Scuba over 50 ??

dirvin0500

I am really excited about our "Intro to Scuba" in Cozumel in May. I am really interested in getting certified and diving more after our return. I was just reading on Scuba Forum that "people shouldn't dive after the age of 50". There was an article about Donald Sutherland and how he almost died by diving after the age of 50 because a blood vessel broke in his lungs. It also cited other men who died from embolisms from diving after 50.

Anyone ever heard of this? Should I be worried? :confused: :eek:

Absolutely not. Older people may be at more risk for decompression illness due to a less efficient circulatory system, being out of shape or carrying excess body fat. You can always dive more conservatively, just to be safe. I don't see any reason not to dive, unless you have health issues that would prevent it.

There is a man in our area who certified the owner of my dive shop (she's in her 50s). He must be around 70! That is what I want to be doing when I am his age.

I started diving last year, shortly after my 50th. I did check with my doctor first who had no concerns.

A very good resource for medical related dive questions is the Divers Alert Network (DAN). They have a free, searchable archive of information about all sorts of medical questions.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/index.asp

A FAQ reply about older divers is at

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=13

DAN also provides good low cost dive insurance.

I am really excited about our "Intro to Scuba" in Cozumel in May. I am really interested in getting certified and diving more after our return. I was just reading on Scuba Forum that "people shouldn't dive after the age of 50". There was an article about Donald Sutherland and how he almost died by diving after the age of 50 because a blood vessel broke in his lungs. It also cited other men who died from embolisms from diving after 50.

Hi,

Hate to admit it but I'm a card carrying AARP member myself, and I outdive a lot of the "youngsters" in my dive club. The real question is your fitness level (just did my fourth hour of high impact aerobics of the week this morning and have three hours to go by the weekend), medical history (you should, as anyone should, talk to your doctor before engaging in any new strenuous activity) and comfort in the water. If you have green lights in all three go for it! I don't plan on slowing down anytime soon, in fact I'm getting a few new certifications next month to move me up to the PADI Master Diver level (I'm at Rescue Diver with a few specialties right now)! :D

Randall

Hi dirvin0500,

I have never heard "that people shouldn't dive after age 50." I guess I'm in trouble! At any age, before starting any type of exercise or strenuous activity, it would be advisable to check with your physician to make sure you are in good health. (I don't remember--the classes may even require a statement from your doc). My dad certified in his mid-fifties and loved it so much he became a dive master/instructor. He taught SCUBA classes for many years at one of the colleges in our area. He was still diving and teaching in his 70's. He is now in his eighties. He was on a family cruise last year, and wanted to dive in Cozumel...he was having some minor health issues at the time, and we discouraged it. He still comes over to my house and plays around with dive equipment in our pool.

Have you looked into certifying before you go to Cozumel? I certified back in 1980. We had to do our "open water" certification dives in some lakes in Texas which don't compare to the gorgeous water in Cozumel. My first "real" dive was in Cozumel. We flew down there for 7 days of solid SCUBA diving! I was apprehensive at the time, and told my husband that I was not going to go any deeper than 30-40 feet when we got to the first dive site. It was Palancar Reef and it was so clear and beautiful. I was amazed that we were at 75-80 feet. It was wonderful!!! Through the years, we did a lot of diving in Cozumel. You will love it. A previous poster (John Y) mentioned the DAN network archives for questions. I agree that is a great resource. Good luck. I hope you enjoy many years of diving.

Sherrie:)

I really appreciate all the quick responses. I am Type II diabetic however am not insulin dependant. Chellie at Eagle Ray Divers wanted me to check with my Doctor and bring a letter on her letterhead stating that it was alright to dive. We are only going to be at a maximum depth of 40' for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

I wanted to do the intro as the "class" and first shallow reef dive of 45 mintues is only $80 and then another 40 if we really like it and want to go out into the deeper water. That's a lot cheaper than the $500 it takes to get certified. There is only one place here in Montgomery, AL that can certify you also. We leave in only 55 days and they do their 6 OW dives in a fresh water place in the Florida Panhandle so I doubt if there would be time even if I wanted to.

