Seabourn Spirit 14-21 june ( Rome-Athens): some questions and a roll call

ralf

Hi,

We’re very excited as we’ve booked the Seabourn Spirit cruise Rome – Athens ( 14 till 21 june 2008 ) ( Rome-Amalfi-Taormina-Katakolon(Olympia)-Itea(Delphi)-Nauplion(Mycene)-Athens )

Our last Seabourn cruise dated from oktober 2006 – too long ago, so we were showing some withdrawal symptoms J . But now all is well as we’ll going again on a Seabourn cruise !

If anyone is also on this cruise , don’t hesitate to let us know !

I was doing some research on what to see and do, and as we’ve a preference to do our own tours, I was wondering if someone knows some answers ;-)

-I think that Amalfi, Taormina and Nauplion are tender ports ? And Katakolon ( Olympia ) is not a tender port ? Is this correct ? But Itea ( Delphi ) I really don’t know.

-We’ll be in Navplion having the “exclusive Seabourn Navplion experience “, i.e. Greek dances and folklore on the Arvinitia Beach . Does anyone know when this starts as we’re think of perhaps arranging a private excursion to Mycene, but it would be a shame to miss this Seabourn experience by returning too late.

And any advice will be highly appreciated !

Kind regards,

Ralf & Johan

BELGIUM

Hi,

We’re very excited as we’ve booked the Seabourn Spirit cruise Rome – Athens ( 14 till 21 june 2008 ) ( Rome-Amalfi-Taormina-Katakolon(Olympia)-Itea(Delphi)-Nauplion(Mycene)-Athens )

Our last Seabourn cruise dated from oktober 2006 – too long ago, so we were showing some withdrawal symptoms J . But now all is well as we’ll going again on a Seabourn cruise !

If anyone is also on this cruise , don’t hesitate to let us know !

I was doing some research on what to see and do, and as we’ve a preference to do our own tours, I was wondering if someone knows some answers ;-)

-I think that Amalfi, Taormina and Nauplion are tender ports ? And Katakolon ( Olympia ) is not a tender port ? Is this correct ? But Itea ( Delphi ) I really don’t know.

-We’ll be in Navplion having the “exclusive Seabourn Navplion experience “, i.e. Greek dances and folklore on the Arvinitia Beach . Does anyone know when this starts as we’re think of perhaps arranging a private excursion to Mycene, but it would be a shame to miss this Seabourn experience by returning too late.

And any advice will be highly appreciated !

Kind regards,

Ralf & Johan

BELGIUM

Hallo Ralf en Johan!

I started to write in Dutch, but corrected that, because the others may want to read this too. I thought I recognized your names or rather remembered, but October 2006.......... I don't know, then it had to be before. Anyway, I'm Marja from Holland and my husband is René.

We are thinking about this cruise.

But I can answer you about some ports. Katakolon, Itea and Nauplion are docking ports. I've been there before.

The tour Seabourn offers for Mycaene and Epidaurus was very nice. I enjoyed it a lot.

Who knows we will meet (again?) on this cruise.

Vrolijk Pasen!

Marja

Hi Marja, hi Rogier21,

Many thanks to your both for clearing that part concerning the tender and docking ports !

I have to admit that we were already once with the Seabourn Spirit in Navplion, but that was already some years ago, ... in 2001 ( and I couldn't remember if we were tendered or docked ) and due to a strike then everything was closed and so Seabourn was forced to cancel all excursions ! :-(

And Marja, I remember you and your husband. We met on the Seabourn Legend in 2003 ( Nice - Rome ). I remember that you had a digital camera and we were still using a anologue one and you gave us a lot of information on it ! And now we also have one ! :-)

It would be great to meet you on this cruise. So we hope you will be able to join this cruise.

Kind regards,

en een vrolijk Pasen ( for the other Seabourn readers, Marja and I speak both Dutch, translation = and a happy Easter )

Ralf & johan

Hi Ralf & Johan

We're a couple of Brits also on the 14 June Spirit cruise. Look forward to meeting you, only 11 weeks on Saturday (not that we're counting!). Remember to bring the Belgian chocolates!!

Peter & Linda

Hello Ralf and Johan, Peter and Linda,

Although we're not joining you on this segment, it is identical to the first week of our cruise starting on 25th October. So we're very interested in any information you care to share about the trip, both before and afterwards:) .

This will be our first time in Greece, so we are very excited.

We have started reading about the ports. Someone on another thread said that renting a care and driving from Katakolon to Olympia was good way to go. Any comments?

Cheers,

Steve and (Christopher)

Greetings Ralf and Johan-

We are yanks from Salt Lake City joining you and this is our second time to Greece. Delphi was a great visit and the transit of the Corinth canal a real treat that can only be done on a "small" ship. I hope to meet you on board in a short few months!

