Pride 3/2008 Passage to Portugal Crossing Travelogue

PeaSea8ch

Guess Granny aint in the "select" crowd!! :( Anyone need any unused specially made plaid outfits??:rolleyes:

Let me think back ............ I thought you were persuaded to stay on the Pride for the originally not yet booked crossing, mainly to attend this great party..............? Or am I mistaken?

There is a saying in Holland, in Dutch of course and it goes like this:

"This is breaking my wooden shoe!"

Marja

Guess Granny aint in the "select" crowd!! :( Anyone need any unused specially made plaid outfits??:rolleyes:

There are persons wandering around the ship with WalMart (fold up) rain capes. Watch out if they have what looks like a tie in their hand. You could be about to get a prize.:o

Well we have just returned to our suite from dinner…….and poor Granny is really devastated……. Think I will cry myself to sleep tonight! :(

The Ugly Tie competition was held today……..some other people on the table mentioned it…….but neither us nor “jgn” had been invited………we had both brought ties……

Our little “specially purchased” tie, and “hand made plaid outfits”, sewed by candlelight in the dead of winter, and carried from one end of the World to the other, will be shredded tomorrow……..I just hope I will be able to recover from the rejection eventually!!

Our little “specially purchased” tie, and “hand made plaid outfits”, sewed by candlelight in the dead of winter, and carried from one end of the World to the other, will be shredded tomorrow……..I just hope I will be able to recover from the rejection eventually!!

Why not just have your very own private, combo tied-up plaid party? You could be the winner in both categories! ;)

Well we have just returned to our suite from dinner…….and poor Granny is really devastated……. Think I will cry myself to sleep tonight! :(

The Ugly Tie competition was held today……..some other people on the table mentioned it…….but neither us nor “jgn” had been invited………we had both brought ties……

Sewn with whalebone and catgut no doubt............

Psychiatric Help..........5 cents......... The Doctor is In;)

I'm sure you were missed enormously at both events. Because I'm also sure I already read about your invitations to the highlights of this crossing months ago! The "lady in waiting" is probably still waiting for you both and your invitations have been misplaced. I can't think of another possibility! And you only heard about the events during dinner, not while they were going on? Because normally the whole ship is vibrating during such popular happenings. Where have you been Granny, you haven't been hiding, have you?

Marja

Sounds like you have had a lucky escape. ;)

When I read of the ‘plaid-tie’ debacle I had a great sense of deja vu... a few years ago on Pride’s last 3-day NY cruise a few cc friends and I had the same experience. There we were, loaded down with our gifts and party favors waiting for the big event, but to our astonishment we learned that the festivities had been held without us.

Granny... your sparkle, adventurous spirit and most of all sense of humor make you a role model for us all!;)

Unless someone is celebrating a special occasion, ie..Birthday or anniversary..I think having private parties is redundant. Seabourn does an excellent job of "entertaining" us and to make anyone feel left out is unthinkable. Lola

Unless someone is celebrating a special occasion, ie..Birthday or anniversary..I think having private parties is redundant. Seabourn does an excellent job of "entertaining" us and to make anyone feel left out is unthinkable. Lola

Hi Lola!

The weird thing is however, that Lorraine (Granny) had been invited months ago, she was actually persuaded to extend her cruise by the crossing for this reason.

By the way will you and Don be on the Legend crossing this year?

Marja

Marja..we have never done a crossing. We might like it..but think that other than trivia..we would get tired of seeing nothing but water. I love sea days..but it is fun to see land in the horizon. We will be doing the Silverseas LA to LA trip in November. The last few trips have been so hard travel wise..that Tucson to LA is very inticing. Because of the lack of expensive air travel..we are treating ourselves to the Silver Suite. I see that you too will be on SS this year. It would be fun to sail with you again..would like the opportunity to congratulate you in person on your survival and fun days again. Lola:)

Hi Lola!

The weird thing is however, that Lorraine (Granny) had been invited months ago, she was actually persuaded to extend her cruise by the crossing for this reason.

By the way will you and Don be on the Legend crossing this year?

