Embarkation ?

dest1ny

We are leaving from Barcelona and would like to embark/have lunch on-board then leave the ship to see the city since we do not leave until 8pm. Does anyone know if this is possible and if not is the option avail to drop your luggage off and then not embark until later in the evening?

Of course you can visit Barcelona after checking into the ship. We're doing the exact same thing in May although we are arriving one day early to see a little more of Barcelona. No point in sitting on the ship all day when Barcelona beckons. Just eat your meals on board & don't miss the sailing.:)

We are leaving from Barcelona and would like to embark/have lunch on-board then leave the ship to see the city since we do not leave until 8pm. Does anyone know if this is possible and if not is the option avail to drop your luggage off and then not embark until later in the evening?

Dest1NY,

We did exactly what you are suggesting on our Barcelona to Istanbul cruise.

One thing you might want to consider, though, is that Oceania will collect your passport when you check in.

Stan and I were fine with leaving our passports with the ship while we toured. His parents, however, were slightly freaked out at the thought, and refused to leave the ship.

As it turned out, the ship kept our passports for the entire cruise, except Rhodes, where they were released, and then collected at sailing time.

Have a wonderful cruise! Barcelona is Amazing!

I arrived in Barcelona a day early but that wasn't near enough time to see this spectacular city. Our bus picked us up at 10:00 AM from the hotel, we checked in in 15 minutes, took a quick tour of the ship, then took the city bus that passes through the port area every 10-15 minutes back into town. Wandered some more in the Gothic Quarter, found a great spot for lunch, and meandered down Las Ramblas to the Columbus statue where we reboarded the city bus back to the dock. It was a perfect afternoon and we were on board with plenty of time to unpack and enjoy the sailaway.

One word of caution: be extremely careful with your personal belongings. I would only take a small amount of cash and a credit card on your exploration. When we got on board, we heard of fellow passenger who had done much the same thing we did and stopped with her group at an outdoor cafe for lunch. She placed her purse next to her chair on the ground. Apparently another group sat at the next table and used a hook to snag her purse--so well done that she never noticed it was missing until she went to pay her tab.

Also be very careful with backpacks. We just returned from a land trip in Costa Rica; on a crowded downtown sidewalk, my DH was the victim of a very slick team-the lady walked in front of him, darting back and forth, then stopped so suddenly that he bumped right into her--while her accomplice opened the backpack and stole the $1000 cameraI had given him for Christmas. Day One of vacation, too--luckily HE had given ME a small camera too, so we did get some great photos--but that experience put a damper on our trip to say the least! No more backpacks for us! On a positive note, it is easily replaced and wasn't our passports or credit cards--that would have been horrible. Now I always leave our passports locked in the hotel/stateroom safe, and just keep a copy with me when I am out and about. It pays to be careful!

Cathy

Archived