How is the Holiday Inn San Pedro?

vossjemi

Ok, we need a pre-cruise hotel in San Pedro. Going Disney cruise 8/3. I've read lots about the crowne plaza and doubletree here. I guess 8/2 is a busy time because the crowne only lists suites for something like $1000/night. The doubletree was $159ish if I remember right. The Holiday Inn was $90. I've read about the great priceline rates, but our problem is we have 4 people (2a/2k) and want 2 beds so my understanding is we can't do priceline as they'll only guar 1 bed.

So, if we book the holiday inn, has anyone stayed there? How was it? Is there anywhere close to walk for dinner? Walk for cruise necessities (like water/soda to bring onboard)? Do they have shuttle service from either the lax to the hotel or hotel to the port? Or do we need to arrange all our transportation separately? Thanks.

p.s. If there are any other nearby hotels you'd recommend, let me know. Thanks!

The Holiday Inn is clean and comfortable. It is located on a busy commericial interestion in San Pedro. The hotel itself has a good restaurant. There is a McDonald's and a sushi restaurant nearby that you are within walking distance. There are many other cafes and restaurants that I can recommend if you have the time and have a car.

Holiday Inn has a shuttle that will take you to the L.A.Harbor/San Pedro cruise terminal. It's five minutes away.

If departing from San Pedro, it is a worthy hotel. You might want to try Hotwire as well as Priceline for the other hotels I would recommend. They are the three-star Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree.

Thanks Andrea and Melissa. We don't plan to get a car, so it sounds like our choices are the hotel, McDonald's and a sushi place for dinner/breakfast? Is there a walgreens or something similar close by to purchase water/soda & anything forgotten for the cruise? Can't wait to hear your report Melissa. Unfortunately, I don't think we can use priceline or hotwire for the other hotels because we are a family of 4...correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is they will only guar 1 bed if we use one of those booking agents. So, its either pay full price at CP/DT or go cheaper at the Holiday Inn.

Stayed at the HI in January - mainly for the same reasons you are. Ask for a quiet room. We were upgraded to a suite, which had lots of room and served us well. We were a group of nine traveling together and had 4 different rooms, so the suite provided us a place we could all get together comfortably, but it was facing the main street and a bit loud.

If walking is not an issue, there are plenty of places around to buy water, soda, etc. There is a large drug store about 2 or 3 blocks away. There are other stores that sell these items also - couple of liquor stores across the street. There are a other options for meals -- especially if you like to walk. If not you can order in - we did pizza and beer one night - or take a cab. The nicer restaurants are not that far so a cab ride would not be much. From memory, Starbucks, sporting goods store, shoe store are a couple of other stores that are within a couple of blocks.

I would avoid the hotel restaurant. It was the worst meal and the worst service I've ever had -- and I mean the worst. My mother tried it again for breakfast one morning -- no redemption there.

There is a shuttle to the pier - I think they charge 5.00 - had a Priority Rewards Card so it was free. Book the shuttle when you check in.

Thanks cjpj! We have a priority rewards card, so we should be free then on the shuttle. No problems walking a few blocks for either eating or to pick up necessaries. We don't want to hire a taxi if possible. Our flight gets into LAX at 4:20pm, so we won't even get to hotel until 6pmish is my guess. Are there any breakfast restaurants within walking distance? What other kinds of restaurants for dinner are within a few blocks? (We don't have probs walking, but since we do have kids, I just want to make sure we aren't crossing major thoroughfares, etc...and have room to actually walk for safety reasons)

Thanks cjpj! We have a priority rewards card, so we should be free then on the shuttle. No problems walking a few blocks for either eating or to pick up necessaries. We don't want to hire a taxi if possible. Our flight gets into LAX at 4:20pm, so we won't even get to hotel until 6pmish is my guess. Are there any breakfast restaurants within walking distance? What other kinds of restaurants for dinner are within a few blocks? (We don't have probs walking, but since we do have kids, I just want to make sure we aren't crossing major thoroughfares, etc...and have room to actually walk for safety reasons)

Gaffey Street Diner for breakfast is fantastic and only a few blocks to the north of the HI. Be prepared to wait a bit...it is a VERY popular restaurant. For dinner? Mostly fast food, Burger King, McDonalds, Taco Bell. Sushi 21 (Japanese Restaurant) is good and right next to the Vagabond Inn. If you walk down to 6th street there is a Chinese place and Baja Fish.