Marja

We have`nt heard the end of this. Nasty repurcussions (or something like it). Could all end in court, litigation :eek:

Marja..we have never done a crossing. We might like it..but think that other than trivia..we would get tired of seeing nothing but water. I love sea days..but it is fun to see land in the horizon. We will be doing the Silverseas LA to LA trip in November. The last few trips have been so hard travel wise..that Tucson to LA is very inticing. Because of the lack of expensive air travel..we are treating ourselves to the Silver Suite. I see that you too will be on SS this year. It would be fun to sail with you again..would like the opportunity to congratulate you in person on your survival and fun days again. Lola:)

Sorry Lola, I just had a déja vu, I believe I already asked you this question before, about the crossing! I wish you a wonderful silver lined cruise in the Silver Suite (I believe we will be next to that one), but I think we will meet up on Seabourn again one of these days!

Marja

Enjoyed the pictures. Just a question..I had thought that one stairway would be closed and the other left as was..the new concept of the stairway coming down the center...seems to come out into the lounge area quite a bit. Does it cut down very much on the lounge area? Thanks..Lola

Lola,

As you know, outside deck space is a premium on the triplets. Yes, the spiral staircase does occupy some of the deck space on Deck 7. However, I feel that the bonus of the increased Sky Bar area for congregating, drinks, and Sky Grill lunches and dinners while allowing a right of way for the walkers and joggers far outweighs the area on Deck 7 reduced by the companionway. Since the deck space is much greater down on Deck 7, reduced area is not really a factor. To the best of my knowledge, I am not aware of any complaints from passengers as a result of this modification.

I feel this Sky Bar area expansion was the right thing to do and truly enhances the Seabourn experience. The trade-off of reduced deck space on the larger Deck 7 caused by the companionway relocation is a non-issue IMHO.

Ahoy again from the White Pride Castle! King Neptune continues to smile upon Lady Pride with calm seas amidst partly cloudy skies and warm sun. However, King Neptunes’s cousin Mariah has been blowing very brisk and chilly winds producing whitecaps and occasional spray to the Pride’s upper decks.

Based on the whitecaps, I was surprised that the winds did not produce larger swells thereby generating more motion of the ocean. I then realized while doing my deck rounds and observing the flags on the mast, that the wind direction was changing while I walked. With the wind direction changing, that diminishes the chance for larger swells to form and continue to affect the vessel. Hence, in this situation the Pride is “corkscrewing” simultaneously pitching (up and down) and rolling (side to side) and thereby keeping our sea legs in top condition.

I have taken Marja’s advice and have really enjoyed the ever-changing seascape of swells, whitecaps, misty spray and a few glimpses of freighters underneath cloudy skies punctuated by warm sunlight. The decks have been full of sun worshippers while the happy din in the public areas of the ship tells me that the Pride-ite crossers are having a wonderful time onboard! Doing almost nothing on a crossing is very time consuming!

I continue to enjoy the entertainment offerings. Three nights ago, Mandy’s pre-dinner comedy magic show was great and she is a great comedienne. After dinner, Liar’s Club was a scream as it always is on Seabourn. Where do the CDs find those words? Two nights ago, Matt’s show “Hard to Handle” consisting of 50’s and 60”s teen idols was a big hit and very well received. He is a talent and IMHO an “up and comer” for Seabourn. Last night I missed the beginning of flautist Gary’s show due to a leisurely dinner. I find his flute and pennywhistle stylings very soothing and relaxing. I have thoroughly enjoyed the contrasting nature of Michaels’s Hollywood biographer stories and Ambassador Hart’s assessment of the world through the eyes of a diplomat lectures. The Trivia tournament is really spinning up in preparation for the climax of the final round and Jeopardy-style final bonus question!

Oh those lazy, hazy, crazy crossing days. On a Seabourn Yacht, life is good. :)

Thank you for you summary of the deck/staicase change. It simply surprised me, as I had conceived one staircase remaining as was. I can readily see that the upper deck inhancement is a welcome one, and the spiral-staircase is very attractive.

Force yourself to continue to enjoy the facinating sea and entertainments aboard..we are really enjoying it..second-hand. Lola :rolleyes:

Archived