Pride 3/2008 Passage to Portugal Crossing Travelogue

PeaSea8ch

Plaid and ugly tie competitions? We're going on our first Seabourn in November, and this sounds like a Carnival Cruises activity. But then, we probably won't be invited anyway (I hope!).

It won't; it was a one-off. Also, the waitstaff will not don funny hats and sing and dance around the Dining Room. Nor will there be loud enthusiastic exhortations to have fun from any staff. Tasteful frivolity is what it's all about. Trust me.

(There might be some yelling if you happen to be on a banana boat ride, but that is allowed.)

It won't; it was a one-off. Also, the waitstaff will not don funny hats and sing and dance around the Dining Room. Nor will there be loud enthusiastic exhortations to have fun from any staff. Tasteful frivolity is what it's all about. Trust me.

(There might be some yelling if you happen to be on a banana boat ride, but that is allowed.)

Relaxation, good food and service is our goal. Jack

Yes Jane,I agree but it one or two of the passengers that is the problem here. :(

Hi, All.....and thanks, Paul, for the most accurate travelogue. I heard onboard (which I am) about all the rumblings about the Plaid party, and the ugliest tie contest. If anyone knows the lady from Texas and whom Icall "Mr. Big" (JB), then you know we were all invited. One catch, however, is you have to get to the Sky Bar and let everyone know you're here....because the Hearald doesn't allow for scheduling announcements.

This is my first Seabourn cruise, and it has been immensely pleasant, and in no small part, due to some wonderful guests that I would call the "Seabourn family". They welcomed me with open arms. In between the "phooey" I was able to do my favorite thing - just relax with good, new friends , and always with a drink in my hand.

Thanks, again Paul....you're the best. Oh, and Fred, if you're reading...thanks for the best wishes.... Paul told me you "tracked me down"....I will write when I get home.

Great cruise, everyone, with lots of fun and relaxation! Take care, and have some fun today. Jini

March 27, Lady Pride is steaming along with King Neptune’s blessing and cold, brisk winds. The ambient temperature is definitely lower and, coupled with the winds, a sweater or light jacket were required for either being on or walking the decks. This was the last formal night of the crossing and started with the Captain’s Gala Reception where he recapped the cruise and had the available staff parade up on stage to our applause. Chef Markus prepared a wonderful dinner that included my over-the-top favorites: twice baked goat cheese soufflé, lobster bisque, English cut roast beef with Yorkshire pudding and crème brulee en parade. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Next was the maiden performance of Seabourn’s retooled, new and improved Broadway and London West End show tunes. This included new arrangements, and different songs from different shows. It was a big hit and I hope it is expanded to the rest of the fleet.

March 28, we arrived at Funchal on the beautiful island of Madeira. We had an absolutely gorgeous day in Funchal. It was warm and sunny with a cool offshore breeze. We could not have wished for better conditions. Having been here several times before, I opted for a “half day at sea in port.” Most passengers went ashore so the ship felt like a private charter. I went to the Veranda and ordered and savored my “Paa Gjensyn (until we meet again) cheeseburger and fries since the Galley Market Buffet Lunch will be tomorrow, our last day onboard. Many passengers, including myself, did take the Exclusively Seabourn complimentary tour to Reid’s Palace Hotel for a stroll through the finely manicured gardens and afternoon tea. It was elegant and wonderful. The potential sugar high was enormous. However, after overdoing it last November, I was very good and had two cups of tea, two finger sandwiches, one scone with strawberry jam and clotted cream and the smallest chocolate éclair on the service plate.

After a wonderful dinner, Comedy Showtime feature comedian Cary Long, fresh after two recent appearances on the “Tonight Show” with Jay Leno. His routine had us practically rolling on the floor with laughter and applause. Upon returning home to my suite, I found that Helene the swan has a new friend, Buster the cool dog.

Today’s Freeze Frames:

2c6e0db0.jpg

Funchal Harbor 1 of 2

8432a315.jpg

Funchal Harbor 2 of 2

a5434fa7.jpg

Kayak Paddlers

ffabb202.jpg

Sailing Students Being Towed Back To Home Port

cc51c170.jpg

Buster and Helene

Oh those lazy, hazy, crazy crossing days. On a Seabourn Yacht, life is good.:)

Hi, all....

Thanks, Paul for the wonderful photos and updates.

