Too young for Ryndam to Alaska?

elusion

Love the Ryndam itinerary and the fact that it departs midweek so there are fewer ships in port when we do dock. Only worried about the fact that it's more mature crowd. Will be traveling with my mum(54) and myself(23). Mom's done a 14-day SE Asia on Oceania and I feel it'll be the same atmosphere. She didn't mind it, but we've done Costa together and it was fun! I just got off a RCCL caribbean cruise and that was fun as well.

Opinions??

We did the Statdemdam from Vacover to Sitka a few years back... I was 17 at the time...and there were only 3 teenages on the ship, myself included... and most people were older than 45 on the ship... there was no disco, no kerokee, no 'night life' and I didn't like it...

but they say Alaska cruises are like that... I'm not a 'party all day/night' person, but I do like some nightlife...

but that's me...so it depends on what you like.

If ever there were a "ship is the destination" person, it is I. Except in Alaska. In Alaska the destination is the state itself. There are ports to enjoy, and even on sea days it's important to be up early to drink in all that scenery.

This means full days and early nights. The activities aboard---both day and evening---take a back seat to all that is Alaska.

Unless you're going absolutely alone, and have a difficult time meeting others, then I suggest you and Mum take the cruise.

The Alaskan cruises do tend to attract a more "mature" crowd, which has always puzzled me some. There are loads are shore excursions available that involve moderate to strenuous activity. Some people who wait until they're older (and possibly suffering from a condition or ailments that limits their mobility), aren't able to take full advantage of all that Alaska has to offer.

I say go for it, and enjoy Alaska with you Mum.

Roz

My first Alaska cruise was with my Mom on the Ryndam - now I can't imagine going there on any other line. I will admit, as my mom usually retired early, it was me and the chorus boys at the bar after 10:30 -- but that wasn't so bad! :p

Go. You'll have a wonderful time!

Archived