Oh well, if I really really like it (I LOVE snorkeling and really want to be "down there" with what I can see from the surface) then we will look into getting certified before next year's trip back to Cancun. :)

A few years ago I was diving in Hawaii with Dive Makai. The co-owner at that time was one of the guides. She did at least one dive a day, sometimes two dives. I didn't ask her age, but I'd guess it was late 60's, early 70's. She had over 12,000 dives and wasn't going to be stopping anytime soon. I think that diving after 50 is something that a reasonably fit adult can do safely.

You just have to be a little more careful doing the things that will lessen the chances of taking a DCS hit; stay well hydrated, wear the proper thermal protection, and try to keep physically fit. Try to avoid aggressive dive profiles, don't push your NDL limits, and do extended safety stops.

I am about to turn 48 in May. I am overweight, have high blood pressure, and have survived cancer.There is NO WAY I am going to give up diving! My doctor (a diver also) even cleared me, which was a big surprize. He told me I could have a heart attack on the couch as easily as I could underwater. Of course if you have one while diving underwater you are probably dead but if you screw up while doing a deep solo dive you are probably dead too.My doctor did tell me that he thought my little solo escapades to the Mt. Carmel Church Cemetery were foolish---but I gotta get my "Jocassee high" on the weekends.I do try drive to dive Nitrox as a safety precaution if the dives are shallow enough and I do nice long safety stops at the mid pont of my dive and at 15 feet.I try to drink plenty of Gator aid to stay hydrated.My advice is to "go for it" if your doctor approves.

I really appreciate all the quick responses. I am Type II diabetic however am not insulin dependant.

My dive buddy is retired (in his late 60s) and Type II diabetic and I know that DAN, the Divers Alert Network, recently published a document about diving with Type II. They recommended that (notice the blood glucose recommendation when you start your dive (≥150), this is larger than you may be maintaining (wohoo, you can have sugar on your cereal before the dive):

Scope of Diving

• Diving should be planned to avoid

- depths >100 fsw (30 msw)

- durations >60 minutes

- compulsory decompression stops

- overhead environments (e.g., cave, wreck penetration)

- situations that may exacerbate hypoglycemia (e.g., prolonged cold and arduous dives)

• Dive buddy/leader informed of diver’s condition and steps to follow in case of problem

• Dive buddy should not have diabetes

Glucose Management on the Day of Diving

• General self-assessment of fitness to dive

• Blood glucose (BG) 150 mg·dL-1 (8.3 mmol·L-1), stable or rising, before entering the water

- complete a minimum of three pre-dive BG tests to evaluate trends

60 minutes, 30 minutes and immediately prior to diving

- alterations in dosage of OHA or insulin on evening prior or day of diving may help

• Delay dive if BG

- <150 mg·dL-1 (8.3 mmol·L-1)

- >300 mg·dL-1 (16.7 mmol·L-1)

• Rescue medications

- carry readily accessible oral glucose during all dives

- have parenteral glucagon available at the surface

• If hypoglycemia noticed underwater, the diver should surface (with buddy), establish positive

buoyancy, ingest glucose and leave the water

• Check blood sugar frequently for 12-15 hours after diving

• Ensure adequate hydration on days of diving

• Log all dives (include BG test results and all information pertinent to diabetes management)

Hope this helps,

Randall

This was news to me. I am always skeptical of things I hear from the Internet. I did some digging and found numerous articles about Donald Sutherland's scuba diving accident. There is something in every article which is slightly different from the other articles. They all claim to quote the conversation with a doctor. In some the events unfold over a few days. Some he is band from returning to Australia. One he is checked into the Betty Ford Clinic for nuclear medicine.

From everything I read I believe the real story is that Donald Sutherland, at the age of 72, decided to learn scuba diving. His suffered from medical conditions which should have prohibited him from scuba diving. His medical history would indicate that the condition existed since he was 50 years old.

In other words, Donald Sutherland should not scuba dive over the age of 50. Someone twisted this into "people should not scuba dive over the age of 50."

