Navigator of the Seas vs. Monarch of the Seas?

rjf32

Two years ago my wife and I went on a 7 day carribean cruise for our honeymoon on the Navigator of the Seas. We absolutely loved the ship. Only one night did it even feel like we were on a ship, the rest of the nights the size of the ship made it so you couldn't feel any waves. One day we weren't able to tender at a port but that was okay because there were tons of things to do on the boat. We are thinking of going on a 3-4 day Mexico cruise and wondering how the ships will differ. The cruise we are looking at going on is the Monarch of the Seas. How much smaller is the ship? Is there still a lot to do on the ship? Will we be more likely to feel the waves? Also, on a 3-4 night cruise what are the meals like? We absolutely loved having lobster one night on our first cruise, will they have that on a 3-4 night cruise?

Monarch is a bit smaller than some of the newer RC ships...I dont know f Navigator is one of the ships with a Promenade, but if it is that will be one of the more noticeable differences, but the biggest variation will be cabin size...Monarch's cabins, like others her age are smaller...the good part about that is on the shorter cruises you spend very little time in the room...and I dont believe Lobster is offered on the shorter trips

Monarch is much smaller ... the rooms are tiny and there are fewer things to do than on Navigaor, but still plenty of options. 3-4 night cruises are more of a relaxed experience (or party to some people). No lobster on the short ones, though.

;) Did 5 day on NOS 1st part of Feb and enjoyed. Were on board for the Super Bowl and crew had 4 different Super Bowl parties going. Also, the moved formal night back day for Super Bowl. DW from Bean Town and would have not gone to diner had to watch the game. I will take NOS for short cruise agin. Lots to do and enjoy.

The Monarch is an older ship. There are fewer 'entertainment spots' but the 3 and 4 day cruises pack most of the 7 night activities into a very busy cruise. The 4 day is in port every day - so that does keep people busy. It is the Pacific and it is not as warm as the Caribbean. And you can get some motion especially on the last day heading back to Los Angeles.

You are comparing 2 cruises with very different pricing. The Monarch seems to have one of the lowest per diem charges of all the RCI ships. For us west coasters - the Monarch cruises have been a great bargain and a lot of fun.

We just got off Mariner, a sister of Navigator, and there were actually fewer activities per day than on Monarch because it was spread out over a week.

The route for Monarch is seldom rough. It doesn't take long tonget to Ensenada and if the weather is bad on the sea day the captain may just park the ship in the Catalina channel to keep everything calm.

Momarch is older and does have some dings and dents but she has a great crew. The food is just ok but it' a fun way to spend a three day weekend.

My husband and I took our honeymoon on Rhapsody of the Seas, 7 day Caribbean Cruise in Oct. 2006. We had a blast.

We just got back from our 3 day Monarch of the Seas trip yesterday. No lobster, but the food in the dining room was excellent. Same quality as the other RCI ship we were on.

The rooms are a bit smaller, but there are still tons of activities on the ship.

I was on the Monarch a few weeks ago and will be back on next week!

It's a small ship, but I liked it that way. Very cozy and you really felt like you were on a ship, not a floating Vegas strip.

The rooms are SMALL. But again, it's cozy. You just have to go into it with the right attitude.

The food was okay, no lobster though. It felt like there was a lot going on, I never managed to do all the activities I wanted to.

Being a smaller ship, you DO feel the motion much more, particularly on the three-day because the last day is a sea day and the ship is just parked out in the ocean--it isn't moving. So you feel the waves quite a bit.

Overall I thought Monarch was fun and different type of cruise (I had only cruised the Caribbean on 7-day itineraries previously), and I obviously loved it since I am about to get right back on!

Archived