What to wear to dinner?

Jeseycruisers

Hi all. I'll be on the Conquest Nov. 14 (my first cruise!!) and I'm not sure what is typically worn to the dining room on formal nights. Are we talking a dressy skirt and top, or a more formal evening dress? And should the guys wear suits, or will khakis and a buton-down shirt be suitable? I don't want to be underdressed! Thanks!

formal night means for women an evening dress (from short cocktail dress to long gown), dressy pantsuit or long skirts and dressy tops and, for men, dark suit or tux.

Please, come join us on the cruise fashion board, it's a lot of fun.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

I will add that dressy pantsuits or long skirts with dressy tops are also alright on formal night for women.

formal night means for women an evening dress (from short cocktail dress to long gown), dressy pantsuit or long skirts and dressy tops and, for men, dark suit or tux.

I will add that dressy pantsuits or long skirts with dressy tops are also alright on formal night for women.

Thanks so much for that link to the fashion board! I always forget to go back there and read.

Slinkie

28_1_16.gif Heading back to Florida this week!

I just got back from Carnival Legend, and I did not bring any formal clothes with me, because I hate that stuff.

Anyway the first formal nite we simply ate upstairs at the buffet instead, on the second one we ate in the dining room. I wore khaki type pants and a patterned carribean type shirt. It was no problem, you do not have to dress up if you do not want to.

Some people think it's fun, I personally hate it, but they will not refuse you service in the dining room.

silverbk, not everyone likes to dress up, but it is expected that you will at least attempt to do so on formal nights. If you don't want to dress up, they do provide alternate and more casual dining. I don't know how long you've been around these boards, but statements like yours are asking for some pretty harsh words from those who like to dress up and follow the guidelines. Hope you're wearing a flame retardant suit!

I wore a silk T with a nice jacket and dress slacks, felt very comfortable.

On non-formal nights the tropical shirt and kahki slacks are just fine. On the Destiny, less then 20% in a tux. I don't know if a $39 Walmart sports coat classifies as formal.

I'll be on the Pride in November, but it's been a while since my last Carnival cruise, so I read with interest this thread and all others about what to wear in the dining room.

Based on other dress code threads I have been reading lately, can I assume that Carnival is less formal than Royal Caribbean? We have nice formal clothes, and enjoy dressing up, but I also don't want to be out of place, and I am concerned that if I take my floor length formal outfit, I will be.

I appreciate the feed back very much. I'm thinking I'll be better off taking a nice knee length black cocktail dress rather than my floor length formal outfit. I told my husband just to pack a suit...not his tux.

I'm hoping that at least aboard our holiday sailing that people will dress up a little. Maybe we'll plan to go to Davids on one of the formal nights, where people might be more inclined to dress up. If most people do not dress up, neither will we. I know last December, everyone dressed up aboard the Navigator. I have no problems NOT dressing up, but then I want to know.

Thanks again for everyone's comment. I am finding it very helpful.

We will be on the Conquest the week after you. We were on the Conquest in February. The formal nights were nice. I brought a black spaghetti-strapped dressy dress for one night and a black pants suit for another night. My husband and son had suits. We saw ladies in full formals (splashy flashy) all the way to just Sunday type dresses. It seemed no one really cared what others had on, because everyone was having fun. One very important thiing to bring to dinner is a jacket. It gets chilly in the dining room. Two weeks ago I went on the Holiday "cruise-to-nowhere" and got a bad sunburn. Well that night in the dining room I was shivering so bad that I couldn't eat a thing.

Well don't worry about what to wear . . . . just have fun and eat lots of good stuff! Oh, and take care of the Conquest for me. Leave some of the ice cream from the ice cream machine for me!!!

Archived