Vancouver to Sea-Tac -- Motorcoach or Rental Car??

sfbaycruiser

With the ship arriving at 10 AM at Vancouver and our flight home leaving Seattle airport at 6 PM is there an advantage to using the cruiseline motorcoach transfer over renting a car and driving. I'm seriously allergic to buses but my main concern is a traffic jam at the border crossing and missing our flight. If there is a jam can the motorcoach get you through quicker than an individual car (express lane, commercial lane or equivalent)? I was just checking google earth for the directions and to see if there was anything worthy of sightseeing along the way and in the satellite image noticed the like mile long ( I measured it....I love google earth) traffic jam crossing into the US.

Thanks Bunches!!

D

Hello,

We took the bus in August of 2007, from Vancouver to SEATAC, and at $50.00 per person, it was an excellent and cost effective way to go directly to SEATAC. We purchased the bus tickets on HAL's Volendam.

The bus stops at the border and there are delays but this should not be worrisome to you, because the bus drops you right at the flight departures area of SEATAC. The time of travel between Seattle and Vancouver is about three hours or so, so you will have plenty of time to make a 6 PM flight. Anthony's at SEATAC is a very nice and surprisingly reasonable restaurant in terms of cost.

I considered renting a car but decided to use the bus because the bus was easier all around, even if the bus was slightly more in terms of cost.

I would, however, rent a car if we fly to Seattle prior to our cruise out of Vancouver. We have done this and a car gives you the flexibility to save on hotels, restaurants, and allows you to see the wonderful sights of the Northwest, both in the Seattle area and Canada.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

When we left from Vancouver, we drove from Seattle- but had others on the cruise took the train- and enjoyed it completely- so you might check out the train schedule. Ruth

Amtrak only operates one train in either direction daily and the south bound train leaves Vancouver at 6pm so that does not seem to be an option for you. They have other departures but they are buses.

So you are likely into renting a car and droping it at Seatac. That certainly is not a problem and for Americans it is not an issue if the car is plated in Canada or the US. Your trip from Vancouver to Seatac should take about 5 to 5 1/2 hrs allowing for a 2 hr wait at the border and some construction and traffic thru Seattle (likely will be about 4 1/2 hrs so there is a fudge factor built in for you). So your 6 pm flight should be very doable.

Are you even allowed to take a Canadian rental car into the US for dropoff?

We rented a car at the pier in Vancouver and drove to Sea-Tac. No problem.

We did have a LONG wait at the border crossing.

We were the last group off the ship so that may have lead to longer traffic problems later. If I could do it over, I would try to get off the ship earlier to avoid traffic delays. Even with the delays, I think we got to Seattle by 4 or 5 pm.

hi we flew into seattle and continued thru to vancouver thru Amtrak which was more comfortable,,,, and wasnt expensive,, check out there website

comming home from vancouver we choose the bus , terrible delay and everyone on bus had to take all there luggage off the bus themselves and wait for everyone to clear the customs there , it was a pain

at least on amtrak we never saw customs at all

good luck

I recently faced this dilemma when planning an upcoming trip. I finally decided to just book a flight from YVR back to SEA because it looked like traveling by land would have otherwise made a very long day of it.

But - WOW!! - the TAXES on that flight! :-(

I recently faced this dilemma when planning an upcoming trip. I finally decided to just book a flight from YVR back to SEA because it looked like traveling by land would have otherwise made a very long day of it.

But - WOW!! - the TAXES on that flight! :-(

Yes the taxes are rediculous but that is because you are paying to sets of taxes and fees, one for Canada and the other for the US. It is a shame that the 2 countries can't harmonize this in some manner....yes I also dream in technicolor.

As others have said, renting a car in Canada and dropping it off in the US isn't a problem. If you go that route:

There are actually 2 border crossings very near each other - the main one is the Peace Arch, and is extremely straightforward - once you're across you're on the I-5 until Sea-Tac. BUT the lines can be extremely long. A 5 minute drive down the road is the Pacific Hwy Crossing (also known as the Truck Crossing), which is open to all vehicles. The turn off is well marked, as is the direct road to the I-5 on the other side - it probably adds about 10 minutes to your drive, but can save over an hour (sometimes a lot more) in wait times. Just prior to the turn off is an overhead sign with approximate wait times for both crossings.

As well, there is a local radio station - AM 1130, which gives traffic updates every 10 minutes, so you can find out ahead of time what the wait is like. This sounds complicated, but it isn't - it's very well marked.

A good map with signage and more info can be found here: http://www3.telus.net/bcpl8s/border.htm

Me again!

The line at the border depends a lot on day of week and time of day as well - Friday afternoons being exceptionally bad. Often there's only a 15 minute wait, though I've had long weekend and holiday waits of several hours. Something to bear in mind. I'm across very regularly, so feel free to ask more specific questions!

Hello,

The bus or to use the fancier term "motor coach" is really the best option for those who are going between the SEATAC and Vancouver's cruise terminals or vice versa.

