Walkie-Talkies onboard

tinacolada

Just wondering if any cruisers have used walkie talkies (2-way radios) to communicate with family members onboard ship. I had heard of that awhile back and always thought it was a good idea and wanted to try it. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Other threads have covered this, but basically other pax will have the same idea, so the channels will be jammed up. some people will be annoyed with you talking (think cell phone at a restaurant or movie theater). the steel in the ship may limit your coverage unless your out on deck. they don't weight much so bring them but YMMV.

Thanks for the info. I would prob only use it occasionally (trying to locate my older kids, etc) and yes, in the dining room would def be annoying. I'll prob give it a try. BTW, I don't post on message boards much and just recently started using this one-what does YMMV mean?

PS: do u remember where the other postings were by chance?

We have been on 7 cruises and take our walkie talkies all the time, to keep in touch, but mostly, to find each other, either on the ship or on shore.. They do come in handy, and as long as they are not abused, should not bother most other passengers. They are especially good on the larger ships. It can be frustrating trying to find other members of your party, on these huge ships. Sticky notes are great to bring along as well, to attach a note on a cabin door, to say where you can be found..

PS: do u remember where the other postings were by chance?

when you are on the main board--- up top on that tool bar you will see a search feature- open that op and type in walkie talkies..

when buying them-- make sure you get the kind that has rechareable batteries. those things eat through batteries like no tomorrow.

We too used the Talk about. cheap and does the trick but also most ships today have voice mail too.

We have been on 7 cruises and take our walkie talkies all the time, to keep in touch, but mostly, to find each other, either on the ship or on shore.. They do come in handy, and as long as they are not abused, should not bother most other passengers. They are especially good on the larger ships. It can be frustrating trying to find other members of your party, on these huge ships. Sticky notes are great to bring along as well, to attach a note on a cabin door, to say where you can be found...

Now that's a good idea... I never thought of that.

Just for the record, you're supposed to have a license to use these radios in the States, and they're definitely illegal for use in other countries. Can you get away with it, most likely. Just be aware that there is potential for trouble if using them in other countries. You could potentially be interfering with Emergency Services, or other services in their spectrum.

Just for the record, you're supposed to have a license to use these radios in the States, and they're definitely illegal for use in other countries.

Uh there are two kinds, GMRS and FRS. FRS is low powered and does not require a license. GMRS has more power and a license is required (but I have yet to have hear anyone get one). Sometimes newer (and more expensive) units come with both. Illegal outside of US, but...:cool:

Using a Amateur (HAM) Radio is another thread...:)

73's (Radio talk for "best regards")

Uh there are two kinds, GMRS and FRS. FRS is low powered and does not require a license. GMRS has more power and a license is required (but I have yet to have hear anyone get one). Sometimes newer (and more expensive) units come with both. Illegal outside of US, but...:cool:

We DID get the FCC license ($85 for five years, covers all family members).

Yep, almost all the radios in the States now require the license because the antennas on them don't meet the legal requirements for an unlicensed FRS unit. For what it's worth, I'd rather use my 2 meter HT, but that isn't allowed by RCL's rules, not to mention the XYL isn't the least bit interested in getting a license. ;)

73's back at ya,

KD4DYR

Yep, almost all the radios in the States now require the license because the antennas on them don't meet the legal requirements for an unlicensed FRS unit. For what it's worth, I'd rather use my 2 meter HT, but that isn't allowed by RCL's rules, not to mention the XYL isn't the least bit interested in getting a license. ;)

73's back at ya,

KD4DYR

I had NO idea that you need a license to operate a walkie-talkie! I wonder if mine, which is a Motorola Talkabout, T5200 needs one. I've had it for around 6 years and don't know if it's up to par but I would rather find smaller ones for convenience. But I do know that it ZAPS the batteries real fast! Thanks for the help everyone.

Archived