After a long trek, I made it home safely last night. As some of you know, I woke up a day before Lisbon to realize I had booked my flights home for the 29th, instead of the 30th. After much panic, getting ahold of anyone onboard - especially Paul - who could help me, I decided to head to the computer room and try to find another way home....after all, my flight had taken off two hours earlier(!) Fortunately, Expedia came through for me, and I booked an entirely new itinerary for March 30th when we arrived in Lisbon. I emailed my TA, and told her I gave her the wrong date to book, and to see if there was anyway I could retrieve some of the price. I didn't have a clue whether that money for the first flights would be lost. She (TA and best friend) picked me up at the airport, and gleefully announced I would only be charged the "change fee" at Expedia of $100. Phew! They said I could apply the money I paid to another itinerary in the future. Yeah!

All in all, it was a great cruise, with tons of fun. Seabourn came through with my $400 shipboard credit from a referral coupon. I was having so much fun with new friends that I forgot to spend most of it and gave the largest portion to the crew fund. That crew was wonderful!

Paul....thanks, again, for all your work. To the rest of my Seabourn friends - I already miss you! (Nancy.... if you are out there reading, you were so right about the new flight - I really enjoyed it!). To the Seabourn staff and crew - Thanks for a wonderful time! Jini

Jini,

When you're well-rested, will you be posting a more-detailed review (before you jet off to your next cruise:p )? A "first-timer's" perspective is always interesting reading.

Glad you had a good time!

Paul,

Your commentary was excellent - as if it could be anything else! Who won trivia and what was the "grand" prize? And finally, is caviar still "gratis"?

johnny

Hi, Johnny....

I hadn't thought about doing a review, but then, again, being a former journalist, I wouldn't mind posting my thoughts. One of my greatest impressions, you've already mentioned - namely the caviar gratis....it was wonderful - I had it and shared with friends many places on the ship. Talk about luxury! I'd like to plan another Seabourn cruise for 2009. Thanks for your comments, Johnny. Take care, all, and have some fun today. Jini

The final day on any cruise is always depressing since it involves the dreaded four Ps — packing, paperwork, pen pals and Paa Gjensyn (Norwegian for “until we meet again”). The packing is, of course, the most obvious; filling out the end-of-cruise evaluation form; exchanging contact information to stay in touch (as opposed to going to the Sky Bar or the Veranda for fun in the sun and ocean) as pen pals; and saying Paa Gjensyn to old and new friends alike.

It was a nice day but cool with stiff winds while the sea was calmer and the wind direction did not seem to make the ship pitch and roll simultaneously.

Twists and surprises are the norm on the final day of Trivia. After a phenomenal final round, “The Hooligans — the Trivia team formerly known as The Flames,” was in first place at the end of regulation play by a narrow margin of 960 points over our arch rivals and friends “Fried on The Pride.” The final bonus question was on sports (we were not allowed to pick a category for the final question) and a wager of points was required. We assumed that our team and Fried on the Pride would get the bonus question right and bet enough points to best them. However, as luck would have it, no team in the room answered the question correctly.

As CD Tony was going through the final standings, we lost count of the teams and thought that with our 960 remaining points, we won the tournament. We started celebrating as well as any NFL football team in the end zone. When we finished, Tony, a master of the long pause, said “However …” and then announced how the winning team bet a small portion of their total point score to win the tournament. The tournament was ours to loose and we did. This tournament was very pleasant due to not having to be the team captain and the Pride-ite passengers were not as competitive as the Legendary Trivia players. Everyone that participated had a fun-filled time, a real blast. There was no Grand Prize like the much coveted Seabourn Mahogany boxes of the past; lhowever, the daily winner each day received a prize from the standard pool of Seabourn prize gifts (large tote bag, Seabourn pen, leather keychain, leather bookmark, leather sunglasses case, etc.). The tournament winners received a Seabourn fold-up umbrella.

After Trivia, we all went down to the restaurant for the Galley Market Buffet lunch. Always a highlight for me, I marvel at all the hard work the Galley Boyz do for us. It is also nice to see the chefs serve us the fruits of their labors. After lunch, CD Tony brought out Chef Markus and his team to our enthusiastic applause.

With packing complete, it was back to the Sky Bar to visit with friends for the balance of the afternoon and exchange contact information. After drinks and enjoying the tasty Hors d’oeuvres in The Club, it was time for “The Last Supper” at Club entertainers “Superfly’s” hosted dinner table for a most enjoyable evening. The ship was quiet after dinner as the entertainment department had the night off with the exception of Superfly. This year, those of us shipping our luggage home were told to leave our bags in our suite.