I wanted to try the Whale and Ale -- sounded fun, but we never made it - http://whaleandale.com/ . We did have pizza from Niko's and it was very good. Check out this link for restaurants and other attractions in San Pedro http://www.1stthursday.com/index.htm . We also went to a seafood place - 22nd Street Landing was the name if my memory is correct. You can reach it by taking the electric train and then there is a shuttle bus that tours the park are and he will take you and pick you up.

You can walk all over the area from the hotel to the port and the restaurants with out having to cross any freeways. There are a few busier roads, but there are crossings with lights.

I quite enjoyed San Pedro. It is a little run down old port area that is undergoing revitalization. There are neat little shops, galleries and restaurants to be found.

For a wider selection I would definitely say go downtown but since you are staying at the Holiday Inn, have kids and walking, it may be more than you want to take on. If not, it's 5 blocks to 6th, two blocks from Gaffey and you are downtown. There are numerous choices down here so if you want, give us a call (PM for number) when you are in town and we will help you any way we can.

• 1 month later...
We'll be staying there next week before our cruise. I'll let you know how it goes. We are renting a car at LAX and dropping it in San Pedro. Enterprise will give us a lift to the ship from there (it is only minutes away).

One week to go! :D

So, how was it?

we stayed at the vagabond and wished we had stayed at the holiday inn instead:o ..we got a great price at the vagabond..but, we did get what we paid for..

the sushi restraunt was very good as well..and in the middle of the night

we did Mac too..

i did nt see walgreens or longs close by..but across the street from the

holiday in is a Quick Stop you can load up on muchies to take aboard..

• 2 weeks later...

we have not stayed at the HI before but if you end up at the doubletree I think you will be very happy...$159 is a great rate...the hotel is nice, rooms are very clean, the staff is great and the location is nice...breakfast is usually included as well

We just booked Mariner for 2009 today.

It may be a year away, but I have already started my "pre-cruise" planning - LOL!

Curious -- how do you get from LAX to San Pedro?

Cab?

Shuttle?

Rental Car?

You know planning is just all part of the fun!

When we priced flights, it was more expensive for us to fly into long beach and we had several connections. Since we have 2 kids, ages 6 and 8, we prefer nonstop if we can get it.

We too are looking into transport...haven't got it all figured out yet, but I've read taxi is the most expensive way to do it. I'm going to get quotes from a couple shuttle companies I guess and see what I come up with.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, we need a pre-cruise hotel in San Pedro. Going Disney cruise 8/3. I've read lots about the crowne plaza and doubletree here. I guess 8/2 is a busy time because the crowne only lists suites for something like $1000/night. The doubletree was $159ish if I remember right. The Holiday Inn was $90. I've read about the great priceline rates, but our problem is we have 4 people (2a/2k) and want 2 beds so my understanding is we can't do priceline as they'll only guar 1 bed.

So, if we book the holiday inn, has anyone stayed there? How was it? Is there anywhere close to walk for dinner? Walk for cruise necessities (like water/soda to bring onboard)? Do they have shuttle service from either the lax to the hotel or hotel to the port? Or do we need to arrange all our transportation separately? Thanks.

p.s. If there are any other nearby hotels you'd recommend, let me know. Thanks!

The Holiday Inn was very nice. It actually had some character to it. It has a small pool and hot tub that I enjoyed - even tho the weather was in the 60's. Being from MN I guess makes me tough. LOL Even tho you aren't renting a car, the dropoff for Enterprise was only a few blocks away and they had a shuttle to the ship which saved on Taxi fare. There is a Hawaiian barbque place near the hotel that was really good for take-out.

We really enjoyed it. Sorry I forgot to post this before. I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Thanks Melissa! Am glad to hear your stay went well! The shuttle you mention..is that enterprise's shuttle or HI's shuttle? A previous poster mentioned the HI shuttle is free if you have a priority rewards card. True?

If you do rent a car, double make sure with the local office that they will be open on the day you intend to return the car (or that they will have a drop off place available). It seems Enterprise has changed their hours in the past, and you don't want to get a nasty surprise in August.

Archived