Renting a car is doable but there are variables that all should know about, beginning with I - 5's always heavy traffic through Seattle and suburbs. Delays at the border is another, and another variable is dropping the rental car off in Vancouver and then making your way to the cruise terminal. The Avis shuttle for example did not begin until 1 PM so my wife and I walked (with our luggage in the rain from the Avis office to Canada Place. It was fun because it very rarely ever rains in the summer in Southern California.

Fred

Whimseygirl,

We'll be doing the trip back and forth in May....both times on a Saturday. Based on some reading I've done, I was planning on crossing at Sumas, and then taking Provincial Route 1 on up to the Pan Pacific Hotel to drop the car off at Alamo.

Have you tried this route?

Thanks in advance....

Joe

Hi:

I have been checking out renting a car at YVR and dropping at SEATAC but the drop off fee is huge ....... like almost $300 in one case and that is on top of the one day's car hire!

Usually DH and I drive our own car and park it for between $7 - $10 per day.

What drop off fees have others experienced - I'm wondering if there is a deal out there I don't know about.

Thanks.

Joe

I've crossed at all 4 of the west most crossings more times than I could count! My in-laws live near Sumas, so we use that crossing fairly frequently. It is a longer drive each way, but usually has shorter lines as well. If there is an accident on Hwy 1, though, it can hold all traffic up, and that happens with some regularity, mostly on weekends. The radio station I mentioned covers all 4 crossings, as well as general Lower Mainland (Vancouver and surrounding areas) traffic, though sometimes not every 10 minutes - if there's a lot of traffic news they might focus on ferry traffic one broadcast and border the next.

If I'm understanding correctly, you'd be driving both directions, one week apart? Coming north, you can usually pick the radio station up in Seattle or just north of it, and if you have a back up plan - I'd make and print out maps from mapquest or something similar -you could make an adjustment if you need to. The route to Sumas is more country roads, and therefore a slower speed limit, and a longer drive in general, but most direct on the Canadian side. If you're thinking of going that route, you could cross at Lynden/Aldergrove instead. It's almost always the shortest of wait times, and is a shorter drive into Vancouver as well. It's quite straightforward to get onto Hwy 1. They're only open from 8:am to midnight, but that sounds like it fits your travel time. It's my personal first choice, but since it's a bit further east I didn't suggest it originally.

Another thing to keep in mind, which I'd forgotten, is that there is highway construction on the US side of the Pacific Truck Crossing right now, which adds a bit more time going north. You might decide to go one route north and another south...there's different stuff to see, though much of it is farmland!

Traveling on a Saturday is usually pretty fair - people going away for the weekend tend to head out Friday nights and back Sundays, so they're the worst times to cross the border, or take a ferry to Vancouver Island, for that matter. Of course there's always the possibility of an event, game, concert or something going on, but that usually isn't a big problem. You should know, however, that Monday, May 19 is a holiday in BC so if that is one of your travel weekends, traffic likely will be slightly heavier in Vancouver and southbound at the border. Again,, most travel will be before and after the Saturday, so it's really a small concern.

It sounds like you have a solid idea of routes and so on, so I'm confident you'll be fine any route you take! Sorry for the lengthy response - I tend to babble on! :D But if you don't mind the loquaciousness, feel free to ask if you need more info!

MAXII

I've rented in Mt Vernon, WA and dropped off in Victoria, using Enterprise, and there was no fee. I did discover, though, that it against the law for a Canadian to rent a car in the US and then drive it across the border - they can and apparently do make you leave the car at the border, whether it is a rental or belongs to a friend or family member. There is an exceptional circumstances clause - i was in a bad accident and my van was unusable, but I had to sign a waiver at the rental agency in the US stating I was informed of the regulation, and was asked at the border. it was stressful, to say the least.

That being said, my understanding is that it doesn't apply to US citizens - there is no similar law, and I have no idea about renting in Canada and returning in the US. So it would be worth researching.

We almost always fly from Seattle, rather than Vancouver, and do a park, stay and fly, where the hotel includes a week of parking for with a one night stay. If its a long trip, we might stay before and after, and have the parking included. there's several hotels that offer this if you do a search you should come up with some.

Hope this helps!

Cori

oh - and I did a quick search and found this:

THE CONDITIONS FOR CANADIAN RESIDENT TO BRING A US RENTED VEHICLE INTO CANADA

- the conveyance, while in Canada is to be used solely for the transportation of a resident and accompanying persons from the point of arrival in Canada directly to a specified destination in Canada and from the specified destination to a destination outside Canada;

- in the case of a resident other than a commuter, the conveyance is to be imported only for the purpose of transporting his household or personal effects into or out of Canada, or for personal transportation as a result of an emergency or unforeseen contingency

Whimseysgirl,

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply! I had noticed the Lynden crossing on my map, but had not seen anyone mention of it before now, so I wasn't even considering it. The hours that they're open will definitely work. We arrive in Seattle on May 17 at 0900, and then will be driving back to Seattle on May 24 when the Serenade returns to Vancouver. The Serenade is due to sail at 1700, so I think we should be good to go with either Lynden or Sumas from the sound of it.