I have typically found universal statements are only partially true. No medical professional would every make a claim that all people over 50 should never XXXX. I'm not far from 50 and have a perfect bill of health from my doctor. I have every plan to scuba dive well into my 70s.

Here's where I read the story (source: London Evening Standard)

www.cdnn.info/news/safety/s080202.html

Donald Sutherland got the embolism diving on location for a movie. Given the way he talks about refusing his doctor's advice and telling an MD his business, I'd hazard a guess that he ignored his divemaster's instructions too. Ascended too fast, or held his breath while ascending. Arrogance got him his embolism, not age. The article itself does no fact-checking, taking Sutherland at his word.

As for your "intro to scuba" dirvin0500, you definitely need a doctors okay. You mention a max depth of 40 feet. That sounds kinda deep to me for uncertified divers.

I'm ambivalent about these "intro to scuba" dives. I did one a few years back, in Cabo San Lucas thru Princess. I was halfway through my scuba certification when I did it, and there were several things about the dive that even I knew were alarming. First, the gear was in bad shape. Mouthpieces on the regs were inadequate, making them easy to lose. (Way to panic a novice diver, losing his air supply at depth!) My submersible pressure gauge had a slow leak, releasing a slow stream of bubbles (there's 3000psi of air pressure at that hose connection...) We had 2 instructors with our small group, but even so at one point both of them had to assist one diver, leaving me and one other guy hanging with nobody else in sight. Worst of all, when recovering divers, the boat's engine was running and in gear... with the prop spinning! With a bunch of uncertified novices in the water... It was a PADI shop, the people were nice enough, and we all survived. But still...

It's possible to do your classroom and pool work at home and then get a referral to do the open-water dives part of your certification somewhere else - like Cozumel.

By the way, I'm well past 50. Actually, I'm not even in my 50's anymore! Jacques-Yves Cousteau dove into his 80's.

I plan to do the same. Anyone who says that no one should dive after 50 is exhibiting ageism. It depends upon physical fitness and health issues - no matter how old you are.

event.png

event.png

event.png

event.png

image.php?code=0XT13269d6Xk17Xs22XEmerald%20Princess%20SCUBA%20cruise

Here's where I read the story (source: London Evening Standard)

www.cdnn.info/news/safety/s080202.html

Donald Sutherland got the embolism diving on location for a movie. Given the way he talks about refusing his doctor's advice and telling an MD his business, I'd hazard a guess that he ignored his divemaster's instructions too. Ascended too fast, or held his breath while ascending. Arrogance got him his embolism, not age. The article itself does no fact-checking, taking Sutherland at his word.

As for your "intro to scuba" dirvin0500, you definitely need a doctors okay. You mention a max depth of 40 feet. That sounds kinda deep to me for uncertified divers.

I'm ambivalent about these "intro to scuba" dives. I did one a few years back, in Cabo San Lucas thru Princess. I was halfway through my scuba certification when I did it, and there were several things about the dive that even I knew were alarming. First, the gear was in bad shape. Mouthpieces on the regs were inadequate, making them easy to lose. (Way to panic a novice diver, losing his air supply at depth!) My submersible pressure gauge had a slow leak, releasing a slow stream of bubbles (there's 3000psi of air pressure at that hose connection...) We had 2 instructors with our small group, but even so at one point both of them had to assist one diver, leaving me and one other guy hanging with nobody else in sight. Worst of all, when recovering divers, the boat's engine was running and in gear... with the prop spinning! With a bunch of uncertified novices in the water... It was a PADI shop, the people were nice enough, and we all survived. But still...

