7 nights to Spare: 7 night Disney Western or 7 night NCL Hawaiian

intotheoh

Ok so here is what we're thinking:

I know that these cruises are not apples to apples by any stretch of the imagination. My wife and I have 7 free days to use up in 08 and we're considering a cruise. We are looking at NCL interisland Hawaii on Pride of America or a Western on Disney Magic.

We have only ever cruised on Disney (1 three night and 1 4 night on wonder) and love the line, but we've never been to Hawaii and feel that NCL interisland would be the perfect way to experience it.

The pricing is nearly identical for the times we're looking at.

The root of this post is simple - for those of you who have been on NCL, is it any good in terms of service and "show readiness" of the boat? Would I be disappointed in the level of service after only being on Disney?

Any other thoughts?

know your answer but will be able to tell you in June, if you can wait that long :) My mother loved all the Pride ships (she lives in Hawaii) and has sailed Disney 2x and loved it for other reasons.

We can't wait to go.

We sailed NCL Wind around Hawaii and onto Fanning Island in 2005. It was a 10 night cruise. The pluses were definitely the time on the islands. Hawaii is gorgeous and I loved being able to see a little bit of each island--I felt as though we hit the highlights and saw most of what we really wanted to. I felt it was an excellent way to get a taste of Hawaii. As to NCL, we were not on one of the American staffed ships, and were also on an older ship. The entertainment was not like DCL (obviously). I did enjoy the live band which performed for the production shows, and was really amazed at what could be produced in a relatively small space. The comedians were pretty funny. I despised one show "the vocal stylings of someone" I'm sure my 83 year old grandmother would have enjoyed it!

I was pleasantly surprised by the food-- I enjoyed most of my meals, and thought that freestyle dining worked well for us, even though the ship wasn't built for freestyle--we usually ate early, since we're east coasters, and rarely waited more than 10 minutes or so. We also got to decide if we wanted to eat by ourselves, or share a table.

The ship was older, but in decent repair. I think the ships you would be going on are much newer, but have much smaller rooms than on DCL.

I would be torn, because I love cruising DCL, but I also enjoyed cruising Hawaii.

Ok so here is what we're thinking:

I know that these cruises are not apples to apples by any stretch of the imagination. My wife and I have 7 free days to use up in 08 and we're considering a cruise. We are looking at NCL interisland Hawaii on Pride of America or a Western on Disney Magic.

We have only ever cruised on Disney (1 three night and 1 4 night on wonder) and love the line, but we've never been to Hawaii and feel that NCL interisland would be the perfect way to experience it.

The pricing is nearly identical for the times we're looking at.

The root of this post is simple - for those of you who have been on NCL, is it any good in terms of service and "show readiness" of the boat? Would I be disappointed in the level of service after only being on Disney?

Any other thoughts?

Obviously the Disney Cruise will be far superior to the NCL cruise.

My parents just returned from taking the Pride of America around the Hawaiian Islands last week. They had a fantastic time. They said the food was good everywhere they ate, the ship was beautiful, etc. They seemed to especially enjoy the American kids that made up the crew. Apparently they spoiled my parents rotten! Given the choice between the Western on the nicest ship and Hawaii on a rowboat I'd still choose to go to Hawaii over the Western!

Cheryl

Well you guys are no help! Just kidding.

Did a bit of cost analysis and although the cruise cost is within 100 dollars of each other for balcony rooms, the Disney room is substantially bigger. Couple that with the fact that we can stay with family in Orlando, and the cost of flights presently are cheaper to MCO, I came up with a nearly 1000 dollar differential

I also read several negative reviews about NCL Pride of America. Although I tend to ignore overly negative reviews, when the same issue appears in 10-20 reviews...lets just say it has a ring of truth to it.

So I think Disney it is.

not - it is really up to you and your family as to what makes the most sense. I see you are from the Bay area - I hate the long flight to Florida although I do it at least once a year to visit the World! I am looking forward to my Hawaiian adventure and maybe - when the new ships set sail I will be back to Disney.

Lisa

In 2004, I was on the NCL Pride of Aloha, the P of America wasn't ready for the cruise. It was my first cruise. The best part of the cruise was visiting the islands and taking part in the NCL shore excursions. I wasn't interested in planning my own time and what a great way to see Hawaii and learn about the Islands. I thought the food in the Dining rooms was great, the buffets were nothing special, but OK. The ship was clean, the staff was friendly and the entertainment was fun. I don't think that I would ever be interested in going to Hawaii and just staying on 1 island. I wouldn't hesitate to go back for another cruise, but decided I wanted to see other places first.

I hate to say it, but if you haven't been to Hawaii before I woud suggest choosing one or two islands and skipping the cruise. Each island has unique treasures, and has far more than you could experience in the few hours a ship is in port.

The only way I would suggest a cruise for a first time visit to Hawaii is for somebody who just isn't capable of choosing an island. And I recommend against the all inclusive resorts - you will miss too much of the island if you just hide out in the few acres of an all inclusive.

My personal favorite is the big island. I like to spend a night on the volcano with a telescope, a few mornings and nights diving in Kona with afternoons enjoying topside activities, and a 2-3 day drive around the island. Seeing lava flow into the ocean from a cruise ship isn't much different than watching it from a helicopter. But walking onto new land, feeling the heat through your shoes, and seeing some of the bottom of your shoes left behind when you walk away after dipping your walking stick into molten lava is a far better experience.

Archived