Brad and Karen

Check this out: June 18 is missing on the itinerary on Seabourn's website. Are you sure the Spirit will go through the Corinth Canal?

This morning the Olympic Flame was lit in the ancient Olympia. There was a disturbance by some men from Tibet. I haven't been to Olympia myself, but last year the surroundings completely burned down during the terrible fires in Greece. Delphi is very worthwhile visiting and also Mycaene and Epidaurus.

Marja

Hi,

Indeed the Corinth Canal passage is missing on seabourn.com, but it's mentioned in the Seabourn brochure 2008 and as John already confirmed this passage ( thank you John for your assurance ), I'm quite confident we'll see the huge walls when cruising through this canal. ( In 2001 we also passed this canal on the Spirit and we were quite impressed, and now about 7 years later we have again the opportunity to pass this canal - we feel very lucky and priviliged ! ).

Peter and Linda, it's a promise ! :-) we'll bring a box of Belgian chocolats for you

Brad & Karen and John , I don't know if you also like Belgian chocolates, but if you do, let me know, then we'll also surprise you with a Belgian chocolate box !

We will probably do Amalfi and Taormina on our own.

In Katakolon we are thinking of taking a taxi ( pre-arranged ? ) to Olympia.

In Itea ( Delphi ) we'll take a Seabourn excursion to Delphi as it's in our opinion too risky to do Delpli on our own ( being in the harbour from 08:00 till 13:00 and taking into account that the drive will be approximately 30' ).

In Navplion we're still undecided ( a seabourn excursion to Mycene or renting a taxi ( pre-arranged ? ) ).

After the cruise, we'll be staying one night in Athens and return sunday evening to Belgium, so that we can be back at work monday morning :-(

( it will be quite difficult go back to work after a week of being pampered ! ;-) ).

Kind regards,

ralf & johan

Hi,

Indeed the Corinth Canal passage is missing on seabourn.com, but it's mentioned in the Seabourn brochure 2008 and as John already confirmed this passage ( thank you John for your assurance ), I'm quite confident we'll see the huge walls when cruising through this canal. ( In 2001 we also passed this canal on the Spirit and we were quite impressed, and now about 7 years later we have again the opportunity to pass this canal - we feel very lucky and priviliged ! ).

Peter and Linda, it's a promise ! :-) we'll bring a box of Belgian chocolats for you

Brad & Karen and John , I don't know if you also like Belgian chocolates, but if you do, let me know, then we'll also surprise you with a Belgian chocolate box !

We will probably do Amalfi and Taormina on our own.

In Katakolon we are thinking of taking a taxi ( pre-arranged ? ) to Olympia.

In Itea ( Delphi ) we'll take a Seabourn excursion to Delphi as it's in our opinion too risky to do Delpli on our own ( being in the harbour from 08:00 till 13:00 and taking into account that the drive will be approximately 30' ).

In Navplion we're still undecided ( a seabourn excursion to Mycene or renting a taxi ( pre-arranged ? ) ).

After the cruise, we'll be staying one night in Athens and return sunday evening to Belgium, so that we can be back at work monday morning :-(

( it will be quite difficult to go back to work after a week of being pampered ! ;-) ).

Kind regards,

ralf & johan

Hallo Zuiderburen!

We have decided (or rather René) against this cruise, but the good news is, we booked another one! As a matter of fact he is probably right, because we have done this itinerary a couple of times already.

I would definitely advise you to take the Seabourn Mycaene and Epidaurus tour; I liked it a lot. René and I did go to Delphi in a taxi, but I'm not sure what time the ship left then. In Delphi I do advise you to go to the museum at the entrance as well.

Hope to sail with you in the future and I wish you a wonderful cruise!

Marja

Marja,

I see that you are defecting to Silversea for your July cruise.I think it is best to sail with both lines now and again.I still can't find anything better than Silversea ships and Seabourn service.We will see if that changes when we sail on the Odyssey.

We have sailed on Silversea twice before, once on the Cloud and once on the Whisper. So far Seabourn is still our favorite, but it can't hurt to compare every once in a while. And by the way it was the different itinerary that got my attention. A lot of Swedish ports and some Finnish as well. Seabourn's itinerary in Northern Europe doesn't change much, though I'm about to book a Northern Europe cruise on the Pride for next year!

Marja

Hi Marja,

Sorry to hear you won't be joining us on this cruise, but we're very happy for you and renée that you have another wonderful cruise planned.

So we wish you all the best on your upcoming cruise ( on Silversea it seems )!

We did not yet have the pleasure to cruise on a Silversea ship, but I know that it's one of the best companies, so you'll be in for a perfect holiday.

Wishing you all the best,

ralf & johan

Archived