Wine Limits

NW Pacific

I know this subject has been OVERLY asked but I have about 10 other people scheduled on our Alaska cruise who think I have the time to find out (which I do) and report back to them. We are on the Pearl, how many bottles of wine and does the size of the bottle play a factor, can you bring on board, paying the $15.00 corkage fee? Is there anywhere on NCL's site or brochures that outline this "policy" or is it kind of hidden information? Hopefuly soneday I will have good answers for other members.:o

I know this subject has been OVERLY asked but I have about 10 other people scheduled on our Alaska cruise who think I have the time to find out (which I do) and report back to them. We are on the Pearl, how many bottles of wine and does the size of the bottle play a factor, can you bring on board, paying the $15.00 corkage fee? Is there anywhere on NCL's site or brochures that outline this "policy" or is it kind of hidden information? Hopefuly soneday I will have good answers for other members.:o

Generally, the number of bottles is entirely up to you, as the charge is $15 per bottle. The charge assumes a normal size bottle of wine. If you bring a huge magnum type bottle your charges may vary, but usually its simply $15 PER BOTTLE.

As a side note, when you add $15 to the land price of a decent bottle of wine you bring along, you tend to be within a couple of dollars of the the ship price for the same wine or equivalent.

As a side note, when you add $15 to the land price of a decent bottle of wine you bring along, you tend to be within a couple of dollars of the the ship price for the same wine or equivalent.

Agree with Cliff that NCL tends to price their wines very reasonably when compared to most land-based restaurants.

Here is a copy of the 2007 wine list on all ships. Prices have not changed much. In fact, some of them have gone down. Cheers !

Bring as many as you want! While I agree that some of the wine prices with the added $15 corkage approaches "land prices", if there are certain wine you really love.....take them along. Reasonable wine list is limited. Drink up!:D

EXACTLY!

A bottle of Coppola Claret is $16 at my local grocery store. Add the $15 corkage charge you are up to $31.

NCL sells the same exact wine for $34.

Not to say this works with all wine...but I would guess it is pretty consistent for many.

For me....its not worth it to go to the trouble to transport wine to save $3.

Don't forget to add the service charge. Still for $3-6 bucks, it is just not worth dragging the wine all over the place. Just like I do not drag a bottle of wine to the restaurant when we go out - not that they would let me anyways.

If just one bottle breaks, you not only have lost any monetary gain, but you now have a mess in your suitcase to deal with.

I wouldn't try to bring wine in my suitcase... DUMB! I use a Wine Enthusiast padded 12 bottle carrier on wheels. Last trip out of NY on Gem, porter dropped it (fully loaded) from the back of my SUV to the pavement (not a drop lost). Easy to take aboard & easy to have "paid" stickers put on each bottle. Enjoy your wine!:D

;)

I scrutinized the NCL wine list very carefully, but I couldn't find Charles Shaw (aka 2 buck chuck)!

:D :D

If you find it reasonable in your future to pay $17 a bottle (with the fee) for THAT stuff, then by all means do so... but forgive me if I don't ask you to share a glass with me ;)

Generally, the number of bottles is entirely up to you, as the charge is $15 per bottle. The charge assumes a normal size bottle of wine. If you bring a huge magnum type bottle your charges may vary, but usually its simply $15 PER BOTTLE.

That depends on ones idea of good wine, some like a 20$ bottle then yes it makes it a 35$ bottle.

Yet if one has a 60$ bottle then to pay the 15$ to drink a special bottle is money well spent. If you want to bring aboard less costly wine that is one thing. If you have a special bottle it is well worth a corkage charge. Me and my DH, BYO to the best restaurants knowing that the mark-up at a restaurant is always at least 100%. Sorry were are in the wine biz and I had to put my 2 cents in to save all those that care a few dollars. If you have wine you adore bring it. If you want to drink jug wine why bother lugging it?:D Totaly MHO!!!

If you find it reasonable in your future to pay $17 a bottle (with the fee) for THAT stuff, then by all means do so... but forgive me if I don't ask you to share a glass with me ;)

ABC news and other media in 2007 reported that " 2 buck chuck "in a blind beat out some rather expensive wines. I find it very interesting that when labels are covered up and prices unknown which wines are picked as favorites. Have your own wine tasting party and see how expensive your top picks are!

