rci theme song

yeah, i like hearing the song too, but it's iggy pop. so, it's about shooting up junk and stuff. nothing says maritime comfort like a song about drugs! :-)

Agreed... I always thought it was a ridiculous song for a cruise line. It's one of my pet peeves that ad agencies use so many well-known songs, usually in the wrong context :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Lust For Life lyrics

Here comes Johnny Yen again

With the liquor and drugs

And the flesh machine

He's gonna do another striptease

Hey man where'd you getThat lotion?

I been hurting

Since I bought the gimmick

About something called love

Yeah something called love

That's like hypnotizing chickens

Well I am just a modern guy

Of course I've had it in the ear before

'Cause of a lust for life

I would think a family oriented cruiseline like RCI would have chosen a better theme song.

What do you tell your kids when they ask about the words to the song?

I tell them that it's about puppies and kitties and ... hey, who wants to go ride bikes?

A while back I read an article in the Wall St. Journal about the problems that political campaigns have in selecting theme songs. They're the songs that the campaigns use when the candidates come onto the stage in the many, many appearances that they make. In 2000 one campaign was considering using "American Woman" for the candidate's wife's theme song until someone bothered looking up the lyrics. It was dropped quickly.

(That was just an example, don't turn this into a political thread or it'll get deleted)

So, what song would be better for RCI to use as a theme song?

1. It has to be catchy.

2. It has to be tolerable when listening to it on hold for upwards of 30 minutes.

3. It can't be by Jimmy Buffet (Not all cruises are to the Caribbean)

A while back I read an article in the Wall St. Journal about the problems that political campaigns have in selecting theme songs. They're the songs that the campaigns use when the candidates come onto the stage in the many, many appearances that they make. In 2000 one campaign was considering using "American Woman" for the candidate's wife's theme song until someone bothered looking up the lyrics. It was dropped quickly.

(That was just an example, don't turn this into a political thread or it'll get deleted)

So, what song would be better for RCI to use as a theme song?

1. It has to be catchy.

2. It has to be tolerable when listening to it on hold for upwards of 30 minutes.

3. It can't be by Jimmy Buffet (Not all cruises are to the Caribbean)

How about The Go-Gos "Vacation? It's my ringtone! :D No drugs or booze ... no puppies or kitties, either ... ;)

CHORUS

Vacation

All I ever wanted

Vacation

Had to get away

Vacation

(Not) Meant to be spent alone

How about The Go-Gos "Vacation? It's my ringtone! :D No drugs or booze ... no puppies or kitties, either ... ;)

CHORUS

Vacation

All I ever wanted

Vacation

Had to get away

Vacation

(Not) Meant to be spent alone

Not bad Lorna!!:D :D

Actually not bad at all!!

Rick

Have any of you actually read the lyrics? While an earlier poster put a portion of the song up, the rest might surprise you. Up to this point, my image of the song had been solely informed by the occasional discussion here on CC.

Disclaimer: Let me say that for a "family" cruiseline this song probably isn't what I would choose either. Don't want to come off sounding like I defend RCI's use of the song at all. And, there are "bad" words in it...liquor, drugs, etc appear to be the theme. That much is true. I also have to admit that there is a line or two that I don't think i even understand. Almost unintelligible the way the words are put together.

But we did finally bother to look up the lyrics last week as my dw downloaded the "RCI theme song" for her cell phone ringer. If you read on to the end of the song, you find that it sounds as though the subject is attempting to kick these un-healthy habits because he has a "lust for life." Just wanted to add a little balance to the discussion. At least that's what we came away with.

If you read past the "bad words", and ask yourself what the message is, you might be surprised.

It's one of my pet peeves that ad agencies use so many well-known songs, usually in the wrong context :rolleyes:

Yeah, I think I saw a diaper commercial featuring "Rock & Roll All Night" by Kiss. I bet Gene and the guys never imagined that one. :D

Archived