Out of curiosity, is there a telephone number we can call to get up to date (hourly update perhaps) on the conditions at the various crossings?

Also, when Hwy 1 does get jammed up, are there ways to exit and get around an accident, or are you just stuck? When you say that an accident can jam it up, how much time would it usually add to the trip from either Sumas or Lynden? Is this enough of an issue that I should go ahead and cross at one of the western locations?

Using roads that are less travelled doesn't bother me at all. I pretty well live on the road, and am quite comfy driving into areas that are new to me, as long as I have a map - and sometimes a good heads up on anything unique such as a border crossing.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Joe

Joe

You're welcome!

If there's an accident, the place that gets jams is closer to Sumas, past Lynden. There's a couple of long stretches (Sumas Flats is one of them) where there aren't a lot of options to get around traffic delays. It's not usually a problem, but we've had to wait upon occasion, so I felt it was worth a mention. There're a lot of roads around Lynden, so detours are possible, and I've never had a problem there. Besides AM 1130, which has "traffic on the ones" - meaning :01, :11, :21 etc. past the hour, there are traffic advisory stations as well, with various radio call numbers posted by the freeway/highways. I did a search and found this number: 604-542-4380 for traffic on the BC side of the border, but it'll be long distance and it might just be the 2 westernmost crossings. I have no idea if there's anything else...

I guess my main suggestion would be to have a map and/or route plan for Lynden, but listen to the radio and plan on taking the Truck or Peace Arch crossings if wait time is minimal, just to keep your drive time low. It doesn't add a lot onto the drive, but enough on each side of the border. You'll be missing the long weekend traffic, which will make for an easier crossing any way you go.

Enjoy your cruise! As you're heading out of Seattle on your way home on the 24th, we'll be landing there from Rome (TA with a few days at the end to play in Rome), on the same day!:D

Cori

When do you arrive in Vancouver? We get in on 5-17 on RCL. I am considering flying out of SEA to avoid the Canadian exit tax at the airport. I was considering the motorcoach just for the ease and no worry as it were.

There is no "Canadian Exit Tax", but US govt inspection fees for entering the USA, along with the normal CA airport improvement and security fees

YVR-SEA for a random date in June...

Departing airfare (Tango Plus) 80.00

Navcan and Surcharges NAV 7.50

Canada Airport Improvement Fee SQ 15.00

Canada Security Charge CA 7.94

Canada Goods and Services Tax (GST/HST #10009-2287) XG 5.52

U.S.A Transportation Tax US 15.20

U.S Agriculture Fee XA 4.94

U.S.A Immigration User Fee XY 6.91

Total airfare and taxes before options (per passenger) 143.01

MAXII

My pleasure. Really, it's one of those laws I think not many know about, especially as it's only one way, and only for Canadians crossing into Canada. I would never have known had I not been in that situation.

Driving and doing the parking is a pain, but it still pays off for us. Definitely look into the hotels that offer parking at a discount. There's also a site that rates lots at Sea-Tac - http://www.seattletravel.com/seatac-parking-seattle-airport.html that seems to have lots of info.

I'm wondering if you have found a particular lot that worked well, or one to avoid? On our next trip we're driving down same day as the the flight, so the hotel option isn't going to work and I'm exploring alternatives.

I'm originally from Vancouver and visit family there often (in Port Moody, Maple Ridge and Chilliwack). We always fly from Sacramento into Seattle, rent a car and drive into Canada. Port of entry preferred is Sumas, however we also do Lynden. We never, ever, go through the Peace Arch or the truck crossing as there is just too much traffic. We have come and gone at different times of day and have never waited more than 15 minutes. That said, I've never experienced problems getting around because when we cross at Sumas we usually head toward Mission and follow the highway into Vancouver that goes through Maple Ridge, can't remember the number though, sorry. You can take it all the way to downtown Vancouver. The reason the TransCanada is such a problem is that it is the only "freeway" into Vancouver and it ends just beyond Boundary Road where you have to fight your way through city streets anyhow. If you go through the Peace Arch or the truck stop you encounter the same problem if you go into Vancouver on the Deas Island highway.

We are sailing on the Norwegian Sun out of Miami in April, terminating in Vancouver in May and I am trying to figure out how to get down to Seatac. A family member is lined up to drive us, am a little leery of renting the car in Canada and dropping off in Seatac, the drop off fee sounds horrendous. Ditto the hours spent on the motorcoach waiting to cross the border.

Candidly I am shocked at the drop charges, I have only had the experience once and there was no drop charge. I think I would be talking directly to the location of rental because they have a lot of cars going back and forth between Vancouver and Seattle during cruise season and a call center agent my not realize this and just be quoting the partyline.

Archived