I am so glad that I do not like wine. Geez, it must be the most addictive alcoholic beverage in the world from reading these boards. I wonder how many people would refuse to cruise if they couldnt drink wine on the ship?

Per NCL service representative you are allowed to carry on 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. You will pay a $15 corkage fee per bottle.

As has been repeated over and over on these boards. Call NCL and get one answer, call again and get another. In reality, the folks that are here seem to have better answers. Answers I would trust more than calling into NCL customer service.

As to the question - Would I sail if I could not drink wine. Nope!

My drink of choice is champagne, and according to the wine list Vueve goes for $76 a bottle, don't know if the 15% grat is included, but we'll say it's not, I pay $41 to $42 a bottle add the $15 corkage fee and that makes it $56 to $57 a bottle if I bring it with me. That's a savings of about $20 a bottle. Same with the White Star I can save $16 per bottle if bring it with me and pay the corkage fee. I don't know about you but that will add up over the week;) :D

My drink of choice is champagne, and according to the wine list Vueve goes for $76 a bottle, don't know if the 15% grat is included, but we'll say it's not, I pay $41 to $42 a bottle add the $15 corkage fee and that makes it $56 to $57 a bottle if I bring it with me. That's a savings of about $20 a bottle. Same with the White Star I can save $16 per bottle if bring it with me and pay the corkage fee. I don't know about you but that will add up over the week;) :D

I totally agree! Champagne is our drink of choice also...and I have calculated the saving too. We will bring our Champagne with us, as we have done on all of our previous cruises. We are not cheap, or trying to get something by on the cruiseline.....but just because they charge $76 a bottle and can get that from some folks, doesnt make it right to charge such exorbinate fees. Also, as you stated, there is nothing wrong with bringing a fine wine that is your favorite, to a resturant and paying a corkage fee. I think some OP are unaware that this is common practice. ;)

Wow, I started this post and am impressed with the numerous replies, thank you. I did call NCL and the reply was $15.00 per bottle no limit for amount or size. But I was told that they take the bottles upon check in and you have to "call" for them, and then the corkage fee is applied. I have read here and have friends that cruised NCL and thought they put a sticker or whatever on the bottles at boarding and you could take them with you to your room? We are in the class of wine drinkers that buying our favorite on sale at home and adding the $15.00 we would save even on the least expensive wine of the above wine list provided from NCL. I did not know about an extra $3.00-$4.00 service fee on top of the $15.00?? I have passed your info onto the numerous people going on our cruise and they can make their own decisions, thanks to everyone once again for replying. I am sure I will have more questions before sailing, we are on the Pearl (Alaskan Cruise) departing Seattle July 20th. Now just have to work on getting a bar setup!

I agree! In some cases, you get what you pay for.

ABC news and other media in 2007 reported that " 2 buck chuck "in a blind beat out some rather expensive wines. I find it very interesting that when labels are covered up and prices unknown which wines are picked as favorites. Have your own wine tasting party and see how expensive your top picks are!

Yeah, that might be the case, but "Two Buck Chuck" is for me swill in a bottle. I'd rather have no wine than that. Yes, I have tried it because I don't tend to judge a wine until I've actually tasted it. You bet your booty we could tell that from even the basic table wines produced locally.

I do agree that price is not at all always an indicator of quality. There are some $10 to $20 bottles that are a real steal; there are many expensive wines that are for me crappy. I don't buy for "the label" or "status" of a wine. Still, any wine that can be produced, bottled, and sold for $2 is not a wine for me. OTOH, we're spoiled because we live in one of CA's premier wine regions and have access to all kinds of wonderful wine and often at outstanding prices. When some of the larger wineries want to "offload" a previous vintage of certain wines, they'll sell it just over cost to our local large grocery stores. We can often buy a bottle of decent wine that retails for $15 elsewhere and $11 here for $6 on "clearance" (so to speak).

beachchick

We are in the class of wine drinkers that buying our favorite on sale at home and adding the $15.00 we would save even on the least expensive wine of the above wine list provided from NCL. I did not know about an extra $3.00-$4.00 service fee on top of the $15.00?? Now just have to work on getting a bar setup!

The $15.00 is a flat fee. $3.00 is your bar setup fee!

The $76.00 champagne is before tip.

Archived