Disembarking a Seabourn Yacht is sad, but we had to because the sailors for the next cruise are raring to get aboard for their sailing sojourn! While en-route to collect my passport from ACD Christine, I stopped at the Purser’s Desk to tell them that I had vacated my suite and to notify the Seabourn Luggage Valet fairy. I waited in the Magellan Lounge and visited with Trivia teammates until about 9:20 am when I disembarked the ship. When leaving, I noticed that my and the other DHL shipped luggage was being sequestered in the Card Room. Since it was Sunday, the port agent picked it up and then DHL retrieved the bags from the port agent on Monday afternoon. As I walked to the gangway, I said my final Paa Gjensyns to the staff and officers in the lobby. The security officer scanned me off the ship and did not return my ID card “souvenir” or proof of the voyage. It was a long walk down the gangway for the last time on this crossing. While I was walking to the terminal, I looked back on lady Pride and she looked sad, being devoid of passengers. I know in a few hours she would be bursting with joy, excitement and happiness when the passengers on the next cruise embark and make their special Seabourn memories. I noticed the Captain taking pictures of the ship and he came over, we greeted each other with Paa Gjensyn and shook hands. I then walked through immigration and customs and had my passport stamped and was met by my driver for my all-day customized tour of Lisbon.

After a brief stop at the Lapa Palace Hotel to drop off my rollaboard, laptop bag and to check in, we were off our way. Boasting springtime temperatures during the winter and cool summers freshened by a breeze blowing in from the Atlantic, Costa de Lisboa, on the southwestern coast, offers a rich and impressively integrated diversity. Lisbon has been the capitol of Portugal since its conquest from the Moors in 1147, and is a legendary city with over 20 centuries of history. Lisbon is also known as the city with seven hills and is like San Francisco — hilly with cable cars and their own “Golden Gate Bridge.”

We started driving in the direction of Alfama, the heart of Lisbon during Moorish times. The Moors and Lisbon have moved on, but the neighborhood retains an exotic atmosphere. The Alfama is one of the oldest quarters in Lisbon with very narrow streets. Since it largely survived the earthquake of 1755, the area still retains much of its original layout. Adjacent to the Alfama are the likewise old quarters of Castelo and Mouraria, on the western and northern slopes of the hill that is crowned by St. George’s Castle our next stop. The castle, a former Moorish citadel offers panoramic views of the city (see Freeze Frame below).

Next we ventured to the Cathedral of Lisbon and the oldest church in the city. Since the beginning of construction of the cathedral in the year 1147, the building has been modified several times and survived many earthquakes. It is nowadays a mix of different architectural styles.

Next I visited the Calouste Gulbenkian Museum which houses a unique collection bequeathed to Portugal by a fascinating man. Calouste Gulbenkian was an ethnic Armenian from Turkey; he earned his wealth from a five percent stake in Iraq’s oilfields. He moved to Portugal during World War II, when his role in international affairs compelled him to live in a neutral country. Upon his death, he donated his fortune and his art collection (both of them massive) to Portugal. The items on display range from Egyptian artifacts to art deco glass. Painters represented include Rembrandt, Manet, Renoir and there was also a visiting collection by Lalique. After lunch al fresco on the patio of the museum’s cafeteria, I went over to another building to see the collection of modern art.

After a short drive, we arrived at the Ajuda National Palace; a neoclassical monument built during the 19th century to be a residence for the Kings of Portugal. I was blown away with the art, furniture, rugs, artifacts and the huge hall for state dinners (that diner table was HUGE!) that I spent over an hour viewing the palace. Not far away was the National Coach Museum. The collection of the museum is unique in the world, assembling ceremonial and promenade vehicles from the 17th to 19th centuries, from the Crown’s estate or private property of the Portuguese Royal House. It includes coaches, berlins, carriages, chaises, cabriolets, litters, sedan chairs and children’s buggies making up an excellent quality collection that enables the technical and artistic evolution of animal-drawn carriages used by European courts until the birth of the motor car. I was intrigued by the design details of these fine coaches, especially the larger ceremonial ones. My visit was cut short because I could not go into the main hall where the large coaches were on display because the museum was setting up for a concert in there later in the afternoon. I went up to the second floor and viewed the coaches from the second story balcony around the perimeter of the main hall. Judging by the speed the staff was bringing out and setting up the folding chairs on the first floor, and the fact that it was a Sunday, told me that this is a common occurrence here.