That is scary. I thought my first diving experience (discover scuba in DR) was bad. No one died in that one either. :)

That is scary. I thought my first diving experience (discover scuba in DR) was bad. No one died in that one either. :)

Sounds like the discover dive my dive instructor witnessed in the Bahamas. The dive master took the new diver 85 ft. down a wall :eek: (the PADI limit for discover dives is 45 ft.). Being someone who goes by the book, he reported the dive master and his activity to the dive shop owner (who was a friend of his) and the dive master got an ear load before he was let go. I assume he won't do that again. Luckly the new diver wasn't aware of any of this conflict and came out of the dive just fine.:)

Randall

I really appreciate everyone's input. I am the eternal pesimist however really really want to dive. I have done a BUNCH of research on this board as well as others on the web and have decided on Chellie and Antonio of Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel. I've heard LOTS of good things about them. The only negatives is that their boats are small (HELLO - Small boats means small groups) and they are older. Heck, I'm older but if kept in good shape should run fine......

I'm going for it......

My first deep tech dive in Grand Cayman was to 150 feet, and I have never gone below about 170 because recompression chambers only go to 165 feet (six atmospheres). But on that first deep dive, I eventually noticed divers much farther down the wall. One of them, a man in his 70s, was on his way up from a dive to 300 feet! During an ice age, when sea level was much lower, an ancient beach was formed at that depth, and he went down there to see it (I spoke with him about two hours after I got out of the water, after his decompression obligation). And in a Scubadiving issue last year they profiled a man in his late 80s who was awarded salvage rights to the Lusitania. In his mid 80s he dove to the deck of the Lusitania, well ovoer 300 feet down.

I have spoken with hyperbaric physicians who believe Sutherland is full of it. He screwed up, causing his own lung injury. Health and fitness are the limiting factor, not age.

Right I'm 58+ and the only way I will stop diving is when they sprinkle my ashes when i'm dead. Take your dive slow, you see alot more and use less air so you have more down time.

Bob

I am 56 and took the beginners scuba course in Cozumel last Feb:) . Since then, I received my PADI certification and really enjoy diving. I agree with one of the other posters. Get with your physician and see if there is any reason YOU shouldn't dive. The area in Cozumel goes from 15 - 4o feet and is fabulous. We had an instructor named Luis and he stayed right there with us and communicated with us every 5 to 10 feet. There were six people in our group. Go for it.:) BTW, we didn't go on a boat. We walked right into the water and dove from the shore. I know they do drift diving in Cozumelso I am not sure how strong of a current you will encounter from a boat. Just be careful and stay near the dive master and have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Horse pucky!

I'm planning on diving until I have to be tossed off the back of the boat, and pulled back on-board with a block & tackle by my personal old-age nurse.

Here's a picture of our dive group from last month in Curacao. We ladies are a tad over 40, and the gentlemen are pushing 50. If you could see my hair (I'm in the beanie & hood), it would be more salt than pepper.

As long as your Dr. says OK (which goes for ANY age), go for it!

Have a great time, and welcome to the addiction.

Wendy

http://www.the-dive-bus.com/index.php?spgmGal=Diving%20with%20The%20Dive%20Bus/February%2008&spgmPic=182&spgmFilters=&option=com_mambospgm&Itemid=10#pic

We have 2 gentlemen diving 8 days with us right now and they are in their 60's. They are excellent divers and a pleasure to have on our boat. Both are Nitrox certified and use it daily. Neither one of them push their limits. It will be sad when they leave because we've had such a great time with them. One of them only has one arm and that doesn't affect his diving.

Thank you to the person who posted DAN's report on Diabetes. I've had to look that up recently and was going to post it also.

You've done the required procedures by getting your doctor's ok and you are going to be just fine!

My original certification date is 2 May, 1962, and began teaching with PADI in 1971. The one thing I do know is, I will know when its time to hang up the fins, and right now, even after an open-heart valve job, its just not time yet.;)

The most important thing is you discuss you condition with your MD, if they are not a diver bring the supporting infor from DAN. Diving over 50 is very common. I'll let you know how common in another 1 1/2 years. Iv'e been diving over 30 years and had the pleasure of teaching several people over the age of 60. The oldest being a 69 year old grandmother. She took the class with her 45 year old son. She was much more comfortable and competant in the water. She recognized her limitations which made her a safer diver in my opinion. Her son the airline pilot wouldn't admit to what made him uncomfortible and had many more problems due to his macho attitudes.

Go diving & have fun blowing bubbles!

Archived