonformal nights ??

tks

karen

Yes, dressy jeans are acceptable in the dining room, with a nice top, should be fine. My hubby wears jeans and polo type tshirts (the ones with a collar) to the dining room with no worries. Just no shorts or singlets.

Chez

xx

Cheznandy - thanks so much for your reply.

Good to know we can be waited on and served scrumptious food in jeans and collared shirt.:)

Was starting to think we would be eating pizza every night if men weren't allowed into dining room with jeans for nonformal nights.

Thanks again

I have one more question...sorry

Also travelling with 2 x 16yr old sons.

Can they wear dressy knee length shorts into dining room for non formal nights and 'good' tee shirts? Or do teenagers also have to wear long pants to dining room for nonformal nights.

Shorts are not boardshort/surfy nylon material but nice black cotton dress shorts which come a bit past their knee.

They would also be wearing shoes and not thongs.

I have one more question...sorry

Also travelling with 2 x 16yr old sons.

Can they wear dressy knee length shorts into dining room for non formal nights and 'good' tee shirts? Or do teenagers also have to wear long pants to dining room for nonformal nights.

Shorts are not boardshort/surfy nylon material but nice black cotton dress shorts which come a bit past their knee.

They would also be wearing shoes and not thongs.

I think the answer would be 'no'. Shorts are shorts and I don't think they bend that rule. Jeans are a simple option that would meet the dress code.:D

Just a suggestion about collared shirts for blokes.

I always take a couple of microfibre shirts with me. They never need ironing and they dry really quickly.

I also take half a dozen clothes pegs, and a bit of liquid laundry detergent.

On the night I wear my microfibre shirt, before I go to bed, I just rinse the shirt in the sink, wring it out, and hang it up on the clothes line in the shower.

By the time the morning comes round, it's bone dry and ready to be used again.

Just a suggestion about collared shirts for blokes.

I always take a couple of microfibre shirts with me. They never need ironing and they dry really quickly.

I also take half a dozen clothes pegs, and a bit of liquid laundry detergent.

On the night I wear my microfibre shirt, before I go to bed, I just rinse the shirt in the sink, wring it out, and hang it up on the clothes line in the shower.

By the time the morning comes round, it's bone dry and ready to be used again.

Wonder if that will work for the formal night microfibre tux?

I think the answer would be 'no'. Shorts are shorts and I don't think they bend that rule. Jeans are a simple option that would meet the dress code.:D

See, thats where im confused. I took 3 pairs on non formal long pants on the 7 nighter and brought 2 of them back unworn. Got into the dining room with knee length (in not a little longer) every other night bar formal nights.

It also depends on who is at the door 'greeting you'. I also saw people in shorts on the first couple of nights, but passengers complained to the Maitre'd and it was squashed pretty quickly.

By all means try the long dress shorts for the younger lads...it only takes a couple of minutes to head back to the room and change if they are told no.

Enjoy your cruise.

Check out what my son wore for island night:eek: :eek: I think i can see boxer shorts under there somewhere:p he got away with wearing that, but I have also seen others turned away on previous cruises for dressing like that in the dining room on Island night, so as Karen says, depends who's on the door:)

1549769444_4d63d70e18.jpg?v=0

Chez

xx

On our Feb/Mar cruise on the Sun, I saw more people turned away from the dining room than ever before. I think it would be a bit embarrassing, not to mention the bother of heading back to the cabin for a change. Surely, it is not too difficult for the guys to wear jeans to dinner if they don't have other long pants. On a seven night cruise, assuming the guy wears other pants on the two formal nights, surely he would only need one other pair of long pants, or at most two.

I agree with Neilius' suggestion of a shirt that can be washed and dried quickly and easily. Of course, it won't work for pants that would take much longer to dry. Better to have an extra pair.:D:D

Archived