The National Cathedral was the last structure visited. A large structure that has been well maintained was quite interesting, especially the architecture. The choir was singing and that alone was a highlight. After wandering around and taking a few pictures, I then went “across the street” to the Belem Tower area to meet other Pride crossers to wish Lady Pride a Bon Voyage on her next voyage. There were about nine of us. Martita brought flowers so each of us could throw them into the Tagus river to commemorate a lost loved one, others brought wine and plastic cups and I brought the camera. As the ship passed by us, the Captain blew a tune on the ship’s whistle, we waved and cheered, the decks were lined with passengers and I took a few photos. Before we knew it, the Pride had disappeared. It was fun.

The final stop for the day was the Lapa Palace Hotel. I took a power nap, got cleaned up for dinner at the hotel’s highly Zagat rated Italian restaurant. It was an early night as I had to be ready to leave the hotel at 5:45 am to get to the airport in time for my 7:45 am flight to Zurich and on to LAX. Pittsburg and Mrs. Jack: I will update my slideshow of the Lapa Palace with photos of my standard pool / garden view room and post a review of my Italian dinner there soon.

I arrived home safely early Monday evening. Both of my shipped bags, bejeweled with two stickers that said “X-ray” and with two stickers that said “Cleared,” were delivered Friday morning after a trek from Lisbon, Vitoria, Spain, East Midlands, UK, London Heathrow airport (glad it did not go through Terminal 5), LAX, US Customs and finally home. Back to reality: when I walked into work Wednesday morning, the first think my boss said to me “Don’t bother to unpack because Monday you are flying to St. Louis for a week.” Then he said to me “Oh, did you enjoy your vacation?”

This crossing was a magical voyage. The wait staff and crew were absolutely outstanding!! I felt the quality of service and pampering was the best ever. Venus, my suite stewardess, was the best ever not only on Seabourn but all my 30+ cruises. She was so efficient. When she came to introduce herself, she told me that she also had 4 suites up on Deck 5 to take care of as well but if I needed anything, to just call. If I needed anything, I would leave her a not and it was taken care of right away. She even left me two pillow sweets every night!

A ship is only a steel hull but the heart and soul of any ship are the officers and crew that work on her. The triplets all have great heart and soul. The cruise line can do everything in their power (good food, service, ambiance, ports, entertainment) for passengers to have a great time; but in the final analysis it is solely up to the passengers aboard to have a wonderful experience. This crossing had a wonderful passenger mix from different countries and walks of life. We got along, bonded with the crew, had fun and the voyage was a typical “Seabourn family Reunion.” This is the reason for the high rate of repeaters on the crossings and why Seabourn is so highly regarded by the passengers. If anyone is still awake after reading this marathon post, I will end it now.

Farewell Freeze Frames:

PICT0822.jpg

End Of A Wonderful Voyage

PICT0831.jpg

“Old” And “New” Lisbon

PICT0843.jpg

My Favorite Lisbon Photo Op — Eduardo VII Park

6ce3b7ff.jpg

Here Comes The Pride …

116c2afc.jpg

There Goes The Pride …

Oh those lazy, hazy, crazy crossing days. On a Seabourn Yacht, life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Click on the links below to view my crossing slideshow or slideshow movie. Higher resolution slideshow in movie format are available for downloading at My Downloads by clicking on the link below my cruise countdown clock.

Feel free to view my other slideshow or slideshow movies by clicking on the “My Gallery” link in the Navigation Bar at the upper left-hand corner of the page. Enjoy the armchair voyage!

Slideshow: http://gallery.mac.com/deckwalker#100141

Movie: http://gallery.mac.com/deckwalker#100155

Oh those lazy, hazy, crazy crossing days. On a Seabourn Yacht, life is good. :)

Peachy

"Kudos" and thanks for posting your excellant photos!

All's quite on the Lone Range ~~deer and antelope playing! I am missing my Seabourn family, however. Have had e-mails from the Pride Castle which has made me more melancholy.

I was so pleased to see so many repeater's on the Pride Crossing ~~

Some I had no idea would be joining us ~~what a happy family reunion. Many booked next year's Pride TA Cross.

I thought the food, ( applause for Cheffy's Markus and Lambrechts)

service and entertainment was better than ever. I congratulated Scotty (heads our Seabourn entertainment dept.) on his never ending excellence in finding superb entertainers.

Thanks again for posting your photos.

Hoping all is going well in St Louis.

MB

Archived