Question on Port Fees

kessieann

We found out that we are going to be entitled to a free berth due to the large group we have and the number of cabins we have booked.

What I am wondering is how I can find out what the true value of this would be? The amount that we have been credited is about $700 less then what our TA said the cabin cost was. When I asked about the difference I was told that the difference is because we don't get credited for port fees.

We have never received an itemized bill so I am wondering if the port fees are really that much? It just sounds odd to me that the fees would be so close to the cost of the actual cruise?

Since this is my first time cruising I am not familiar with the port fees. Can anyone tell me if this sounds right? We are cruising to the Mediterranean for 7 nights and 5 ports not including the one we leave from and arrive back at.

It does sound a bit off. There are port charges and government taxes that you will have to pay. port charges do vary by the ports visited but typically i wouldn't expect these to exceed $300 for a 7 day Med cruise with government taxes in $100 range. You should ask yout TA for an accounting. They can provide it. There may also be a sales commission to the TA that might be reasonable for the work they have done on your individual booking notwithstanding the cruise line has provided a free cabin for the group booking. You shouldn't feel hesitant to get the breakdown from your TA.

Port fees are included in the price you see on the cruise sites. They typically run a little over $50 per person, per port if you need to figure them out a little closer. They generally call this the non commissiable part of the cruise fare.

I've never had problems finding out how much the actual port fees/taxes were. For example, on my current cruise, I can go on Princess' website and they list that on the bottom of my booking receipt (not my TA's receipt but Princess')

Shoudn't be that hard. You could also go online or to their website and act like you are booking acruise and when the pricing comes up it will list the fees as well.

We found out that we are going to be entitled to a free berth due to the large group we have and the number of cabins we have booked.

What I am wondering is how I can find out what the true value of this would be? The amount that we have been credited is about $700 less then what our TA said the cabin cost was. When I asked about the difference I was told that the difference is because we don't get credited for port fees.

We have never received an itemized bill so I am wondering if the port fees are really that much? It just sounds odd to me that the fees would be so close to the cost of the actual cruise?

Since this is my first time cruising I am not familiar with the port fees. Can anyone tell me if this sounds right? We are cruising to the Mediterranean for 7 nights and 5 ports not including the one we leave from and arrive back at.

You mention in your opening line that you get a free "berth". Generally a berth means a bed in a stateroom. With a very large group, you should get a stateroom for two people. This all sounds odd to me. I would definitely call the cruiseline or check on the website to find out the port fees and taxes. You would probably have to pay those taxes too. You TA isn't being very helpful and I'd call her on that. She should be providing a service for you, not leaving you confused.

Archived